X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Military View Post
    Erich, thanks for sharing.
    Was the photo from a magazine or a document somewhere?
    I don't know, I found it while surfing the net. It's unusual because you often don't see photos of the damaged FHH.

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to post but i'll try. I'm going to Germany in a few moths, closer to the summer. And i was thinking about including München to se the the FHH, is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by rudolf souval View Post
        Not sure if this is the right place to post but i'll try. I'm going to Germany in a few moths, closer to the summer. And i was thinking about including München to se the the FHH, is it worth it?
        One word..... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
          I don't know, I found it while surfing the net. It's unusual because you often don't see photos of the damaged FHH.
          Erich,

Awesome photo! And yes, one rarely ever sees damaged shots of the FHH.

It's amazing that - considering how "holy" and significant the FHH was to the NSDAP - it escaped relatively unscathed. I wonder if the building directly behind it was brought down intentionally, post war, as it's completely razed to the ground yet the FHH has almost no significant damage. I'd imagine that if a bomb hit brought that building down, it'd have done a bit more damage to the monument.

Here's a photo that Greg Walden's father took... You can clearly see the same damage to the rear left (our right) corner. It's funny, but I think this is the first time I have seen a "post war" photo of the FHH 'without' a bicycle parked in front of it

Greg, hope you don't mind me posting it. If so, just let me know and I'll have it removed.

Rob
          Attached Files

Comment

I've been to Munich almost a dozen times now and it is one of my favorite cities in the world. I would "HIGHLY" recommend giving yourself a few days there to explore and enjoy

Rob

Comment

not sure if this is the right place to post but i'll try. I'm going to germany in a few moths, closer to the summer. And i was thinking about including münchen to se the the fhh, is it worth it?

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish
                Gotta agree Rob

Thank you, Jon.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson
                  Just please, please don't take any pieces of the Feldherrnhalle

Post 16: http://70.87.163.50/forums/showthrea...rnhalle+munich

Rob

Thank you Rob, Eujin and Erich!!!

Then i will include München, i wasn't sure but now i am

Rob, no i will not! I will save the room in my suitcase for visiting Helmut Weitze and Hermann Historica

Jon-Olav

Comment

Munich and Berlin are the two places that you will want to visit if you have a short period of time.
                    Have a good trip Jon!

Comment

Rob, follow this thread.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=brick&page=3

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=brick

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
                        Munich and Berlin are the two places that you will want to visit if you have a short period of time.
                        Have a good trip Jon!
                        Thank you again Eujin, and thank you Jon!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
                          Erich,

Awesome photo! And yes, one rarely ever sees damaged shots of the FHH.

It's amazing that - considering how "holy" and significant the FHH was to the NSDAP - it escaped relatively unscathed. I wonder if the building directly behind it was brought down intentionally, post war, as it's completely razed to the ground yet the FHH has almost no significant damage. I'd imagine that if a bomb hit brought that building down, it'd have done a bit more damage to the monument.

Here's a photo that Greg Walden's father took... You can clearly see the same damage to the rear left (our right) corner. It's funny, but I think this is the first time I have seen a "post war" photo of the FHH 'without' a bicycle parked in front of it

Greg, hope you don't mind me posting it. If so, just let me know and I'll have it removed.

Rob
                          Great Photo Rob, the Mahnmal and Ehrentempels were not damaged at all. All the damage seems to be on the west side of the FHH.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                            Great Photo Rob, the Mahnmal and Ehrentempels were not damaged at all. All the damage seems to be on the west side of the FHH.
                            Yup... Next time I am there (which should be soon, hopefully) I'll have a good, close look around and see if there are any traces of a large bomb impact right in that area behind the FHH. I'd imagine that the buildings - even if erected with a period look and style - would show signs of being put up after 1945. In some areas of the city (not so much down town but a bit further out) you can walk around and literally follow a few bombing paths and the trail of destruction by studying the newly erected (and repaired original) structures. It's really crazy!

Rob

Comment

Here's my favorite card in my collection showing Grimminger the BF and FHH.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great Card Erich!!

Never seen it before, in fact i've never seen Grimminger drawn or painted before

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X