• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runic brooch photo

Just got this one in, which I'd like to share with you cultural fans on WAF
    Now looking for the brooch!
    Attached Files

Hi Dmv,

Is this an actual photo or is it in post card format? If the latter, then perhaps you could show us the reverse?

I freely admit that I'm no expert on runic symbols, and there were a number of runic alphabets in use over the centuries and in different areas. This character doesn't look familiar to me and I'm wondering whether this might be a runic-style logo of an organization? A nice piece, though!

Br. James

Comment

Hi Dmv,

Another very fine find, really like this picture. It's quite hard to find pictures of these brooches in wear. I might have one or two with this symbol, will try and dig up tomorrow.

The symbol/rune on the brooh is that of "Tue Gutes" ("Do Good"), it's definately one that was used at the time on brooches like this one!

best regards,
      Gaston

Comment

@ Br James: it's an actual photo, but made as postcard format as often seen, see attachment for reserve (scan looks whiter). Unfortunally no name of the person on front.
        The photo was made by Brigitte Höber. I found on the net that she also made this photo, see captation, so she is a photographer from the time period.
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...lingstreck.jpg

@ Jabnus, thanks for explaining the meaning of the brooch. Apart from RAD brooches it's indeed very hard to find photo's in wear.
        If you have images, please post
        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome!
          Dmv ...much thanks for sharing . I really enjoy it.

I don't know about the information Jabnus gave you, but I am sure it is true as he is an excellent fount of wisdom.
          But I do know other important information about that exact symbol.

In my SS literature of the era this symbol was thought to be a "House Mark." Literally found carved on the wall of an old house .This HausMark denotes clan and /or family status . They were obviously of a runic nature, as we all can see.

I consider them something slightly akin to heraldry.

Comment

Hi,

Im at work now in my break and don't have any books here, so type this from memory, but if i remember well the same symbol is pictured in Walther Blachetta's rune book and there indeed described as a house/heraldic symbol.

The information i typed above comes from the small catalog of brooch maker Christian Deininger, were the meaning of the brooch with that rune is described as "Tue Gutes". The pictures are somewhere on the forum in a thread from last year, but i can post better pictures of them tonight if anyone wants to see. I haven't had the time to take a picture of the brooch, but will if it's still light when i get home (sorry haven't had much time off from work the past few days).

best regards,
            Gaston

Comment

Here's some pictures of my brooch:
              Attached Files

Comment

And details from the catalog from Christian Deininger:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
                  In my SS literature of the era this symbol was thought to be a "House Mark." Literally found carved on the wall of an old house .This HausMark denotes clan and /or family status . They were obviously of a runic nature, as we all can see.

I consider them something slightly akin to heraldry.
                  Here's a picture from Walter Blachetta's "Das Buch der Deutschen Sinnzeichen", it is listed there under the chapter on Hand, Haus und Hofmarken.

My guess is that the description of "Tue Gutes" ("Do Good") is a very loose interpretation of the symbol described by Blachetta. I too think this is some kind of housemark that was carved in wood or forged in iron and added to a house as a sort of family emblem or heraldic sign. Deninger used similar loosely translated descriptions for other runic brooches as well. E.g he translates an Odal rune as "Treue Freundschaft" ("true friendship"), or e.g a Lebensrune ("Life Rune") as "Sei Mensch" ("Be Human").

Best regards,
                  Gaston
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jabnus; 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Ein bischen Mehr Information

Hello all...and jabnus. So much excellent info impels me to share.
                    Two SS published examples of runic Hausmarken and an old wood carved Sippen tray (for a marriage family merger or a birth) with a partial example of the Hausmark in question.
                    Hey Dmv, you are receiving intense information on your image.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice tray for postcards and brooches.
                      This tray shows the symbols were definitely Sippen clan/family related.
                      Attached Files

Comment

How could I have missed this thread.Very nice items are shown(Michael love your tray ) and offcourse the brooche that started it all.

Etienne

Comment

Hi Michael,

That's some great stuff you show. The Germanien booklet and Schwarze Korps picture are great sources.

I also like the tray and the runes on it, this is for a change some real cultural wood. It also shows that not everything was strictly SS, just like my brooch is also not SS. These were civilian cultural items in a period in which these matters were promoted, not only by or for the SS. I have a booklet by well known dutch NSB leader Reydon, called "Huismerken" ("House Marks"), i think the runes on your tray are in there too. I've had a too long day today to scroll through it, but will see if maybe something interesting is in there tomorrow.

Best regards,
                          Gaston

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post
                            Hi Michael,

That's some great stuff you show. The Germanien booklet and Schwarze Korps picture are great sources.

I also like the tray and the runes on it, this is for a change some real cultural wood. It also shows that not everything was strictly SS, just like my brooch is also not SS. These were civilian cultural items in a period in which these matters were promoted, not only by or for the SS. I have a booklet by well known dutch NSB leader Reydon, called "Huismerken" ("House Marks"), i think the runes on your tray are in there too. I've had a too long day today to scroll through it, but will see if maybe something interesting is in there tomorrow.

Best regards,
                            Gaston
                            Hello Gaston, I would be very interested in any info on the symbols carved on my Sippen tray.
                            You also make a good point: this tray is exactly what the SS would love to see , but is not overtly showing any SS direct connection.
                            While it could have been used by an SS family,It could be totally non SS and instead used by those in NSDAP proper or simply civilians influenced by NS and SS approved sources.

The postcard at the start of thread would have warmed Himmler's heart whether she was an SS frau or not.

no way to make a direct claim at all!

Comment

Great period pic!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X