Ss 8 year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antonio,

Im at a loss to understand if you have collected for 20 year,s how you have not encountered the original fake posted.

My suggestion is to go through all the old threads on ss 8 years.

Comment

Still nobody is able to say in detail why the medal which opened this thread is judged to be a fake...

And still I do not believe that is is casted.

Comment

I am glad I recived many years ago the 4 and 8 SS year medal from my neigbour in Bad Windsheim who was in the Das Reich. Many of the one in questions are different in certain details. For sure I am tired to talk online about differences about this kind of medals, TK collar tabs as well numbered or lettered collar tabs. I am just glad to study those things since decades and collect since decadesas other well known people as well. Young collectors must be very nervous about those things as well those days. Not much different about painted porcellan or art pictures incl. Roman or Bronce time pieces as well that I study as well. Happy collecting and Merry Christmas, Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
          Still nobody is able to say in detail why the medal which opened this thread is judged to be a fake...

And still I do not believe that is is casted.
          I don't believe that it is cast either, but being die-struck does not automatically equate to being original. There are cast versions of the medal in question and there are 'casts of casts' of it too, but these are relatively easily spotted. As well as the "quality" version of the original post in this thread, die-struck versions of it can be found with a slightly more coarse, stippled texture to the field and I have seen it with suspension loops of all shapes and sizes...I have even seen it with an eyelet which was almost identical to those found on originals of the "Type II" SS-DA.

Comment

Just for talk guys: when I was writing the book about the Memel medals the "majority" thought that some Memels were fakes, so all the collector community in old threads wrote: "fake!".
            After my researches I found these medals were 101% originals, an 2 or 3 times I bought these for few tens of euro because they were considered fakes. So not everything we consider fake is for sure fake, and even if you can find this medal for few money this is not a proof it's fake.

I've looked for some repros of SS medals, but I found around the world only other patterns and I bought them for comparison. I know what produced Souval, I know what is sell from US and where, I know the same for Italy and other contries, and I ask if someone knows where these are produced I'll be happy to buy them for study; because until today I never found something about the medal that started this thread.

BTW, make a die struck medal is not so cheap as a cast production.
            Last edited by Antonio Scapini; 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
            - THE SS TK RING
            - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
            - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

You have to go by the odds. In a collecting field where fakes outnumber genuine articles by many orders of magnitude, all items should be considered fake until they are proven genuine. Otherwise, you are gambling and the odds are massively stacked against you. You will lose eventually -- guaranteed.

Comment

Curt I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes we make mistakes, but in a sea of fakes it's better "sacrify" 1 questionable piece than give the "free way" to tons of fakes.
                I was only trying to understand more about this medal with all the collectors.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

ss

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
                  Curt I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes we make mistakes, but in a sea of fakes it's better "sacrify" 1 questionable piece than give the "free way" to tons of fakes.
                  I was only trying to understand more about this medal with all the collectors.
                  Antonio,

I have just finished reviewing, SS 8yr medals on the forum German Combat Awards. I see very clear differences between accepted SS 8 yr medals and this one. Perhaps this is a real TR medal, however, it has clear differences. It would have to be a different MFGer. Perhaps there are people out there who will purchase this medal, but I will not.

Mike

Comment

The medal posted at the beginning of this thread is also available from Polish reproduction award supplier "e-barracks"...again as an 'honest' replica, for a mere $25.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Methinks someone needs to stick to making plates

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                        Methinks someone needs to stick to making plates
                        Probably in the Shed and "Smithy" working on a batch right now
                        Seiler

Comment

Originally posted by panzer1432 View Post
                          ...Perhaps there are people out there who will purchase this medal, but I will not.

Mike
                          Mo too Mike, I have 4 of them and all well known originals. I don't like have in collection piece not 101% good.

Thanks JC for another update! I'll buy one!

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
                            Curt, we are trying to understand why and who declare this medal fake.
                            I know the SS field, and I collect also something in this field, but you are wrong about the Floch and other fakes.

I show you a medal, can it be a good one? I'd like to hear what you and other members think about.
                            The medal in post #48 looks exactly like the one in Detlev's last medals book. I still don't like it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

JC, this medal is a post war production from Souval that some times ago fooled a lot of collectors.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD View Post
                                The medal in post #48 looks exactly like the one in Detlev's last medals book. I still don't like it.
                                It's called 'Authentication through Publication' ... happening ALL the time now with authors who are either niaive enough or crooked enough to allow it to happen.

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X