Clear All

what is that?

a type of book cask on the table?
    Attached Files

Comment

and this groom took his from church
      Attached Files

Comment

did altars such as this one hold casks? notice the wooden bowls of salt and bread to the left and right of the altar being held by ss men.
        Attached Files

Comment

The last one is a VERY interesting one!!

Comment

We enlarged that photo in an earlier thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...casket&page=11 and myself, I just don't see anything on that altar that could be anything other than the book itself in a slip case.

http://www.life.com/gallery/23132/im...reich#index/15 This site has a photo of Traudl Junge's (one of Hitler's secretaries) wedding in 1943. The "Hochzeitausgabe" Mein Kampf can be seen standing upright on the table at the lower right, but no casket that I can see. (I didn't look it up but she must have been married in München; looks like it could be the München city crest on the Mein Kampf cover.)

Not that I'm trying to nay-say the caskets; but I think we have yet to find a photo that shows one in use.

Best,
            Greg
            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Greg,
              in my estimation
              you are correct,
              this last photo, along with all others shown here do not show the "MK box."
              They show the possibilities of books , etc, at a marriage... but there is no "MKbox" to be seen.
              By the way, I dont think I ever thanked you for alerting me to this photo, which I now have in my collection. So much thanks indeed.
              No matter how blown up the photo is made, and it is a bit less than crystal clear shot...one can not see a "MK box"....but there is a tray like set up in front of them, presumably for somthing.

Comment

wish we could see in front of them to see what is on the altar. No, it is obvious that none of the photos show the box but I was just trying to enjoy the speculation and get some discussion going. Maybe some other people would like to post some photos that they have found that are similar?

de hase-fee had some interesting ideas on the subject, so not sure where he is, but he was saying how these came out of northern Germany where the British zone of occupation was.

I'd like to hear someone give more than only conlcusions on the subject.

Comment

i like post 62.. nice mk (no box)

i blieve this was the picture Greg was referring to:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Was a copy of Mein Kampf given at every NS wedding? SA wedding picture with bread plate and MK.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Steve T; 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                      A mate of mine who is also a dealer had one of these recently on his stall for well over 12 months before he sold it.
                      while at a show down in the south of England an old German guy picked it up and ask what on earth it was, to which my mate give him the answer. His reply was he had never heard something so ridiculous in all his life. The guy turned out to have been an ss officer and assured him these things did not exist.
                      At least my mate got to chat to him for over an hour about his war time experiences.
                      nice story so you pay your money and make your choice.

Regards
                      Steve C

Comment

When the double wedding ceremony of the SS officer couples Franzius (SS-architect) and Des Coudres (librarian of the castle) on the 8th of May 1937 in Wewelsburg took place - and attended by Himmler - they did not receive such caskets either.

Instead of that they received an Allach HJ drummer and a BDM girl with flag in white.

Some may think these caskets might have been introduced at a later date - I don´t think so.

Comment

What most couples received was a piece like this:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve C View Post
                            Hi Guys,
                            A mate of mine who is also a dealer had one of these recently on his stall for well over 12 months before he sold it.
                            while at a show down in the south of England an old German guy picked it up and ask what on earth it was, to which my mate give him the answer. His reply was he had never heard something so ridiculous in all his life. The guy turned out to have been an ss officer and assured him these things did not exist.
                            At least my mate got to chat to him for over an hour about his war time experiences.
                            nice story so you pay your money and make your choice.

Regards
                            Steve C
                            never seeing one and concluding that they never existed are two entirely different things and based on only one man's experience. Just saying.

Comment

cask variations

Here are a couple other variations of the center panel. And one is a horizontal design. They may have been keepsake boxes if not casks. Another member has one that was de-nazified by removing the swas. After examining these so called cask boxes in person, I am quite confident that they were produced during the time period. Collectors are far too willing to declare lesser items to be genuine, as Maestro so aptly observed earlier.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                                When the double wedding ceremony of the SS officer couples Franzius (SS-architect) and Des Coudres (librarian of the castle) on the 8th of May 1937 in Wewelsburg took place - and attended by Himmler - they did not receive such caskets either.

Instead of that they received an Allach HJ drummer and a BDM girl with flag in white.

Some may think these caskets might have been introduced at a later date - I don´t think so.
                                Very interesting Thorsten, I didn't know that Himmler gifted these to the happy couples.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X