Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another offered in Latvia last year:

Comment

When I can even see the mitred corners, of the cover, I am glad I don't own one. Any craftsman, worth his sawdust, can make a perfect mitred corner that is nearly invisible.

They would be nice for a couple hundred dollars, to keep your watch, wallet and jewelry, but for anything more NO. I believe they originated from a small island off the coat of Great Britian: Fantasy Island.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob, what are the basis of your conclusions or is it just a gut feeling? Do you think that they were used at all during ww2 and then maybe copied later on to some extent or just outright fantasy pieces?

Comment

compared to other SS reproductions & high quality museum copies of original SS that are mass produced (e.g. EK1s, SS pins, TKs, etc).. these MK caskets are by far fewer in number than believed to exist .. unlike most SS items, one of these caskets in hand is worth 2 in the bush

Comment

...Merdock had one for sale a while back.. not sure if he ever sold his

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
              When I can even see the mitred corners, of the cover, I am glad I don't own one. Any craftsman, worth his sawdust, can make a perfect mitred corner that is nearly invisible.

They would be nice for a couple hundred dollars, to keep your watch, wallet and jewelry, but for anything more NO. I believe they originated from a small island off the coat of Great Britian: Fantasy Island.

Bob Hritz
              Here's a little box from '43, no relationship to the MK box apart from being wood, and a box, but it is fairly well made. Lid made in four pieces, perfectly mitred corners.

I have no idea on whether the MK boxes are genuine or not but always thought for something that has such a special significance the carving is rather mediocre.

Second picture - I brushed off the dust for this one, bit dusty on the first shot.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Steve T; 09-10-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I have been a woodworker most of my adult life and have cut hundreds of mitres during this time. Any good woodworker can and does cut perfect examples. However; Time,and more importantely environmental conditions can raise hell with items made from wood. I discovered that when we moved from the Mid West to very dry Arizona several years ago. Items of furniture I'd built in the Mid West suddenly began to warp.
                What I'm trying to point out here is you can't always judge initial workmanship many years later as in all probability the conditions the item existed in for those years have been variable or unknown. Also keep in mind that wood shrinks across the grain over time.
                Take a look sideways at some of your political dagger grips as they sometimes are visibly twisted. I coined the term "Grip Torque" to describe this condition years ago. Due to the low humidity in the South West we collectors here have to be extra vigilent in keeping wooden items well protected with wax.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
                  I have been a woodworker most of my adult life and have cut hundreds of mitres during this time. Any good woodworker can and does cut perfect examples. However; Time,and more importantely environmental conditions can raise hell with items made from wood. I discovered that were we moved from the Mid West to very dry Arizona several years ago. Items of furniture I'd built suddenly began to warp.
                  What I'm trying to point out here is you can always judge initial workmanship many years later as in all probability the conditions the item existed in for those years is unknown.
                  Take a look sideways at some of your political dagger grips as they sometimes are visibly twisted. I coined the term "Grip Torque" to describe this condition years ago. Due to the low humidity in the South West we collectors here have to be extra vigilent in keeping wooden items well protected with wax.
                  Jim
                  That's certainly true as well, I have plenty of bread plates for example, many are warped and out of true.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Steve T; 09-10-2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Steve, what do you like to use yourself to keep the wooden plates looking nice & healthy without damaging it..

i've read here on WAF, not to use Renaissance wax, as its a sealant & doesn't allow the wood to breath..

Comment

ss wedding photo

ss man leaving the altar carrying MK in what looks like a domed case of some kind? Anyone care to speculate if that is a book or a case for a book? The beveled edges remind me of the top of the cask.
                      Attached Files

Comment

another shot
                        please feel free to comment...
                        Attached Files

Comment

The lower side is oval as spines of books are while the upper side is straight.

For me it´s a book, not any type of casket.

Due to the fact that the bride is wearing a cross I assume it was a marriage of catholic ordinance - maybe you know more about the background.

Anyway: thank you for this interesting contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post
                            Steve, what do you like to use yourself to keep the wooden plates looking nice & healthy without damaging it..

i've read here on WAF, not to use Renaissance wax, as its a sealant & doesn't allow the wood to breath..
                            For a plate in good shape that doesn't need to be re-finished I probably clean it if dirty or has old dirty wax on it. I'd use a solution of 1 part linseed oil and 4 parts white spirit to do this. Its a traditional wood 'reviver' that will clean off old wax and nourish the wood a little too. It cleans but does not aggressively clean to a point where it destroys any patina. The white spirit will eventually evaporate off and the linseed oil feeds the wood. Even if the wood has a some shellac finish it will do not harm.

After the clean I'd leave it a week then just treat it like any fine furniture and give it a wax coat with a fine furniture wax. I use Fiddes Supreme wax, its soft and covers intricate carved parts easily. I apply this with a soft bristle brush and polish it with a clean brush. Using the brush as opposed to a cloth allows you to get inbetween the carved parts,like between carved letters and polish without leaving wax in the cracks/crevices etc.

Regarding Renaissance wax. Any wax will create a barrier layer but renaissance is not my choice for carved pieces as it dries quite hard and takes a lot more effort to polish it off compared to a fine furniture wax, more difficult for carved areas. You don't want wax left or to be rubbing too hard on the piece anyway. A fine quality natural beeswax polish will nourish the wood as well as protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                              For a plate in good shape that doesn't need to be re-finished I probably clean it if dirty or has old dirty wax on it. I'd use a solution of 1 part linseed oil and 4 parts white spirit to do this. Its a traditional wood 'reviver' that will clean off old wax and nourish the wood a little too. It cleans but does not aggressively clean to a point where it destroys any patina. The white spirit will eventually evaporate off and the linseed oil feeds the wood. Even if the wood has a some shellac finish it will do not harm.

After the clean I'd leave it a week then just treat it like any fine furniture and give it a wax coat with a fine furniture wax. I use Fiddes Supreme wax, its soft and covers intricate carved parts easily. I apply this with a soft bristle brush and polish it with a clean brush. Using the brush as opposed to a cloth allows you to get inbetween the carved parts,like between carved letters and polish without leaving wax in the cracks/crevices etc.

Regarding Renaissance wax. Any wax will create a barrier layer but renaissance is not my choice for carved pieces as it dries quite hard and takes a lot more effort to polish it off compared to a fine furniture wax, more difficult for carved areas. You don't want wax left or to be rubbing too hard on the piece anyway. A fine quality natural beeswax polish will nourish the wood as well as protect it.
                              Bravo Steve.
                              thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
                                another shot
                                please feel free to comment...
                                looks like a MK box to me

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X