Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here is the resault of the restoration.
    I have only used modern paint and products that can be removed with acetone, if the restoration should be reversed. All original finish is still undernieth this new paint, and as acetone will not damage original lead based wartime paint (IF USED CAREFULLY AND CORRECTLY), this restoration can be reversed, if desired.

Comment

I have also found this very nice, Heer marked (H) and 1940 dated "klauenbeil" or axe, wich one of the mortar crew was to carry in his belt, as part of the standard equipment:

The measuring tape, is the finest and best one that I have ever seen. Properly marked with "HEERESEIGENTUM" or army property.
      I got it from ebay

Here are the markings on the axe-head:

The axe itself has been restored. The handle is newly-made, from pictures and measurements of original examples. The axe head, was found in a barn about 20 years ago, by my friend Roger who gave it to me. (Thanks Roger)
      The only factory markings that I have found on the leather carrying frog, is a small waffenamt marking:

There is a pencil written "III Tr." inside the leather cover. This would translate into Dritte Truppe or Third squad in english. Each "Schwere Granatwerfer 34" had a squad or "Trupp" of 7 men, one horse with wagon and one wagon driver.
      2 Granatwerfer Truppen was usually sent together, as one Gruppe. The Schwere granatwerfer 34 was a part of the Battalion's large weaponery.
      The battallion commander was the one that assigned the Granatwerfer-Gruppen to the different infantry or artillery (or any other) units that needed (heavy) mortar support.

Anyway, here is the pencil markings inside the cover:

And here is the axe, together with a Kar98k Bayonet:

And a original picture, with the axe in use:

And on a uniform from my collection (to the right)

Last edited by Bjørn; 11-03-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

One member of the mortar squad should also have a "Drahtschere" or wire-cutter in his standard equipment.
        Here is a very nice early, 1938 dated and Heer (H) marked example that I was lucky to find:

Comment

And from my friend Heinz in Germany i got this very rare and specialized groundplate. It was possibly made for mounting in fortified concrete stands, but also for Gebirgsjäger (?)
          These groundplates are often called "Bodenplatte Eis" or groundplate for ice, and they are also called "Dorn" or Spike in english.

I have only seen one single photo of this particular groundplate in use, and I presume that these men are Gebirgsjäger's.

Comment

And another member of the mortar crew, was equipped with a saw.

I was lucky to find a beautiful 1942 dated example locally in my home town

Comment

I hope that I'm not ending up with just boring the forums members here to death, with too much details and information.
              All the "specialized" accessories and equipment (wich is mostly known as Pionier equipment by todays collectors) that I have pictured and posted, are mentioned in the original training booklet (1940 edition) wich I also have in my collection.

I hope you liked the pictures and info.

Cheers
              Björn
              Last edited by Bjørn; 11-03-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Hi Bjorn

I also have a Bodenplatte Eis, see attached picture, I bought mine from Ebay Germany in 2011.

Regards

Richard

Comment

Very nice Bodenplatten guys! I never saw one before so I imagine they
                  are quite rare.

Also a small update on my restoration project: the whole bipod of my mortar
                  is stripped of filler and paint to the bare metal and Bjorn was so kind to help
                  me with spare parts to replace the parts on my bipod which were too far gone.

Both legs were not able to move when I got the bipod but luckily I was able
                  to get the mechanisms working again (the knobs to loosen or tighten the legs).
                  Both legs were very rusted but luckily Bjorn gave me a right leg. The left leg
                  will be carefully reproduced by a metal worker not far where I live and he'll try
                  to "rescue" as much as original parts as possible to keep it authentic.

Soon all parts will come back together and everything will get a nice coat of
                  tan paint

Comment

Hi Floriskok,
                    It is really great to see someone gradually succeed in restoring a 8cm mortar from some recovered parts! Brilliant! Bjorn is a true enthusiast and his help is appreciated by other enthusiasts. I hope Bjorn continues to post 8cm GrW 34 related items because seeing these tools and other parts is an education. It is only when you know what to look for that you can identify these scarce tools etc when you are fortunate enough to encounter them. Keep up the great work!
                    Regards,
                    Draoich

Comment

Bodenplatte fur s.gr.W.34

Hi, guys! I have one ground dug bodenplatte for sale, if you are interested in - let me know, I shall show you a photo.
                      Best regards, Sergey.

Comment

Sold

Comment

On german ebay right now.
                          http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mundungskappe...item460a088c6b

Comment

Please identify the pictures Mortar
                            What type and year of production ?
                            Thanks Wojtek

Comment

8cm GrW 73 Mortar

Hi Wojtek,
                              This photo has previously been posted. I think this mortar is one of the trials type intended as a replacement for the 8cm GrW 34 by the Germans. This was known as the 8cm GrW 73, developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig AG and introduced as trials type in 1944. This 8cm mortar offered a maximum range of 4500 metres (nearly twice the range of the GrW. 34) utilising the new Wurfgranate 42 mortar bomb. It could also use the standard 81mm ammunition and offered improved mobility as it was slightly lighter than the 8cm GrW.34 itself.
                              Draoich

Comment

They won't get very far without these.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X