No announcement yet.

Forthcoming book: Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Remy, I was wondering how much battle history text is there, and how many maps? Thanks.

Comment

Cover for the upcoming photo book KAMPFGRUPPE MÜHLENKAMP.

As for the release date. If all goes well we should have copies for sale
      in September 2015.

You should be able to pre order a copy today from your favorite military book dealer.
      Please be sure to let them know in case they are not aware of its release.
      Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

From the content that I have seen I know that this book will be exceptionally good, both the superior quality of the photos that is second to none along with the detailed text in a writing style that is very readable.

John

Comment

Teaser photo and caption from the forthcoming book KAMPFGRUPPE MÜHLENKAMP.

Mühlenkamp shakes the hand of an unnamed 7. Kompanie SS-Hauptscharführer (master sergeant), SS-Ostuf. Wolfgang von Thermann, the regimental O1 or aide-de-camp (on the left) looks on, along with SS-Stubaf. Kümmel. On the right stands the Kompanie Spiess (acting first sergeant), identifiable by the twin silver braids on his lower sleeve. The regiment had been posted to Cholm since the end of April 1944 and was in the midst of a general rest and reconstitution period, focusing its efforts on incorporating replacements, training new crews, repairing its tanks and preparing for the upcoming summer’s operations. A Panzer IV from I. Abteilung can be seen in the background on the left.

Date: 15 May 1944
          Photographer: Ernst Baumann
          Attached Files

Comment

Is that the Gold Party badge above his Panzer Assault badge on the unnamed SS-Hschaf. ?

Comment

Yes that is correct.

Comment

Remy, thanks for posting. I know you check all sources available to you, so I'm not really doubting you. Just as a fwiw, the Muehlenkamp biography, volume 2, indicates that the photo of the Hscha. is from a ceremony on May 19, not 15, when Rudolf Saumenicht took command of I./SS-PR 5, in place of Kummel.

Photos from that day show that all the company commanders of the regiment were on hand, even those of II. Abteilung. Otto Schneider of 7. Kompanie certainly was. But Klpador's book indicates that 7, Kompanie was at Bielicze, 2 km north of Maciejow (well to the east of Cholm) from May 9 to June 9. Wouldn't it be more likely that this NCO would be from some part of I. Abteilung? Of course, Baumann's notes could well prove the books wrong. I was just surprised by your caption, and intrigued to learn more about the occasion!

Comment

Comments and corrections

Marc,
                  You're correct about the date - the KTB for I. Abteilung clearly states that the change of command occurred on 19 May - I simply boogered up the date, putting 15 down instead of 19., since elsewhere I referenced the KTB extensively for this book - it happens when you do a lot of writing. - "**** happens." As for 7. Kompanie, while the main body may indeed have been at Bielicze, certainly a contingent attended the ceremony. With the front lines being relatively quiet on that date, Schneider would have been able to leave the bulk of the company in its assigned area under the command of his senior lieutenant, and taken several dozen men to Cholm (Chelm) to put in the ranks in their normal spot between 6. and 8. Kompanien. If you look at the photos in their proper sequence, the photographer moves back and forth from behind the company to the front to take pictures of the same scene from a different perspective. What's going on in the photo, is a depiction of Muehlenkamp stopping while "trooping the line" to speak to various members of his command. As is customary in Western armies, while the higher commander is inspecting each rank of the formation, the commander of the unit being inspected (in this case, a company) would accompany the higher commander or commanders as they walked down the line of troops. In this case, Otto Schneider of 7. Kompanie is accompanying Muehlenkamp as his regimental commander inspects his (representational) company. If Schneider could only bring a couple dozen of his men, in order to maintain the illusion that the entire 7. Kompanie was present, other companies in the battalion would have to give up a few men just for the ceremony in order to flesh out the company that was short-handed. This is common practice and as an officer with 32 years of service in the US Army, I observed this happen frequently, as it is common practice. It is understood and accepted as a way to balance out the appearance of the organization for these kinds of ceremonies. So even if most of 7. Kompanie was in their assembly area at Bielicze (and we have no way of knowing one way or the other how many were left behind), enough of 7. Kompanie was present at Chelm on 19 May to make it look like it was!
                  Last edited by Doug Nash; 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks Doug, that's an excellent explanation and makes total sense!

As an aside, the matter of dates is frustrating. I have had similar errors in my books, even after repeated checking. I've come to reluctantly accept that an occasional thing like this will slip through the cracks. I was fortunate with Aberjona that when they did a second printing of the paperback of my book with them, I was able to make a few minor corrections.

Comment

Sample pages No. 1
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sample pages No. 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sample pages No. 3
                          Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely outstanding pictures. Very much looking forward to this volume. Thanks for the updates Remy.

All the best,
                            Peter
                            Melbourne, Australia

Comment

I also would love to get this wonderful pictorial book, which has amazing pictures.

Rene Chavez
                              www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Release Date of Remy's New Book

Ok, so I am going to be sort of a downer here...I have become exhausted at waiting for this and several other Waffen SS books. The changing dates have made the release schedule for these publications seem almost apocraphyl!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X