Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Bundeswehr lover in all of us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kameraden - Unfortunately, a couple of posts were lost during the maintenance activities that occured this weekend, including the one where I addressed Gordon's queries and a nice exchange between Klaus and I on field caps. Oh well....

As you've figured out by now, the "Viktor Standard" is our faithful comrade's insistence on photographic evidence or specific references from the appropriate regulations to address questions on uniform and equipment wear. No slack!

Albert and Hoover have pointed out that there are two U.S. Infantry Badges in question. The Expert Infantry Badge is a peacetime skills qualification badge awarded after a three day period of skills testing, land navigation, and a timed forced march with full pack (in the Leistungsabzeichen qualification march, its customary to march the last mile barefoot). Eligible NATO infantrymen are also allowed to compete for the badge as circumstances permit (likewise with the Leistungsabzeichen).

The Combat Infantry Badge (picture attached) is currently awarded to U.S. Infantrymen at the Brigade level and below who serve in sustained ground combat operations for a designated period of time, usually between 30-60 days.

I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks - TJ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 10-07-2008, 08:13 PM. Reason: To further propagate bourgeoisie, revanchist theories

Comment

Kameraden - Check out this way cool BW Mountain Trooper Commerative Banner/Ice Axe currently offered on Manion's.

TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

TJ:
        What did you have to say about field cap types? Since site was down I did not get to read it. Trying to figure out when what was issued.

regards
        Klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus - Regarding the question of the schiffen vs. feldmutze, I put forth that the moleskin schiffen was a despised piece of headgear as, unlike the feldmutze, it did nothing to shield the wearer from the sun or rain.

I also stated that incoming trainees were made to wear the schiffen until they satisfied their training cadre that they were worthy of wearing the beret of their service branch. At that time, they were "blessed" by the sergeant and presented with their beret.

I think the feldmutze was a much more popular field cap and survives today in the flecktarn version.

These are just my thoughts however; I'm sure our rapidly growing cadre of Bundeswehr veterans (Uwe, Markus, Hoover, Jens, and the rest) will give us the real deal.

Take care - TJ

Comment

Every unit had another way of dealing with the Schiffchen/Barett.

In my unit (Pionierbataillon 11) the recruit during basic training were not allowed to wear beret and "Litzen" (black loops on the field jacket).

Only if the recruit knows how to salute and knowing about the rank badges he was allowed to wear the litzen and beret, in my time at the end of the basic training we were tested by the company commander. If we done it right we were allowed to went out the barracks in uniform and with beret the first time. A very proud moment of every engineer.

The reason was very simple: Without loops and beret every NCO/CO knows about our status as a recruit, so we wouldn´t get blamed for errors in saluting.

In the basic training the Schiffchen was the only hat allowed. After that we got the green field cap, so we were identified as fully trained soldiers.

But there were some other ways in other barracks.

Comment

Hoover - Here's a picture of an Imperial Pioneer to make you feel young again...

The schiffen was not a very practical hat, but thank goodness you don't have to worry about the pickelhaube anymore.

Cheers - TJ

PS: Note the staghorn dagger sticking out of the top of his boot
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Depending on the material available to me the "classic" field cap, made from the same "fish-bone" type cloth as the olive green "Arbeitsanzug" was the only olive green headgear in 1955 / 1956 within the first BW equipment. For the "Dienstanzug" there was an M38 stile dark grey cap in woolen cloth with metal aplication (cocade etc). The also available peaked cap was for the "Grosser Dienstanzug".
                The "Schiffchen" seems to be invented in the next stage of uniform evolution in the late 50ies together with the "Filzlaus" uniform. Up til today I only have seen them made as early as 1959. (Wool, Moleskin and grey cloth for the Dienstanzug) Also there are no fieldcaps in moleskin cloth made later then 1965 (maybe there is one exception for the mountain troops...). The fieldcap apears again with the flecktarn camouflage in the 90ies while the "Schiffchen" disapeared at the same time. Olve green caps in moleskin are also from this periode as the airforce field units were not equipped with flecktarn at this time.
                The barret (in olive green) was only worn in the 60ies as "Panzerschutzmütze" by the tankers, then with a helmetlike insert to prevent injuries. As common headgear in different colours for the differend branches the barret apears in the 70ies ...

Regards,

Jens
                Last edited by Asbjoern; 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

This is a pic from 1992. I am on the right with the olive rain suit. My buddy already got the new camo helmet cover, I still used my British DPM cover (traded during an exercise with a 22nd Engineer Tommy).

Comment

Originally posted by Asbjoern View Post
                    The fieldcap apears again with the flecktarn camouflage in teh 90ies while the Schiffchen disapeared at the same time.

O.K. ...the 90ies are not the basic time of my interest...so the timeline of the "invention" of the olive green fieldcap may be ome years earlier... Do you know the exact date, Hoover ??

Jens

Comment

Team - With the arrival of an Airsoft Uzi (MP2A1) yesterday, I was finally able to complete my c. 1981 Fallschrimjaeger Platoon Leader. In addition to the Uzi, he is equipped with:
                      - SEM 52 Radio
                      - Binoculars (a nice salty pair showing lots of use)
                      - A falli fighting knife (hard to see)
                      - Compass
                      - Uzi pouches (4 cell, canvas type)
                      - Helmet for Airborne Troops with Amoebatarn Cover and Net
                      - Nice pair of brown boots showing honest wear

The pants are brand new, but don't look as out of place as I thought they would. I've got a lead on a salty pair, it's amazing how hard oliv moleskin pants are to come by these days.

I have an e-tool and ABC protective mask that I might add later; it's difficult to keep this guy balanced.

I hope you enjoy these pictures.

Take care - TJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

A closer view.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A look at the SEM 52.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A look from the other side showing the Uzi and AMF patch.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A look at the binos and radio.
                              Attached Files

Comment

A close-up of the Uzi pouch.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X