This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
    Dani or to anyone here, if Bernd's book is published, I would appreciate a PM/Email letting me know about this. I would very much like to purchase this. Wonder if it will be available in the United States?

Thanks and Best Regards,
    JustinG
    Well, the book is still a good bit away - I know Bernd Wedeking is working on it. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether 6 months, 1 year or 5 years until it will be finished.
    I also can't say which publisher it will be or where it will be available or whether only in German or mixed language German/English. As soon I get to know somthing what I'm allowed to pass on, I will make it official here.

Rgds

Dani

Comment

Gents,
      I’m feeling bad to interrupt your conversation and disturb this flow.
      But as I promised, I’d like to show my latest beauty: a tally from the MARINE FELD COMP. = DEUTSCH OST AFRIKA (Marine Feld Compagnie Deutsch Ost Afrika).

This is not an official tally, but a cantina one because of the length of approx. 150 cm (59 inch), thicker base material, the kind of woven letters and incorrect orthography.

This tally might be worn from any member of the Marine Detachment Dar es Salaam, which was built from members of the Light Cruiser S.M.S. Bussard and from the 2nd Sea Battalion during the rebellion in the former colony of German East Africa.
      Even not an official one, it’s a nice piece of history which shows how difficult it is to judge the numbers of possible (existing) tallies.
      BR,
      Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

(close-up)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
          Well, thinking about it, it's not necessarily moths who caused the damage - can be also dampness or other factors.
          Considering the cap is regular sized, it is remarkable the lettering went ALL around the cap.

Dani
          Dani,
          A very nice item! And honestly, I would not care about the ruined cap while having this rare tally!
          BR, Chris
          Last edited by John R.; 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Dani,

Very interesting to see lettering in your cap don't suffered soo much damages, it's a very interesting piece to have preserved as found.

Chris,

Very nice historic piece from periode before the WWI you showed now. Is amazing to see a more than 100 years old piece like this in excellent conditions.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Is this KM Cap Tally good?

I found this today at a flea market in Gerlingen Germany. It looks to have been cut. All the lettering has the ghosting effect to them. This is not my specialty but the price was right so I went for it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Back

Back
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a nice cotton thread tally.
                    Since you said the price was good, I assume 25-40Euro? This is around market price for a piece like this. (cut and cotton)
                    Full length would be 40-60Euro for a price reference IMO.

A nice pick up.

Regards,
                    JustinG

Comment

I paid 20€

Comment

You did good

Comment

Looks good to me too.
                          But why someone has cutted it soo short?
                          Is it for display purpose?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Only thing I can think of is that the rest of the tassel was messed up so they cut it to save the rest of it.

Comment

Well, in the first shot posted by Chad, you can see that there are pin-holes in the tally. Probably for someone to display at one point. These tallies are quite long 110-150cm. Many people have shortened these down. This takes away some of the value but makes it easier to display or frame.

You never want to iron or apply any heating device to these as this will cause the silk to become "shimmering" The cotton tallies are more forgiving than the other Cellon or Metalfaden versions.
                              Check out the pinned thread for KM/RM/Imperial tallies. There is some great info on what constitutes a good period piece as well as general handling and storage suggestions from many people who are very experienced with Mützenbander/Cap tallies.

Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Info marineschule mürwik cap tally

Hi
                                Can tell me anybody if the MARINESCHULE MÜRWIK cap tally with gothic script was used too in the early years of bundesmarine until 1960 as I read it in internet and so if somebody can confirm to me such thing for early bundesmarine,how can I see the difference beetween both from different period?
                                Recently I purchased this one posted here and I will be posting better pics when the item arrives to me,while I post the auction bid............

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Many thanks in advance

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X