• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Bjørn; 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by Bjørn View Post
      Thanks for the nice comments Gentlemen.
      I'm happier then a tornado in a trailerpark.

Cheers
      Björn
      It is very good that you really like this parts and I think that it is good that exact you had receive it.

Your friend from Russia

Comment

Originally posted by Bjørn View Post
        Hi crew.
        While we are waiting for an update on Floris's restoration project (wich I know is coming along quite well) I have a interesting story, as well as a nice update on my own Granatwerfer.

I got an email adress from my friend in Germany, to a gent in Russia, who knew more about this groundplate. I then sent a email to russia, asking about the groundplate and if it was for sale. After a couple of days, I got an email back, where I was informed that the groundplate now was in Ukraine, belonging to a friend of the Russian Gentleman. He told me that he would ask his friend in Ukraine, if the groundplate was for sale.
        Maybe Heinz (your friend in Germany) didn't tell you all the story, but it was a bit bigger.
        When he firstly write me - this plate was at selling at one Ukraine forum (we late on buying it for a few days).

It was sold to another ukrain guy. And this guy was my friend, I already was knowing him (he is reenactor of wehrmacht schwere granatwerfer zug).

And at first time when I was asking him about selling, he didn't want to sell it. Only when some time was going he write me that he ready to sell it.

All another was as you write.

Comment

A beauty Björn! Like it very much and love the before/after pics.

Comment

Very nice Björn,

Where did you get your Barrel Cover from as I'm looking for one my IF8 trailer mounted GrW.34...?

Best regards,

Martin
            Attached Files

Comment

This is for sale at £2000 in norway right now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Thanks again for the nice comments Gentlemen

I got the barrel cover from my Russian friend Kursant504, who also helped me buying the groundplate from Ukraine.
                (Thanks again, Kursant for a very good buy, and not at least for helping me aquire this awesome groundplate )

That If.8 mounted Granatwerfer looks stunning, and very nice. What a lovely piece. Beautifully restored, both Granatwerfer and the If.8 karren

The Granatwerfer Jaegermeister posted a picture of, also looks very nice.
                Not a bad price on it either. At least 1/3 less than what I have seen these sold for earlier.

Best Regards
                Björn

Comment

yes, hearty congrats on your very special mortar. i particularly like the canvas/web muzzle cover. that the codes and maker dates were the same for the two components is amazing luck. thanks for showing it. brilliant posts.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comment, CorporalSteiner

I have also collected some more original "Zubehör" or accessories for my mortar. Here is the original toolbox, wich is to be carried in the belt of one of the mortar crew:

and the contents:

Oilcan, Bottom screw, Firing pin and special tools:

And original picture of the toolbox in use:

The toolbox is the same as on the 5 cm Gr.W.36, but with different contents.

Comment

I have also got two early grenade transport cases for the Mortar. One is 1938 dated, and the second one is 1939 dated.
                      The one to the right in the next picture, I bought from (forums Moderator) Simon Orchard.
                      Thanks again for a nice deal, Simon

Incredibly, but true - Simon found this crate on a mountain here in the northern parts of Norway, just a couple of years ago.
                      The original condition is really incredible. This metal crate has been exposed to the elements of nature for almost 70 years, and still it has it's original paint and text.

Comment

Dates on the cases, and the complete insides of both crates:

Comment

And I have also found a very nice, late war wooden crate:

A very nice paper label on the inside of the lid. Unfortinently the original spacers/rack for the grenades has been removed. But the overall condition of this crate is exellent

It is obvious that these wooden crates were produced in a hurry. The "HEERES MUNITION" and "GESAMTGEWICHT" markings did not have time to dry, before the next crate was stacked on top of the previous:

Comment

I have also been able to fill up one of the two metal crates that I have, with original (deactivated) Würfgranaten

And I have also found 3 pre-war metal boxes (made of Zinc) for Teilkartuschen, or "Zusatzladungen", complete with paper labels, to place in the special holders inside the metal case:

Comment

And lucky me - I found one complete, and some contents of the original gunpowder "donuts" wich was originally stored in these Zinc containers.
                              These donuts were extra powdercharges, designed to propell the Würfgranate further, giving the mortar additional range of fire.
                              Original additional powdercharges are rare as hel*. These are absolutely harmless by themselves, and are not to be consithered explosives.
                              If (god forbid) they should catch fire, they will just burn.

Comment

And I have found a original cleaning rod, or "Rohrwischer" for the Granatwerfer.
                                It was in good condition, but covered in rust when I got it.
                                I hope that the purists here will forgive me for restoring it for future preservation and generations, and repainting it with correct and documented field-grey colour.

Here are pictures, from when I first got it:

As you can see, the cleaning rod is semi-collapsible, for easier transport. The "head" of the cleaning rod has a stiff brush, as well as a soot scrape.

Here, I have tried to document the remnants of original red primer, and field-grey/green paint that it was originally painted with:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X