Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffen SS Untersturmfuhrer's (1st. lt.) panzer jacket (wrapper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see any problems with this wrap from the photos, but like everthing I would want to carefully examine it in person.

A couple of things seem to always get overlooked in these discussions:

1. Who is to say that a given "faker" is not as or more expert in what is right than any and all of us?

2. Some questionable characteristic (to someone) can be found on most any even 100% original item with this much complexity. A wound badge or a messkit may be easy for an expert to call for sure one way or the other, but a officer's set up tunic with always non-factory insignia can be quite another matter.

As far as evaluating a wrap like this I think that that the same approach that we have for 30-40 years has to be used. Is the base wrap an original? If yes and if it is contract/issue what traces of the factory insigina(sleeve eagle only or tabs as well?) can be seen? Is the insignia period? Is the wear on the insigna consistant with the tunic? Is the insgina thread old, correct and show any oxidation..esp. on the top sides....you will neeed a loop or better still a lighted scope.

There is no need of cloak and dagger or pretending that only a chosen few have the GIFT....this is bread butter stuff. It helps if you have looked at hundreds of tunics in this way, but there is no magic and there are no gurus.

Comment

. . .
      Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: Ridiculous commentary not related to the primary subject matter . . .

Comment

Fear of what .......I learned that the only thing people fear in this hobby is to be on the outs with the "in crowd" or to be wrong once in awhile and admit it..the later being the most painful thing a collector or dealer can do.

But when you sit and see the fat balding alcoholics and looney personalities we rever as experts in person you think twice about taking thier crap on a forum.

One thing I do know is someone can be fooled by something for 30 years simply because they trusted someone else it doesnt diminish thier knowledge...I was fooled many times by guys who presented themselves as friendly helpful dealers...one of them regularly restores and sells uniforms as untouched and will deny it to the bone and people will defend him right here...and nothing changes...ever.

I dont name names anymore and hope people just develope better antennae.

As for this wrap better lighting is needed..its an interesting piece.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
          I did get a little carried away, didn't I?

Brad

Do you know anyone that swings a bat without first being shown how to hold one first? And if so, how well do they hit that ball?
          The way I learned is, pick it up, hold it in your hands, get the feel and let swing, Simple. Too many people here (in a big hurry to build collections) just want to know Real - Fake and expect the reasons to be given to them, not really caring to take the time to really learn the hobby. That's not the way a good collector is "made" in my view.

And no problem for getting carried away, happens to me ALL the time.

Regards,
          B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
            But when you sit and see ...looney personalities we rever as experts in person you think twice about taking thier crap on a forum.
            Lord, if that isn't the "pot calling the kettle black"; sorry to the forum members, could not resist.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
              Lord, if that isn't the "pot calling the kettle black"; sorry to the forum members, could not resist.

B. N. Singer
              Hello I agree, more endless blah, blah, blah. Now he goes out of his way to insult those of us with less hair, those of us that are overweight and continues to torment with years of misspelling the word "their". Bill Bourque

Comment

Ok I am putting a gag on myself and editing this before I loose it.

Bill who cares if I mispell words...only some neurotic drama queen worries about such things.
                Last edited by John Pic; 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                  Now now Mr Singer ...Mr ....but if the shoe fits and its does....well.........

You attacking me doesnt make you look very good.Talk about the wrap.

Bill who cares if I mispell words...only some neurotic drama queen worries about such things.
                  Now chief, don't go on the warpath, take a chill pill and calm down, just having a little fun, no harm intended.

When you can't have some fun in a hobby then you should up and get out.

B. N. Singer

Comment

. . .
                    Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: Ridiculous commentary not related to the primary subject matter . . .

Comment

"We have nothing to far but fear itself" and maybe throwing 30 grand down the loo ....Billbert

Comment

Reminds me of an AA meeting I saw on TV. Those who can't play are pissed at those who can.

Bob Hritz
                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Man !

No problem !
                          Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM. Reason: Respect

Comment

Doc,

I probably have 10 drinks a year. I would rather have militaria than a bar tab!

Bob
                            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Whenever you hit home on a topic you always get replies from the ones who got hit right where it matters....Its amusing to watch who replies. Remember if people really felt what someone said was nonsense they would just sit back and ignore it.
                              Last edited by John Pic; 02-03-2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Dear John Pic!
                                I like what you have posted in this thread, it's all my opinion too.
                                Best regards
                                Heinz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X