No announcement yet.

Newest tallies to soon be added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone, I feel fortunate to add this one.

Here are some shots. It arrived yesterday.

Best Regards,
    JustinG
    Attached Files

Comment

Another one I got in a swap. The full spelled out version of the Unterseebootsbegleitschiff Erwin Waßner.
      So, this ship had two mützenband designs assigned to her; and I have both.

Regards,
      JustinG
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work dude!!

You'll have the complete collection soon!

Congrats!!

Best

JustinC

Comment

Just the Unterseebootstender Mosel left. That will be the complete unterseeboote known KM period Mützenbander.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like you were having fun with the "smiles"

Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Nice acquisition Justin.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hello Justin,

very nice and rare tally, i have never seen before this full spelled version.
              I think, the full spelled version of Saar and Erwin Waßner are not official supplied tallies.
              Why ? The tally for Saar was introduced with order from 22.1.1936 in Marineverordnungsblatt 1936, Heft 4, page 38 - see picture attached - with the abreviation U.=
              Otherwise the full spelled Erwin Waßner has a mistake in it - the correct and official spelling is Waßner - not Wassner !
              Waßner came in service in march 1939, so all official supplied tallies should be woven with letters from artificial silk and, of cause, not longer than 120cm.
              But again: nice and rare, also the Lützow !

Best regards
              Markus
              Attached Files

Comment

To :CSForrester aka Markus B.

Greetings,

I am missing something. The versions I have as seen earlier in the post show both of mine having the proper lettering using the scharfes S.

The Same lettering you would find on the Lebrecht Maass. Which would also have the ß (Unfortunate to use a Microsoft HP system which doesn't allow me to access the appropriate letter unlike a Macbook.)

Thank you for posting this interesting order for the Saar.

Could you please clarify Markus?

My version of the Havel and Warnow also has "U="although still listed as tenders address in the Muetzenband.

Makes me wonder if there might be a full spelled version of the Havel or Warnow as well?

Regards,
                JustinG
                Attached Files

Comment

My mistake, everything is ok with ß in Waßner, your both versions show the correct spelling with "sz".
                  I have seen Havel and Warnow in the full spelled version (and should also have pictures, will look for) and this version should be the official one for "tender" classified ships. There are several orders in 1936 and 1937 about the correct designation of Unterseebootstender on the tallies.
                  It is not easy to find all orders in the Marineverordnungsblatt, only 1937 has nearly 600 pages and less than 1% concerning tallies, but i will look for more. By the way, we still need some pics of these tallies in wear for our book.

Best wishes
                  Markus
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the clarification and for posting the regulation regarding the Tender/Begleitschiff classification.

There has been quite an interesting number of photos that show the various tallies in wear on ebay.de.

Just recently, a nice 1.Unterseebootsflottille.1 and 2.Schnellbootsflottille.2 as well as many others.

I wish I could help with these, but unfortunately, I was not the winner of the auctions. Hopefully a member here won the photos and would help you in your endeavors.

I am most curious about the Schnellbootstender/begleitschiff Tsingtau.
                    I am not sure it's designation and I have never seen a photo or period muetzenband for this unit.

If you want, I can provide you with some scans of some particular tallies for your book, just let me know.

Best regards from Alaska,
                    JustinG

Comment

Hello Justin,

if some of your tallies are missing in our archive, i will let you know and beg for a scan.
                      Tsingtau came in service in 1934 and it was not announced in the Marineverordnungsblatt. I have seen only one period tally until today:

S=Bootsbegleitschiff Tsingtau

s in schiff and Tsingtau long and sharp, metal letters.
                      Why are these so rare ? I dont know.

Regards
                      Markus

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
                        Hello Justin,

if some of your tallies are missing in our archive, i will let you know and beg for a scan.
                        Tsingtau came in service in 1934 and it was not announced in the Marineverordnungsblatt. I have seen only one period tally until today:

S=Bootsbegleitschiff Tsingtau

s in schiff and Tsingtau long and sharp, metal letters.
                        Why are these so rare ? I dont know.

Regards
                        Markus
                        Well, at least now I know the proper designation to put for my dream/request list for tallies.
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Regards,
                        JustinG

Comment

I have checked some hundred more pages of MVBl and OTB and may be i have found the reason, why Tsingtau is so rare.
                          In Ostseestationstagebefehl Nr. 56, 13.3.1936 is announced the new designation "Schnellbootsbegleitschiff" instead of "Flottentender" and the crew had to wear in future , as also before, the tally 1.Schnellbootsflottille.1.
                          I am shure, this changed in the late 1939´s, but i have not found the new order for "S=Bootsbegleitschiff". I think the date was very near to the introduction of S=Bootsbegleitschif Erwin Wassner, i´ll keep on searching.

Regards
                          Markus
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
                            I have checked some hundred more pages of MVBl and OTB and may be i have found the reason, why Tsingtau is so rare.
                            In Ostseestationstagebefehl Nr. 56, 13.3.1936 is announced the new designation "Schnellbootsbegleitschiff" instead of "Flottentender" and the crew had to wear in future , as also before, the tally 1.Schnellbootsflottille.1.
                            I am shure, this changed in the late 1939´s, but i have not found the new order for "S=Bootsbegleitschiff". I think the date was very near to the introduction of S=Bootsbegleitschif Erwin Wassner, i´ll keep on searching.

Regards
                            Markus
                            Thank you for your ever diligent work on this.
                            I really am looking forward to the release of your future book.
                            Best Regards from Alaska,
                            JustinG

Comment

Nice thread and as usual, the input from Markus is invaluable.

Here are both of Justin's tallies together. John
                              Attached Files

Comment

Justin,

You have some incredibly rare tallies that I am sure that Markus and Bernd might want to use in their book.

I know you have said in the past you were going to buy a camera for some decent shots, but a camera is simply not good enough for tallies. Your collection deserves a proper system of imaging, right now lacking. It will cost you a fraction of the cost of a single tally to buy the components and get used to how to scan these long named tallies, front and back.

I recommend--at least it is how I do it--to buy a single function scanner. I used a canoscan 4400F which is now no longer available, but similar ones are out there. It is just a flatbed scanner.

Then you need a decent photo program. Just buy what I use on ebay for almost nothing--I use a Microsoft Digital Pro 7, very old, but works great. Cheap on ebay or buy a new version, up to you.

Since the tallies cannot possibly fit into the scanner for an entire length scan, you need to do it in two parts. Then you overlay one part exactly over the other in the middle, crop the combined tally, and there you have it--a full length (at least the name) tally which is really two parts appearing as one.

This is an example of what I am talking about once done. Practice a bit with it and you will see it is very easy. Actually, Bernd told me to do it this way, maybe it was Dani, but I think Bernd years ago.

You cannot detect the "seam" where I fitted the two halfs together as you can see.

Hope this helps.

John
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X