Maroon SS-Fez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maroon SS-Fez

I know other SS-Fez's have been shown on this forum very recently. My inability to have picked out the fakes in the other items I have put on the list has influenced my decision to put this one on the list as well. As with all the other items I have put on th elist, I welcome honest opinions and if you have concerns with it, I'd like to know why so I can possibly learn something new.
    Sepp
    Attached Files

Here a close-up of the insignia.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is one of the inside.
      Attached Files

Comment

And the last is of the rear. If any other fotos are required, I will be glad to post them.
        Sepp
        Attached Files

Comment

very nice item

Comment

Good Tarbusch with not common TK variation.

Cheers
            T

Comment

Thank you both for your kind words about my Fez. I was fairly confidant that this one was original but then again, I was fairly confidant my other items were original too!!! I just wish the tassel was still tacked down in the rear. The black thread still remains stitched to the body.

Thanks again!

Sepp

Comment

A very nice example.

Comment

Got same problem with my Grey fez tassel.
                  Do not worry, they are nice anyway.

Cheers
                  T

Comment

Originally posted by Drapeau Noir View Post
                    Good Tarbusch with not common TK variation.

Cheers
                    T
                    Yes, for those who seek to collect the different machine woven (aka BeVo) styles, this is one of the harder TK styles to find. They seem more common on fezzes than other headgear for some reason, but they are hard to find nonetheless.

Congrats,
                    Brad

Comment

Sorry I have to disagree on some points brought forward here. I have no doubt about the following:

Fez Body/ Linning
                      Eagle Insignia
                      Tassel

I do however believe that the TK pictured here is not an authentic example. This TK lacks the detail, and dimension that orignals found on fezzes contain. Also the wear on this TK is not consistent with the rest of the hat in question. If you look the Eagle has sufficent discoloration, and wear, while the TK does not. First signs of manipulation of the hat itself. Also this version of TK I have encountered dozens of times on known fezzes that have been "restored."

There is a dealer/ collector in Texas who has been flooding the market, since the early 1990's, with these versions of fezzes. he has been removing TK's from original fezzes, and using them on more expensive headgear. He then replaces the TK with known German forgeries, then passes them off as original. I believe this is one of those versions.

dan
                      Last edited by LUCKYFEZ; 10-24-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LUCKYFEZ View Post
                        I do however believe that the TK pictured here is not an authentic example. This TK lacks the detail, and dimension that orignals found on fezzes contain. Also the wear on this TK is not consistent with the rest of the hat in question. If you look the Eagle has sufficent discoloration, and wear, while the TK does not. First signs of manipulation of the hat itself. Also this version of TK I have encountered dozens of times on known fezzes that have been "restored."
                        I think the different tone of the eagle you are noting here might by due to lighting and the odd angle the eagle is resting in. Flash often illuminates the central point of a photograph better than it does items toward the edges. Combined with this, you are not seeing the threading face-on (as you are with the skull), but from below, which might very well cause the patch to reflect light differently

There is a dealer/ collector in Texas who has been flooding the market, since the early 1990's, with these versions of fezzes. he has been removing TK's from original fezzes, and using them on more expensive headgear. He then replaces the TK with known German forgeries, then passes them off as original. I believe this is one of those versions.

dan
                        If this is the case, two sets of stitchmarks should be visible from the rear of the fez around the skull - one where the old skull was stitched on, and another for the new. Dunno if this is the case, since there is no good photo of the rear.

Comment

Two shades of insignia alone would be no reason to dismiss one insignia as being replaced as they came in different shades to begin with and they grabbed whatever was on-hand--you would have to look for signs of replaced insignia. You will at times find mothy fezes with excellent insignia as the insects liked the wool and not the insignia.

Comment

Same style, both original:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waffe...os/S06955.html

Comment

All very good points. However the stiching on the reverse of the "restored" versions is consistent with the original. The persons wife is a professional seamstress, and has no problem manipulating the threading.

As for the eagle, I am not refering to the thread color, I am refering to the natural wear and age of the patch, and the way it sits, certainly that could affect the picture, but I see grime on the threading that the flash only highlighted. I am still under the opinion that the TK is the only post WWII item on the fez itself. No disrespect intended, but I have seen dozens of these versions. Each proved to be manipulated during in person inspections. If the owner likes it, and is comfortable with the provenance, then that is what matters in the long run.

Dan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X