This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OSS View Post
    And before you point out the exceptions to this rule, allow me to suggest General Adalbert Schulz:

Yes,he wore a pretty funky looking private purchase black M43 hat as well,kind of reminded me of a top hat.

Thanks for the photos.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
      but now we are doing it again...
      Surprised? Not I. To forecast the outcome, based on years of similar discussions:
      • Some will say they dislike the items
      • No one will say they like the items
      • Those who won't say they dislike, or like, the items will say anything is possible
      • Large volumes of smoke will be deployed
      • Those who dislike the items will be portrayed as self-serving experts with an agenda...."Gods" as some have said elsewhere (already)
      • Those who dislike the items will be put on the defensive
      • No one will declare they like the items enough to purchase the "rare" items
      • Those who won't say one way or another will claim to be open-minded and that no one could possibly know
      Correct me if I am wrong...
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Zauberflöte's post is exactly right. There will be "point-counterpoint" on everything. For everything "which did not exist", someone will find a photo of one in existence. Not a single person here has examined the items in question in hand or knows the story behind them or what Richard may have known or seen, or, more importantly, whether he would have actually wanted these particular pieces to be the "debut" pieces for sale from his collection (a collection, by the way, which many here know contained very, very many perfectly good, and certainly less controversial, "one looker" items).

I will stick with what I said before:

Originally posted by Leroy View Post

Richard was very candid about his German collection and told me many times that he KNEW that there would be people who would doubt some of his pieces, but that if he had the chance to explain what there was about a particular piece which compelled him to buy it, he thought many would understand and change their views. He also freely acknowledged that there were some things he may have made a mistake about, and if someone who didn't like something had proveably valid criticism, he would yield and honestly acknowledge his error. He knew full well that the more exotic an item was, the more likely it was to draw criticism.

Unfortunately, he is gone now and we will never have the chance to hear his views on these pieces.
        This entire business is simply sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post

This entire business is simply sad.
          I am sure we will disagree on what is truly sad....
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
            I am sure we will disagree on what is truly sad....
            Probably.

Comment

I think the cautionary tale here is that even "Richard P." was likely a victim of sophisticated fake sellers, in spite of his years of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                I think the cautionary tale here is that even "Richard P." was likely a victim of sophisticated fake sellers, in spite of his years of experience.
                Based only on what I can see at this point, with no other input available from Richard, I am forced to agree.

Comment

well at least the side cap with pink piping deserves a second glance imo.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
                    well at least the side cap with pink piping deserves a second glance imo.
                    you mean this one ?

untill i checked to be sure, i wondered when i first saw it if it was the one pictured in Pruett/Edwards book "field uniforms of germany's panzer elite".
                    i had a doubt because i remembered well of the use of a KM cocarde on the sidecap in this book (page 282).
                    it is a different one of course, but a very clever "tailor made" fake.
                    derka

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post
                      , but a very clever "tailor made" fake.
                      derka
                      This is exactly the point where I am not sure.
                      Last edited by LuckyStrike23; 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM. Reason: .

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=322626

Comment

Leroy.

What makes you think NO ONE has seen the caps and jackets who post here ?

o

Comment

yes, i remember this thread, my opinion about this sidecap has not changed since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                              Leroy.

What makes you think NO ONE has seen the caps and jackets who post here ?

o
                              Owen - I was not aware that anyone who had already actually posted in these two threads had handled in person any of these pieces. From reading the most recent post by LuckyStrike23, that may not, in fact, be the case. Also, I have been sent this link a little while ago on another of the caps: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=Global&page=2 There may well be others who post regularly on this Forum (but who hadn't posted in these threads) who have personal in-hand knowledge of some of these pieces, but haven't yet mentioned such knowledge, but I don't know who. You and Richard used to "go round", so maybe you're one of those people?

Comment

L,
                                Richard would bring all these pieces to the So Cal monthly meetings every time he showed up.
                                They were seen by at least 15 guys during this time for the duration of the meeting.
                                Each member usually brought 1 item.
                                There are several WAF members who were there each time.
                                o

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X