No announcement yet.

Ss 8 year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you do here for now is you name the characteristics of a Deschler made piece.

And define these characteristics of Deschler pieces to be the ONLY guarantee to be 100% authentic ones.

Anything else is defined as being a fake.

But what about the characteristics of a P&L or Schickle made piece?

Comment

Interesting Chris.
      I have 2 question for you:
      1) show us why this medal is cast (and show us the cast signs), because IMO is a die struck medal.
      2) Until today we know no one maker (except those shown on period catalogs), can you have some solid proofs to call a medal "Deschler"?

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
      - THE SS TK RING
      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

...because "cast junk" was not the typical quality of production of any medals that were made by any known manufacture during the period that the original 8-year SS service medals were made. All of the originals have a TR German look to them. This one does not. Hope this helps,

Chris

Comment

I'll see what I can do, but first, I must renew my membership here.
          I'll be back, ASAP.

Chris

Comment

This SS medal is 100% die struck IMO from what I see.

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
            ...because "cast junk" was not the typical quality of production of any medals that were made by any known manufacture during the period that the original 8-year SS service medals were made. All of the originals have a TR German look to them. This one does not. Hope this helps,

Chris
            Are you so sure Chris? I can post a lot of TR medals and badges with a quality not so "typical" and with a lot of die flaws.
            As these for example...
            Attached Files

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

If you could post some high quality photos of your medal, it would be much easier to explain. In the meantime, here are some other "flat 8" fakes.

Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

The medal which started this thread offers a much better finish on the surface, especially the side depicting the "8" is not comparable to the one you post now.

Apart from that: what about the weight?

Comment

...awaiting better photos of the one that started this thread. Only then, we can see how it compares.

Here are some more. As you can see, these come with all sorts of finishes.

Chris
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'd like to see me too better pictures of the medal that started this thread. IMO on it there are no casting signs, and I would like them if them are so easy to recognize.
                    I think it is the same of this I post below. Surface is fine dotted, not with the big dots of the fakes.
                    Thanks Chris and all the others for improving this thread, we are doing a good work.
                    Attached Files

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you! That was the type of photo that I was hoping to see here. It is basically the same medal, (same breed), as the medal in question, but with a round ring instead of a teardrop ring. Anyway, here is a comparison photo with my original medal to show the casting signs on the posted fake medal and also to see what a die struck original medal looks like, (original on the right). Major difference in the sharpness and the original is much tighter because it was stamped. The cast piece looks loose and sloppy. Surely, you can see the difference easily. Even the die cast GAB posted above is very sharp, as are the APBs that were die cast. Nothing like this repro medal's appearance.

Also, to answer the question that was asked earlier, I do not know that my medal was made by Deschler. That is what most of us call them, but regardless of the maker, they are known original medals. The quality speaks for itself and there have been many vet bring back examples of these medals. The other maker of known originals, (possibly P&L), are also sharp like the so called Deschlers. I've never seen an original TR item that has the cast appearance of the repro medal shown here.

Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

Chris,

Antonio posted his example as an example of an original medal - not as an example of a fake.

Also: it is too bad that you made such a great job and posted such a clear shot of your medal on the right - but the compared piece on the left is of such poor quality.

So how can we really compare them in detail?

It is a great discussion but we simply need better pictures.

Comment

To go on in this discussion we MUST see some close ups of the medal of Kamil that started this thread.
                          I have 4 SS long service medals, but no one like the one posted here.
                          We recognize until today 2 different original known patterns: type I and type II, and no one makers.
                          You can see it here:
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=622409

I've also done a thread in wich I show a lot of fakes:
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=638147

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I also think that we do need better pictures to go any further here. Thanks for the great pictures!

Chris

Comment

There are 2 types of SS 4 & 8 year medals that are accepted as original. The medal in question has many differences from these 2 types. In the field of 3rd Reich collecting, especially SS, one cannot just decide that if an item is well made, it must be real. There are many examples (Floch, Rounders, etc.) where the reproductions are made of equal and sometimes even better quality than the originals. The medal in question has been declared a fake for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                                Chris,

Antonio posted his example as an example of an original medal - not as an example of a fake.

Also: it is too bad that you made such a great job and posted such a clear shot of your medal on the right - but the compared piece on the left is of such poor quality.

So how can we really compare them in detail?

It is a great discussion but we simply need better pictures.
                                The medal shown in #39 by Antonio is from his "SS Fakes" thread.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X