ZDF Miniseries: Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Josh,

I would give up, apart from watching trailers on "You Tube"!
    Wait for (hopefully) the USA and UK release of this excellent mini-series.
    The producers of this will not want their time and money wasted on "giving it away" on the internet.
    Hopefully, releases in English will be forthcoming?
    I was extremely lucky in watching the series on "You Tube" with English subtitles, and again without; before both versions were deleted.
    Shows that an English language version does exist!
    Let us hope for the best - a German language version; with English sub-titles!
    But who are we? A small forum wanting this title to be released to the general public!
    Let us wait and see.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Originally posted by feldpost 58 View Post
      Hi Josh,

I would give up, apart from watching trailers on "You Tube"!
      Wait for (hopefully) the USA and UK release of this excellent mini-series.
      The producers of this will not want their time and money wasted on "giving it away" on the internet.
      Hopefully, releases in English will be forthcoming?
      I was extremely lucky in watching the series on "You Tube" with English subtitles, and again without; before both versions were deleted.
      Shows that an English language version does exist!
      Let us hope for the best - a German language version; with English sub-titles!
      But who are we? A small forum wanting this title to be released to the general public!
      Let us wait and see.

Best wishes,

John.
      Good point and good advice John.

Comment

Above average performance IMO. Can't and should not be compared with productions like Band of brothers; the synopsis and fact that it is a German production inclines to tell a whole different story. Hence the title.

Overall rather dark and grim with some beautiful scenes as well. A very good capture of images of the time (much better than f.e. 'Zwartboek') and correct outfitted uniform wise. The use of a MG42 or M42 helmets in a 1941 setting is easily forgiven.

Highly recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
          Above average performance IMO. Can't and should not be compared with productions like Band of brothers; the synopsis and fact that it is a German production inclines to tell a whole different story. Hence the title.

Overall rather dark and grim with some beautiful scenes as well. A very good capture of images of the time (much better than f.e. 'Zwartboek') and correct outfitted uniform wise. The use of a MG42 or M42 helmets in a 1941 setting is easily forgiven.

Highly recommended!

Agreed. I watched it a few more times and enjoy it more with each viewing. Found another error though - in the Kursk street fighting scene, there is a Russian soldier in a 3rd story window shooting a Panzerfaust at the Germans. Did they even make Panzerfäuste in 43?

Comment

I have now seen all the three episodes and I really enjoyed it! Great battle scenes, good acting and I like that they speak german.

Comment

Yuri: yes.
              Have a look at Wikipedia, development started in 1942. General use since August 1943, Panzerfaust 30.

Comment

Very enjoyable series. Highly recommend it

Comment

Poor ending.

Comment

A little bit of Hollywood seeped into it at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                      Yuri: yes.
                      Have a look at Wikipedia, development started in 1942. General use since August 1943, Panzerfaust 30.
                      It's plausible then that a Russian could have captured one - OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri D. View Post
                        A little bit of Hollywood seeped into it at the end.
                        Exactly, quite "weak" and as much as I liked part 1 and 2, in part 3 the producer and his director had to give in to be able to sell their product to Hollywood...

At the end of part 3 my Mexican wife asked me, all disturbed:

"Why do you Germans always sell yourself out in the movies...?!?"

Needless to say that all my veteran friends really hated the series.

Comment

But, to give credit where it's due, it takes balls to be as self critical as Germany has been about the war. You never see Russian films about the Holodomor, or the purges or the multiple mass expulsions of entire nations to Siberia, or the mass rapes in 1945-46. You can say this is because Germany lost and the Soviets won, but look at the two countries now: Germany is doing very well economically with a healthy middle class and is the economic power house of Europe. As for Russia, many feel they are no different than the Soviets were before: dictator, huge economic divide between the wealthy and poor, repression, etc.,. Admission to past transgressions may be an indicator of how socially and morally advanced a society is, and it seems that Germany far exceeds Russia on that score.

Comment

Agreed. That's why my emphasis was on "the movies".

ml

Originally posted by Yuri D. View Post
                            But, to give credit where it's due, it takes balls to be as self critical as Germany has been about the war. You never see Russian films about the Holodomor, or the purges or the multiple mass expulsions of entire nations to Siberia, or the mass rapes in 1945-46. You can say this is because Germany lost and the Soviets won, but look at the two countries now: Germany is doing very well economically with a healthy middle class and is the economic power house of Europe. As for Russia, many feel they are no different than the Soviets were before: dictator, huge economic divide between the wealthy and poor, repression, etc.,. Admission to past transgressions may be an indicator of how socially and morally advanced a society is, and it seems that Germany far exceeds Russia on that score.

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                              Exactly, quite "weak" and as much as I liked part 1 and 2, in part 3 the producer and his director had to give in to be able to sell their product to Hollywood...

At the end of part 3 my Mexican wife asked me, all disturbed:

"Why do you Germans always sell yourself out in the movies...?!?"

Needless to say that all my veteran friends really hated the series.
                              I'm trying hard to see this with English subtitles, but movie2k.com is suspended.
                              Anyone know how I can watch this on the internet? My computer skills are not proficient.
                              Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Well, yes -
                                German nationals do "sell themselves down" when it comes to TV shows and movies produced in Germany.
                                If they would stand proud, they would be described as "neo-nazis" in the press of the rest of the world; so it is easier for German movie makers to leave a "get-out" at the ending.
                                I just wish that "Unser Mutters, Unser Vaters" was available in DVD in the UK!
                                That is what this thread is all about - and the Nazis who controlled Germany were mostly destroyed; thank God.
                                The world would have been a terrible place with Nazi domination!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X