• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

patina/tarnish on silver
    first you get the rainbow colours then it turns black
    Attached Files

Comment

A patina is an appearance acquired over time...that adds beauty to an object.

I don't know that I'd call tarnish on silver a patina.

Wood that has aged and been polished acquires a desirable patina. Wood that hasn't been cared for doesn't.

You can prefer any look you like...but a "patina of dirt" doesn't really work...

Comment

That's why I put patina/tarnish
        It's tarnish and on most silver items needs to be careful removed avoiding the hall
        marks

Comment

Originally posted by FreeRange View Post
          A patina is an appearance acquired over time...that adds beauty to an object.

I don't know that I'd call tarnish on silver a patina.

Wood that has aged and been polished acquires a desirable patina. Wood that hasn't been cared for doesn't.

You can prefer any look you like...but a "patina of dirt" doesn't really work...
          Spot on mate, collectors who don't know how to clean and preserve a dagger have hijacked the term 'patina', which in most cases is just dirt. I remember a while back some of the 'don't touch it brigade' bashing their bishops over an SS dagger whith a dirty great spot of green crud, (eventually a hole) on the bottom fitting

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan View Post
            Spot on mate, collectors who don't know how to clean and preserve a dagger have hijacked the term 'patina', which in most cases is just dirt. I remember a while back some of the 'don't touch it brigade' bashing their bishops over an SS dagger whith a dirty great spot of green crud, (eventually a hole) on the bottom fitting
            Exactly

Comment

Spot on mate, collectors who don't know how to clean and preserve a dagger have hijacked the term 'patina', which in most cases is just dirt.:
              Nolan...

Please refer to post #53...

Many knowledgable collectors know the difference between patina and dirt. Patina and dirt are certainly not the same. Your inference that some of us who don't polish away as 'hijackers' of the term patina is patently incorrect.

May I suggest the following musical accompaniment while rubbing away....

"Shine on you crazy diamond..." - Pink Floyd.

All the best.

Tony

P.S. I do know a bit about blades...I handcraft custom knives.
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                It's the ammonia gas ,and I guess other things , that helps patinate items left hanging in a dunny not liquid ammonia which is a cleaning agent
                I've never heard of ammonia creating tarnish. However, Hydrogen Sulphide will. I remember years past of a gas well blowout in which H2S gas was released. For miles and miles around, people had their silverware tarnished beyond belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  I've never heard of ammonia creating tarnish. However, Hydrogen Sulphide will. I remember years past of a gas well blowout in which H2S gas was released. For miles and miles around, people had their silverware tarnished beyond belief.
                  As an electrician in a waste water treatment plant, I can vouch for the harmful effects of H2S on any metal.
                  Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
                    Nolan...

Please refer to post #53...

Many knowledgable collectors know the difference between patina and dirt. Patina and dirt are certainly not the same. Your inference that some of us who don't polish away as 'hijackers' of the term patina is patently incorrect.

May I suggest the following musical accompaniment while rubbing away....

"Shine on you crazy diamond..." - Pink Floyd.

All the best.

Tony

P.S. I do know a bit about blades...I handcraft custom knives.

Maybe you should read my post properly, or, as they say on a UK TV advert,

' Should have gone to Specsavers'

The clue is in the phrase ' collectors who Don't know how to clean and preserve', you take my post as inferring, maybe then I can 'infer' back that you like green rot on your fittings, but I won't.
                    Last edited by Nolan; 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Maybe you should read my post properly, or, as they say on a UK TV advert,

' Should have gone to Specsavers'

The clue is in the phrase ' collectors who Don't know how to clean and preserve', you take my post as inferring, maybe then I can 'infer' back that you like green rot on your fittings, but I won't.

Nolan,
                      It's sad that most collectors don't know how to properly 'clean' antiques with damaging their value.

The 'green rot' is neither patina nor dirt. It's vertigo is and yes it needs to be carefully removed. See we agree on something.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
                        Nolan,
                        It's sad that most collectors don't know how to properly 'clean' antiques with damaging their value.

The 'green rot' is neither patina nor dirt. It's vertigo is and yes it needs to be carefully removed. See we agree on something.

Tony
                        Vertigo is a problem with your ears and balance, I think you mean verdigris

Comment

Vertigo is a problem with your ears and balance, I think you mean verdigris
                          Yep....
                          Verdigris.
                          There is a difference. Just like patina and dirt.
                          All the best.
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                            patina/tarnish on silver
                            first you get the rainbow colours then it turns black
                            I tried to tell you - the same thing happens to blades and coins.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X