Newest tallies to soon be added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
    So it's just the long "s" alone that would cause any pause on Justin's tally. Are there some portraits somewhere of the long "s" in wear to "close the circle" on this?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    You are correct, this is the issue and now I have to find the images of the other tally if I can find it.

John

Comment

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the confusion on the terminology of the different forms of "s". John has been using it correctly as described here:

"The long, medial or descending s (ſ) is a form of the minuscule letter s formerly used where s occurred in the middle or at the beginning of a word, for example "ſinfulneſs" ("sinfulness"). The modern letterform was called the terminal, round, or short s."

long s = ſ-shaped
      short s = s-shaped

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

On this posting from Frank you can see two Minensuchflottille tallies with two different forms of "s" in "such". The "14. Minensuchflottille 14." tally with the short s should be subject to the same discussion as Justin's "Unterseebootsflottille Emsmann" with the short s.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice example. Really interesting and I find quite fascinating is that there were so many variants and constructions and base materials. Because it is part of the uniform, you would think that it would only conform to one example or design pattern. It really didn't matter for KM breast eagles, or other insignia such as cuff titles or other insignia. Would wonder if certain Captains wanted or preferred a certain look to their crew and their muetzenband preference before the Order from OKW came through and took out the named division/ship tallies?

Thanks for posting this Norm.

Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Hi Guys,
            I can confirm that there is the 2 forms of the S in the Emmsman tally.
            I too saw this variant in a collection a little while back and questioned
            It's authenticity. To my amazement and surprisement I was informed both
            Exist. So all is kosher here with these beauties!
            Nice additions Frank and JustinC, still hunting for the elusive Wegener tally so any heads up
            Would be appreciated?? On the flip side have a few things to share that I'm sure all will like shortly!

Cheers,
            JustinC

Comment

Kreuzer Lützow tally added

Greetings Gentlemen. I have the luck to add a goldwire (metalfaden) version of the Kreuzer Lützow.
              I had just heard that this ship did have tallies produced but apparently never issued. Dani (MarineHJ) posted an example of one which is very similar to the one I am acquiring.
              I feel very fortunate to add a tally like this in my collection.

I will post pictures as soon as it arrives. I am very excited to have this one "pulling into my collection here in Anchorage, AK.

Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

Another "Unterseebootsflottille Emsmann" tally which I have aquired recently together with 13 other ones (6 of them U-Boot tallies). It has metal threads.

Regards
                Attached Files

Comment

close-up front
                  Attached Files

Comment

close-up back
                    Attached Files

Comment

Kreuzer Lutzow

Front and back This is a full length tally

Regards,
                      JustinG
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow sweet dude!
                        Nice work

JustinC

Comment

Thanks, pretty stoked.
                          Regards,
                          JustinG

Comment

Nice tallies guys

Yes, wow - very rare one there. Congrats Justin!

Comment

That's incredible, another Lützow surfaced.

Congratulations Justin.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Yes, not much you can say. Great addition Justin. John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X