GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questionable Schulterklappen, Tropenuniform on the E-Stand ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French material was of course much used by the german Army .
    Corduroy cotton cloth was used prewar and during the war by the KM also ,
    in green or sand colour .
    Corduroy cotton cloth was used also by the french Army prewar but also postwar ...
    The breeches on E Bay are british 1939 , not french .
    The wool on the single DAK strap is not french either .
    2 types of wool are existing in 1940 in the french Army : Rough classical period wool and a more modern gabardine wool introduced in 1938 .
    This is no one of them . the french gabardine cloth is finer than the back kaki cloth
    of the DAK strap .
    IMO more of a CS made wool with a structure in the cloth ?
    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Hptm. Fuhrmann View Post
      My pleasure, gents.
      The more I delve into french uniforms, the more I notice such things. Here is my newest discovery, check out these >>french cavalry breeches<<. I've seen some more of them and most were made in a smooth cotton corduroy fabric ranging from dark beige to olive green in colour. Looks strikingly like the fabric that most german tropical breeches were made of, scraps were also used as material for the tongues of shoulder straps, as can be seen in Tim's set of panzer straps in post #108. Cotton corduroy fabric has occasionally been seen before in german military use, mainly in some WW1 uniforms, but I think it is safe to assume that the WW2 tropical corduroy fabric too, was taken from french stocks and/or continued to be produced for the germans during occupation.

Best regards,
      Andy
      Thanks again. This has been discussed before when I had the crazy idea that the strap production timeline could be narrowed down somewhat by comparing the materials used, to their origin ? Hopefully some one will take up this study. There are 1940 dated corduroy breeches hence scraps/straps.

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
        French material was of course much used by the german Army .
        Corduroy cotton cloth was used prewar and during the war by the KM also ,
        in green or sand colour .
        Corduroy cotton cloth was used also by the french Army prewar but also postwar ...
        The breeches on E Bay are british 1939 , not french .
        The wool on the single DAK strap is not french either .
        2 types of wool are existing in 1940 in the french Army : Rough classical period wool and a more modern gabardine wool introduced in 1938 .
        This is no one of them . the french gabardine cloth is finer than the back kaki cloth
        of the DAK strap .
        IMO more of a CS made wool with a structure in the cloth ?
        Nick
        Agree corduroy from the French was used. Along with German material.

Thanks for the added info on French wool. And comment on the coat strap. The need for tropical uniforms increased rapidly so the Germans used any materials they could find.

Comment

Opinions welcome on these

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/...animation=true

Feel free to add any tropical straps original or fake anyone, as that is the purpose of this thread...

All comments welcome as always ?[/QUOTE]

Greetings Gents,
          I am seeking your knowledgable opinion on these straps. I see what a minefield tropical shoulder straps are.
          Last edited by beachgrip; 08-18-2019, 03:29 AM. Reason: difficulty in posting images

Comment

Hi beachgrip

Can not see the images ? Best to become an association member and post.

cheers
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
              Hi beachgrip

Can not see the images ? Best to become an association member and post.

cheers
              Tim
              Thanks Tim,
              I'm sorry they didn't come through. I had a lot of trouble trying to post the images.
              I'll take your advice and become an associate member, then try again,
              regards.

Comment

Here is a set of obvious fakes offered for sale currently. The materials are correct but the construction is not. There is a brief discussion of them in the link.

Comment

And an undisputable original unissued strap to compare.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Opinions please. Tropical NCO shoulder boards.

Originally posted by beachgrip View Post
                    Thanks Tim,
                    I'm sorry they didn't come through. I had a lot of trouble trying to post the images.
                    regards.
                    Greetings Gentlemen.
                    I would be grateful for your opinions on these tropical shoulder boards, bought from a reputable US dealer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beachgrip View Post
                      Thanks Tim,
                      regards.
                      Last two images.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Definitely originals. Nice to have if you buy them.

Comment

Hi Eric

Your membership fee will pay off easily if you collect tropical straps.

Your straps are great faded examples that any collector would be happy with.
                          Thanks for adding them to the thread

with kind regards
                          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                            Hi Eric

Your membership fee will pay off easily if you collect tropical straps.

Your straps are great faded examples that any collector would be happy with.
                            Thanks for adding them to the thread

with kind regards
                            Tim
                            Thanks Guys,
                            That's great to hear. I bought them from Mike Davis at Virtual Grenadier, a real gentleman.
                            Regards,
                            Eric.

Comment

Here is a set of "original DAK Art straps" for sale on another dealers site.
                              One piece tops, the tresse has been removed. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts, LW Flak or fake ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X