• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#74 SA Gruppe Bayer.Ostmark Sport-U.Wehrwettkampfe - 1939
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Harding View Post
      Hello, I would not be too discourged at selling part of your collection in the 1980's. As Badges still slip through the net, although I have to admit that I have noticed via ebay.com SA tinnies no longer slip through ebay Auctions unnoticed.
      Yes with reference to your Badge that is a text Book pin plate, virtually the identical pin plate Brehmer used on their Flugtag badges/tinnies.
      Thank you Martin

I also noticed that Wursten (also from Mark-Neukirchen) used the same
      type of pin plate set-up on the "Nationaler Flugtag 1933" tinnie I have

Regards

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
        Thank you Martin

I also noticed that Wursten (also from Mark-Neukirchen) used the same
        type of pin plate set-up on the "Nationaler Flugtag 1933" tinnie I have

Regards

JC
        Now that is so ironic as literally seconds before reading your reply I posted a Flugtag Tinnie (Flugtag Erfurt N.S.D.A.P Thuringen) on one of my threads by the maker you refer to. below is the link to my thread >>>>

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...53#post6060453

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
          Very nice collection of SA tinnies Martin! Tinnies # 71 & 72 SA Brigade Appell 1933 for Dresden & Leipzig ... any idea how many variants of this badges there are ? I also have the same badge for Bautzen (3.12.1933)

Regards

JC
          There is another one for Plauen, and i think Chemnitz
          Mametz

Comment

Originally posted by mametz View Post
            There is another one for Plauen, and i think Chemnitz
            Mametz

Hello, yes now that you mention it I do recall that there is definately an SA one of the same design for Plauen - Brigade Appell Plauen 15.10.1933. Albeit I wasn't aware there was one for Chemniz but if there is I definately wish to acquire one ................ ahhhhhhhh collecting tinnies could drive one insane

Comment

I would get a little washing up liquid and a toothbrush to work on this one :- SA Gruppe Bayer . It does wonders for porcelain and terracotta tinnies.
              Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
                I would get a little washing up liquid and a toothbrush to work on this one :- SA Gruppe Bayer . It does wonders for porcelain and terracotta tinnies.
                Pete
                Hello, I appreciate the advice, however from my perspective it is best never to clean anything that has significant age to it, especially Bisque porcelain as it is unglazed. your correct Initially one might see spectacular results but long term the water absorbs through the surface as this particular Badge is porous as it has no glaze.
                On metal constructed Badges it can be even worse to clean them as many period Badges have an anodised finish (especially the alloy badges), silver wash, silver plate, bronze patina that is destroyed forever with cleaning.
                In some cases however one has to remove Verdigris, the greenish-blue poisonous pigment a result from the pentration of acetic acid on metals that have a copper base, although even then certain Verdigris Patina can be considered desirable. Zinc pest as many collectors are already aware is yet another problem however similar to rust zinc pest can also eat from within.
                I am far from perfect however and do not always practice what I preach ............. only a few weeks back I was tempted to remove marks from a very rare HJ Flugtag. Marks that looked similar to black tar spots. I proceeded to attemp to remove the Black area gently using my thumb nail and the results were a complete disaster as the silver plating on the Badge over the years had lifted from the zinc metal base, hence the finish just crumbled to dust under even the gentlest of touch.
                It is perhaps best to keep Badges in cases to prevent them from been exposed the atmosphere and dust. Again something I make the fatal mistake of preaching but not always practising oneself.
                Regards Martin
                Last edited by Martin Harding; 09-20-2013, 05:44 AM.

Comment

#75 SA Magdeburg 23.2.36 Einweihung S.A. Ehrenmal Der Gruppe Mitte - 1936
                  Attached Files

Comment

SA Gruppe Bayer.Ostmark Sport-U.Wehrwettkampfe - 1938

Here's my SA Gruppe Bayer.Ostmark - 1938 in zinc.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Harding View Post
                      Hello, I appreciate the advice, however from my perspective it is best never to clean anything that has significant age to it, especially Bisque porcelain as it is unglazed. your correct Initially one might see spectacular results but long term the water absorbs through the surface as this particular Badge is porous as it has no glaze.
                      On metal constructed Badges it can be even worse to clean them as many period Badges have an anodised finish (especially the alloy badges), silver wash, silver plate, bronze patina that is destroyed forever with cleaning.
                      In some cases however one has to remove Verdigris, the greenish-blue poisonous pigment a result from the pentration of acetic acid on metals that have a copper base, although even then certain Verdigris Patina can be considered desirable. Zinc pest as many collectors are already aware is yet another problem however similar to rust zinc pest can also eat from within.
                      I am far from perfect however and do not always practice what I preach ............. only a few weeks back I was tempted to remove marks from a very rare HJ Flugtag. Marks that looked similar to black tar spots. I proceeded to attemp to remove the Black area gently using my thumb nail and the results were a complete disaster as the silver plating on the Badge over the years had lifted from the zinc metal base, hence the finish just crumbled to dust under even the gentlest of touch.
                      It is perhaps best to keep Badges in cases to prevent them from been exposed the atmosphere and dust. Again something I make the fatal mistake of preaching but not always practising oneself.
                      Regards Martin
                      Martin,
                      Don`t feel bad. I took a cloth with metal polish to a painted WHW pin and in one stroke wiped away a small part of history.. Completely gone

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lee View Post
                        Martin,
                        Don`t feel bad. I took a cloth with metal polish to a painted WHW pin and in one stroke wiped away a small part of history.. Completely gone
                        Drac your back I should have known that a stake through the Heart only works in fictious Films and would never kill an immortal in real life.........
                        Well would you believe it I am actually cleaning a tinnie and after all that I have previously stated alas it is the dreaded zinc pest but fear not as I am using Garlic and Holy water to keep it at bay joking aside I have the Badge soaked in DW40 as pentrating oil works well if the zinc pest is only blooming the surface ................. after cleaning all remains of the Oil I will wipe the surface with olive Oil. This also protects the patina as well as the metal. Olive Oil works best on Pewter ............ having said that Popeye may not agree
                        I will post the tinnie that I am refering to on this thread next ............ The Badge is one that you also have in your collection ............. here is a clue it is a very scarce SA Badge
                        Last edited by Martin Harding; 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by James Noble View Post
                          Here's my SA Gruppe Bayer.Ostmark - 1938 in zinc.
                          Thank you for posting James there is also a Bakelite variant of that S.A Badge. I will eventually (time permitting) post the Bakelite variation on this thread

Comment

SA. Wehrwett Kampf.Salzburg 24.25. Juni 1939 S.A Geb.Jagerbrigade 98
                            Attached Files

Comment

#77 SA Gruppe Franken 1938 Kampftage Der SA
                              #78 SA Gruppe Franken 1938 Kampftage Der SA

NB: Badge to the right is a rare variant or mistake, the Year is upside down
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Martin Harding; 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM.

Comment

How strange ........... after closer inspection of the above Badges, One discovers that the reverse of the Badges are Identical. Hence if then both Badges are then turned over showing Obverses the Dates are not then upside down on either Badge........... just the swords are in different directions..... One facing Upwards one facing downwards and of course the text on the opposite sides. perhaps this was intentional and there are two variants of the Badge after all
                                The Pictures below will hopefully demonstrate what I mean
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X