No announcement yet.

Gau Thuringen Remaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Stan. I am dumbfounded. Did you have a chance to see if the needle assembly on his silver one was magnetic or what? Also, is that a small indent on the base of the pin structure of the silver one next to the hinge that is not seen on the brass example?

Herr Harbauer did not live in Thuringen and was an Ehrenhalbe recipient of the eagle. I wonder if Chris has tried to learn if any interesting correspondence is in the archives for Harbauer?

So what do we have now? Two different manufacturers as the two post examples are both early and late and the single long base is in the middle of the production.

Comment

Bro James. The 800 was the silver content not the issue number.

Joe, what indent are you referring to? Can you circle it?

As I said before, another piece in the puzzle.

Stan
      Last edited by Stan; 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

A little bit off topic but today I visited Bletchley Park outside London where the German Enigma code was broken by Alan Turing and his colleagues. Hut 6 where he broke the code is second on the left on the last foto. The brick walls are protection against bomb blasts. Visiting Bletchley Park has been on my Bucket List for a long time!

Stan
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Stan

Stan, I don't have any drawing ability in MS Office Picture Mgr (that I know of) so I cropped to show only the hinges. The indent is the upright rectangle shape to the left of the silver metal hinge base. There is no corresponding shape to the right of the brass color metal hinge base. Also, it appear the base of the pins in the respective hingers are of different shape? Or is that perhaps a difference in repair.

The Blechley Park photos are great. Would love to visit it after reading the various stories of the events. So much for German Hubris in thinking their code was unbreakable. But the Allies never broke the Gestapo code, as the kept using the tear-sheet method.
          Attached Files

Comment

Joe,

I now know what you mean. Fortunately I took lots of fotos and you can clearly see the rectangular indent on this photo.

However, I don’t believe that this is anything other than damage and that two pin systems are otherwise identical.

Stan
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              Silver Eagle #800 was awarded to Gustav Kripp, who held the GPB and NSDAP Membership Number 44744.

Where did you see that one ?

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                Where did you see that one ?

Stan

Stan explained it.

Comment

Joe,

I now know what you mean. Fortunately I took lots of fotos and you can clearly see the rectangular indent on this photo.

However, I don’t believe that this is anything other than damage and that two pin systems are otherwise identical.

Stan
                  I guess we will agree to disagree. The rectangle is perfectly man made,not damage IMO. And the pins themselves are totally different in size and construction of the portion in the hinge. IMO- not identical pins and therefore in question to me.

Comment

Here is another bronze badge I have on file which has been silver plated. This is the reverse shot of the badge shown in #45 and also shown in the CG book.

A variant or simply a replacement badge?

Stan
                    Attached Files

Comment

A variant or simply a replacement badge?

Neither: A second piece, rare as hens' teeth - the standard version with the same number also survived.

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                        Neither: A second piece, rare as hens' teeth - the standard version with the same number also survived.
                        Then why do you state that you are sceptical of the Bronze version which is identical in every respect to the above one apart from the silver finish?

Stan
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, a bronze numbered 186 !!! Never seen any like it, I thought those were only numbered >>1000 ? I am still sceptical of those bronze, until we know they were actually bestowed. It might be expected that a list should exist, like for the silver.

Comment

Gau Thüringen badge #186 was awarded to Alwin Düring.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                              Gau Thüringen badge #186 was awarded to Alwin Düring.

Br. James
                              The bronze grade ?!?!?!?

Comment

A friend of mine is compiling a new list of recipients of the Silver Gau Thueringen badge which will include details of badge numbers above 1000.

If anyone has any details of recipients name, town and badge issue number plus party number if available, they wish to share, please PM me with them and I will pass them on.

Many thanks.

Stan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X