ZDF Miniseries: Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karl S. View Post
    I also discovered it recently on Netflix. I skipped through and watched the combat scenes first, which did remind me of the Band of Brothers combat scenes. I'll go back and watch it all the way through later. I thought the uniforms and equipment were done well.
    I hear you on that. One thing I was really looking forward to was Friedhelm with an Anti-Partisan Badge on his tunic (haven't seen any yet in a movie other from Inglourious Basterds)! Wish I'd known that before I bought the DVD. Haha!

Lev

Comment

Hey guys, what is the scarf that everyone is wearing - is it camo parachute silk? Would infantry guys really be wearing these?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello.

In not sure what pattern the scarf is but I don't think it's parachute camouflage.

I've often seen photos of german troops with a scarf or rag around their neck when marching.

Regards,
        Chris.

Comment

Hi,

Wehrmacht (and every other soldier, from various armies) soldiers would often wear a "sweat rag" around their neck whilst performing marching or combat duties.
          Sourced from the local environment, i.e. scarves bought at local shops etc; these items were used to stop the neck of your tunic from becoming soiled by sweat.
          Have seen several photographs of LAH soldiers wearing white and red polka dot scarves during the fall of France - no "espirit de corps", they all probably went to the same shop to buy scarves to save wear on their tunics.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I will hit the Salvation Army and see if I can find an old scarf that can be aged for the Friedhelm Winter uniform impression I have put together.
            Attached Files

Comment

One question, can anybody help me?

In the last episode Friedhelm is wearing this reversible splittertarn smock or is a wendejacke. It has laces no buttons, a hood, and also is sewn on the sleeves. I really like it, but never have found one like this! Opinions? Sites where I can buy one!

Comment

Based on what everyone said about this movie, I bought a copy from Amazon.
                Watched all of it in spite of screaming kids racing through thte room and jumping on me. It was very good. Gave it to a neighbor of mine and he watched it and gave it a thumb's up also!
                Thanx for the recommendation!
                Tim

Comment

Many of my kid's friends have commented on it - a German version of Band of Brothers (their favorite), except being a German version of what the war was "really like", they had to throw in all that doggie sex.

Comment

I just watched this in it's entirety and have a question. At the end of this the makers seem to suggest these people actually lived (Greta for example), are any of the characters real people? I did a search and could not find an example where a singer was ever arrested. IMO, and I am careful what I say on here, is that this series still shows the German willingness to beat themselves up and to portray themselves as Godless subhumans who started it all so they need to be punished by the allies in any way the allies saw fit. An example that struck me as typical is the Jewish Dr who Chary turned in, only to have her save Charly from being raped as a red army officer full of forgiveness, with the phrase "We are liberators, not rapists,"and then allows her to serve the red army as a token of forgiveness. Good fiction, but, sadly for countless German/East European women and girls they didn't get Soviet sympathy. I always believe in fairness and if we accuse the Germans of committing crimes, the crimes of their enemies shouldn't be white washed. Just my 2cents.

Comment

I would like to know as well, and if this is a true story, does anyone know what unit the Winter brothers were in?

The Wikipedia entry is very informative, but only goes so far as to say that viewers are led to believe it is based on true events. I would think that if it were true or loosely true, there would be something on the Internet about the autobiography it is based on.

Comment

My "Friedhelm" Impression is 90% Complete
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wasn't aware this series existed until I saw a few bits on youtube while searching something else. The parts I saw were fairly decent, and a welcome addition to the Stalingrad, das boot like movies we've all come to like.

Comment

Double Post.

Comment

That's pretty badass Don... Spot on...except need to dirty it a lot and put the scarf around neck..hehehe
                              Mike

Comment

Hello Mike - Yes, I need to find a scarf, and the wound badge is an original as I am working on aging a repro badge. Also need to swap out the breast eagle with an M36 version.

Mucho denario invested so far in this crazy project.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X