Gau Thuringen Remaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gau Thuringen Remaked

Simple badge design and unfortunately equally simple design to re-make. This is for those of us that thought we were on a safe ground with those pins. Most pics below come from this site and since I scrolled any available threads to pull them I can tell you that those fakes did (and still do) fool most collectors in this field. For the rest that chose to believe its no biggie- enjoy your bliss.
    Let's start with a confirmed fake. A cast bearing the number 358. Look at the circled areas- few cast bubbles but also a small blob near the center of a swastica as well as repetitive (repetitive as in all of those fake badges) blobs on the verso, between the swastika arms.
    Attached Files

next one

Next one up- a fake bronze 222 marked badge. As we'll see 222 seem to be quite a popular number on those pins. This one features a 'tear' to the side of the eagle's neck- also a trait that is present on most (but not all) of the more questionable Gau Thuringen badges. The usual and already mentioned (and circled) features are also present.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up on the number

Close up on the number.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Next

Next one up- IMO another badge that features some of the more unsettling features. This one engraved 991. Adren (who I believe owns this example posted much better pics elsewhere on this forum revealing those features in bigger scale)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

another 222

This one- another 222 as posted by Gary. Not sharp enough to make out the details but look at the circled areas.
          Attached Files

Comment

222 numeral detail

My futile attempt at the numerals close up.
            Attached Files

Comment

another 222

Yet another 222. This time in bronze grade. Again- too small to make out any details.
              Attached Files

Comment

Another badge that I would welcome opinions on here
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

And the verso. Can't make out any crucial details myself so any help is appreciated on this one
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Interesting forensic examination.

Comment

Copyrighted images posted. Sorry =(
                      Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

The variance in pin is obvious on some of them. Are all the fake silver badges marked 800?

Comment

Good work Matthew.

The Bronze version marked "222" in Post#7 appears to be original though. Maybe this was the one the faker copied?

Stan

Comment

I agree with Stan, the bronze 222 is genuine.

Comment

Here is the thread on my badge awhile back, I got the badge from Gary Symonds. I did like it alot then and if it is bad, then it is an excellent fake.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=505623

I did not know that if there is a "blob" then it is a fake? Is it common knowledge to these badges?

I've seen some cast pieces but the finish looks a lot like patinaned silver to me when looking at it in hand. I will try to make better pictures later.

Best Regards,

Adren
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X