CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luft flight equipment and all that's related.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merdock - your is an altimeter found predominantly in fighters.

RamJet - the 2nd needle is often hidden beneath the black masking device. I know that I have seen this in the instrument panels of the K model and also in the Ju-87, but I've looked at so many hundreds of photos over the years I can't pull one up immediately! I will see what I can find.

Regards,
    Leroy

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
      RamJet - the 2nd needle is often hidden beneath the black masking device. I know that I have seen this in the instrument panels of the K model and also in the Ju-87, but I've looked at so many hundreds of photos over the years I can't pull one up immediately! I will see what I can find.

Regards,
      Leroy

Thanks, Leroy.
      According to this list ( http://militaria-fundforum.com/showthread.php?t=71031 ) it belongs to a Bf110. And here ( http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/arc...99/Fl22240.jpg ) I found the RLM data sheet.

Comment

Hi, RamJet,
        Here is a photo showing (on the unofficial Junkers home page) this instrument in a Ju-87D center instrument cluster. I will see if I can find the 109K reference.
        The RLM Blatt is a great source, but it rarely designates which aircraft the gauge may be used in, as it is generic rather than specific. I've got a copy of the whole thing (about 2 inches thick!) and it's a great reference.
        I think we will find that some instruments may be used in aircraft for which they were not initially intended, but were pressed into service, after modification by instrument techs, if supplies were not readily availlable.
        This is (at least to you and me, if no one else!) an interesting subject.
        Regards,
        Leroy
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, very interesting indeed!

In Germany there must be a lot of people collecting whole cockpit set-ups/instrument boards of Luftwaffe WWII aircraft, I think.

Not me, I only have a few parts as additions to my Luftwaffe collection, but I nevertheless like this field.

Comment

RamJet,
            There are many collectors (the bulk being in Europe) who have amassed great collections of Luftwaffe aircraft material, including complete panels from multiple types of aircraft, which are wonderful to see! I know of an American (an engineer, formerly employed by a German aircraft manufacturer and then, later, by Lockheed) out in the California desert, who has one of the finest collections I've ever seen (especially in connection with the Me-110 and the Me-262). He's the "go to" guy for the Smithsonian and the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson. Incredible depth of knowledge.
            Believe it or not, some of the rarer instruments are now being faked to near perfection (except for the radium paint on the dials).
            Regards,
            Leroy

Comment

I know about the airspeed indicators where the rarer 750 km/h examples are faked with new dials from the 550 km/h clocks ...

Comment

Hoping I'm in the right thread for that, here is an SD250 tail :

Regards

Comment

Did the pilots ever wear their fieldcaps or visors instead of the leather helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by gewehr View Post
                    Did the pilots ever wear their fieldcaps or visors instead of the leather helmet?
                    Do you mean in flight ? I've heard about young pilots who wore their caps in flight at the very end of the war (in a book from E. Mombeek).

Comment

Originally posted by New kid View Post
                      Do you mean in flight ? I've heard about young pilots who wore their caps in flight at the very end of the war (in a book from E. Mombeek).
                      Yeah
                      I saw a picture of Rall getting out of his BF 109, wearing a leather jacket and crusher visor cap. I'm almost sure it's staged as it was his 250th kill.

Comment

Originally posted by gewehr View Post
                        Yeah
                        I saw a picture of Rall getting out of his BF 109, wearing a leather jacket and crusher visor cap. I'm almost sure it's staged as it was his 250th kill.
                        I don't think he had his cap on the head during the flight. The headphones are in the flight helmet and a pilot need them in action. But maybe during a local and very short flight ? My example of young pilots at the end of the war was about suicide pilots, so a particular example.
                        Moreover, I have two more examples in mind :
                        - I saw some times ago a period film ; it was a fighter pilot who was returning to his base and his personnal wart was waiting for him with his cap and gave it to him as soon as the canopy was open. The pilot took it on his head immediately. But perhaps it was for the camera ?
                        - several years ago, a german fighter was found in a field (which is common here in France !). the pilot was still at his place... He still wore his jacket and... his M43 in the pocket. It was a more anonymous pilot, like thousands of his comrades, and he hadn't his personnal wart to bring him the cap after the landing, so he has kept it on him.

Comment

Luftwaffe Airplane Data & ID Plates

Here's one from my collection. If there's interest, I can show others.

Anyone care to share pics of theirs?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...hryymk&thumb=4
                          Last edited by SFP54; 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

The ID plate above came from FW 190 A-5 W.Nr 55988 of 5./Sch.G. 2, that was damaged at Catania in Sicily on 21 May 1943. Prior to that, this airplane is believed to have served with the unit in Tunisia/North Africa. The relic came home with a GI.

Comment

My first second type AK 39!
                              Where came the strap from, from flight googles ?
                              And (for) what is the turnable disc on the bottom?

Thanks and Regards

Dirk
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X