This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Erich,

As I mentioned below, I classify these pieces as Dessert Service.

Br. James

Comment

It's been a long time, but usually dessert service pieces consist of a spoon and fork or a spoon only (depending on the dessert to be served). There is no knife as part of the dessert silver. It could be a butter knife.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

I suppose it could be an individual butter spreader; the typical master butter knife has a very different shaped blade. According to various Internet sites, there is such a thing as a dessert knife, as well as fork and spoon...whether the AH Informal Service included those implements is another question. I guess the spoon shown by Brent could be a demitasse spoon -- it's smaller than the Informal Pattern spoons I have in my collection, and the fork I believe to be a dessert fork. As I said, I have one, too, and the one I have was sold to me as a AH "Dessert Fork."

One day someone may find an invoice or packing slip that itemizes each and every implement that was created bearing the AH monogram, including dimensions. God willing that will be SOON!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
          I wonder what these mini-silverware pieces were made for--a demitasse doesn't require a knife or fork. I wonder if these were for visiting children to use?
          Erich
          All I know is that I would get frustrated eating with those small utensils

Nice pieces though
          https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Alright Gentleman (and may I use that term loosely), Experts please chime in. What type of knifes are these. Pic 1 - This knife is 8" long. I know it's not a fish knife, is this a cheese knife? Pic 2 - Fruit knife?

Thanks!!
            Attached Files

Comment

I believe Pic 1 is of a Master Butter Knife; Pic 2 may be of a Fruit Knife, though it doesn't appear to match any modern designs now available. I have never seen a knife like Pic 2 among any table-setting I've ever used!

Br. James

Comment

Thanks Br. James! If anyone else wants to chime in, please do.

Comment

AH Flatware

the large AH knife is a fish serving knife and quite rare compared to the more common fish knives.. the serrated knife is a tomato knife.. Mark Griffith

Comment

Here are a couple of serving pieces I have. One is the large (22cm) meat fork but the other (20cm) I'm not sure of. Master butter? Cheese knife?
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's a butter knife. If the fork is a salad serving fork. Nice and rare pieces. Check out my site (below link), you'll see a potpourri of AH flatware.
                      Last edited by Berghof; 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Berghof View Post
                        That's a butter knife. If the fork is a salad serving fork. Nice and rare pieces. Check out my site (below link), you'll see a potpourri of AH flatware.
                        Thanks. These are from a large grouping I bought decades ago. I auctioned off most of it (coffee and tea set, tablecloth and napkins, trays, etc) at Hermann's (it may have been Graf Klenau at the time). They originally came with the GI's photo album showing the ruins of the Berghof as well as hometown newspaper clippings about him and his souvenir hoard. He was with an armored car unit.

i still have a few odd pieces. I may have posted this oval tray before, but I've never seen another. I believe it is a bread tray.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by paulj; 07-27-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Reverse. And a Sauciere...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great story Paulj! And nice pieces! That's a unique tray. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Berghof View Post
                              Great story Paulj! And nice pieces! That's a unique tray. Thanks for sharing.
                              Just for info, the tray is approximately 11 x 8 1/4"

Comment

I certainly agree! Any time we can get a more detailed idea of individual pieces, the better it is for our collections.

Many thanks,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X