Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Bundeswehr lover in all of us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilkommen Hoover! Great to have another Bundeswehr veteran on here.

I got these few weeks ago. They are braune Kampfschuhe used by BW in 1970s that were introduced for wear with moleskin uniform. Very hard to find, these are unfortunately too small for me. Size "40" and maker "Continental" on soles. Tongue is marked "408 1074." Metal eyelets by Stocko.

regards
    Klaus

Last edited by Klaus1989; 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hoover - Herzlich Wilkommen!

My first question - Did you have a helmet cover? If the answer is yes, what kind?

Thanks - TJ

Klaus - Nice boots! I've got some brown ones somewhere, I've got to pull them out.

BTW, my oliv NATO jeans came in the mail today from Cabelas. They were brand new and they only cost $15.00 a pair!

Thanks for the tip - TJ

P.S. - Here's our man (on the right) from post #249 upon graduation from basic training (Rendsburg, 1959).

Comment

Second try on the Rendsburg Soldaten.
        Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

Great photo of the early belt in wear. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome

I noted your comment about making noise and light with the Bw flare gun. I see 2 flare pistols in your pic. I bought one recently and fired about 20 flares - red star cluster and green - this past weekend. Very loud and it really has a kick. My hand and thumb were killing me after that and I only fired 20 flares!! I see you have gloves and that prob. helped - and I guess that you alternated left and right hands. I fired several green flares horizontally - actually at a 45 degree angle - and the range was incredible! I cleared some trees out past a field in the country! Not sure the distance.
            Yes, I changed my hands every five shot. And the gloves added some padding, too. I had to change the pistol every 50 shot because the gun became hot.

In some exercises with the Dutch, British and US Forces I have seen, that the German flares are a little bit better in terms of light and range.

Can you tell me if the P38 made in Ulm/Donau was still being used as a sidearm or did the P1 replace it. Or, were the 2 used at the same time. Others have told me also that the Police NEVER used P1, only P225 (Sig P6) - any truth to this? Others have said each state police force used different sidearms such as H and K, etc. BUt NO P1's.
            Only the very early Bundeswehr used the P38. From 1957 on Walther manufactured the P1, a similar pistol but with grip (lower receiver) made from light metal (Alluminium). So the P38 and the P1 was used only a short time in early years. But in the 90´s we still found old P38 magazines used with the P1. I loved the P1 much better than the P8.

The German police used a lot of weapons because every "Bundesland" (like Bavaria, Lower Saxony or Berlin) was responsible for the equipment, not the German Gouvernment itself. So some used the H&K P7, Some the P225 and P226. But no Police Force used the P1. The BGS used the Spanish Star pistol in the early years (together with the Beretta 38/49 SMG).

The euqipment of the different police units is a very difficult area.

Helmet covers? As a recruits we only got the helmet net. After some exercises a lot of us obtained helmet covers (I traded one of the British DPM-covers for a pair of dry socks in Winter 1990/1991 ) others bought woodland covers etc.

Only very few managed to get Bw-helmet Covers made from the old tent sections or tent bags, called "Amöbentarn". They were the early tent in Splinter camo with overprint.

When we were reequippet with the new camo uniforms in mid 1990 (1995 or 1996) we got the flecktarn covers for the new aramid-helmets.

Bye
            Frank

Comment

Danke Frank!

TJ

Comment

Hoover:
                This may seem to be stupid question, but what kind of holster was the P1 carried in? I never seen a green vinyl version, black leather ones and flecktarn ones, but know the latter was not used in 1980s and doubt the former was.

regards
                Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                  Helmet covers? As a recruits we only got the helmet net. After some exercises a lot of us obtained helmet covers (I traded one of the British DPM-covers for a pair of dry socks in Winter 1990/1991 ) others bought woodland covers etc.

Only very few managed to get Bw-helmet Covers made from the old tent sections or tent bags, called "Amöbentarn". They were the early tent in Splinter camo with overprint.

When we were reequippet with the new camo uniforms in mid 1990 (1995 or 1996) we got the flecktarn covers for the new aramid-helmets.

Bye
                  Frank
                  Genosse,
                  Of the "Self funded" Helmet Covers which was the more Chic for a young Soldat to have?... I was aware trading for NATO Pattern Camo was done by the Bw, I'm interested which, if any was the fashion thing to have..... .
                  I like the 59 pattern Bw or Amöbentarn covers... I have a 59 Hood folded so it is a useable Cover with an issue Net and a custom made Amöbentarn Cover... both sides useable with added foliage loops with an Issue Net.... this one is on a FJ M1 style Lid.

I only Collect the Grey Green Bw period... so any interesting Helmet Covers adds spice to their Kampfanzug.....

Comment

Helmet Covers?

Most of the conscripts didn´t have any covers. It was a question of fashion and to be "hip"... and being a little bit individual.

Most of the soldiers used the US woodland cover (fits perfectly). I was a very trendy boy with my DPM cover. The Amöbentarn-covoer was maufactured by the taylor ladies in our barracks. Every barracks had their tayors for sewing and altering the clothes.

In summer most of the career soldiers had cut the green shirt to short seeve shirt. against the regulation, but the commanding officers accepted it...and some wore them, oo.

An interesting time were the months of the change from green to flecktarn-camo. Some got 1 set camos and 2 sets of green. Officially we are not allowed to wear the uniforms mixed, but on exercises it was not uncommon.

In 1994 I still wore the green uniform but with the new webbing in olive green. Then we got the camos and after some weeks the new camo webbing. Nice mix in those days.

That´s me on an exercise in 1995 in Garlstedt. I really hadn´t much work, so my Gameboy was a very important friend.

Live firing, I am the security officer on the left. In the Bundeswehr it was not uncommon for Feldwebel doing officers duties.

Comment

Hi!

I have just started a new thread with some scans of old magazines.

Comment

Gents - Two BW Wachbatallion tunics are currently up for auction on Manion's with a reserve price of $40.00 USD.

TJ
                        Attached Files

Comment

Detail of the shoulder sleeve insignia.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Detail of the battalion cuff band.
                            Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

I've looked at these tunics and something just doesn't look right about them. Can not put my finger on it but that is my gut feeling. I'd wait for one with the boards.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Hoover - Can you tell us about the patches on your uniform?

What qualification badge are you wearing? What did you have to do to earn it?

What kind of unit patch are you wearing on your sleeve?

Thanks - TJ

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                                Helmet Covers?

Most of the conscripts didn´t have any covers. It was a question of fashion and to be "hip"... and being a little bit individual.

Most of the soldiers used the US woodland cover (fits perfectly). I was a very trendy boy with my DPM cover. The Amöbentarn-covoer was maufactured by the taylor ladies in our barracks. Every barracks had their tayors for sewing and altering the clothes.

In summer most of the career soldiers had cut the green shirt to short seeve shirt. against the regulation, but the commanding officers accepted it...and some wore them, oo.

An interesting time were the months of the change from green to flecktarn-camo. Some got 1 set camos and 2 sets of green. Officially we are not allowed to wear the uniforms mixed, but on exercises it was not uncommon.

In 1994 I still wore the green uniform but with the new webbing in olive green. Then we got the camos and after some weeks the new camo webbing. Nice mix in those days.

That´s me on an exercise in 1995 in Garlstedt. I really hadn´t much work, so my Gameboy was a very important friend.

Live firing, I am the security officer on the left. In the Bundeswehr it was not uncommon for Feldwebel doing officers duties.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 38 users online. 0 members and 38 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X