Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this last week in a mis-matched album. Collecting flame torch bases after an event at the FHH ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
      Found this last week in a mis-matched album. Collecting flame torch bases after an event at the FHH ?
      Looking at the banner it was the anniversary march of the Putsch.

Comment

Spot on Erich
        There are a few more pics in the album but the photographer didn't get a good spot and you can hardly see anything apart from the back of the crowd and this clear up pic

Comment

Neat photo!
          I didn't realize the flag was black--at least according to the caption.
          I would say they're either torches or there was a massive failure of the local plumbing.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Yes that is interesting Erich,maybe in rememberance to the martyrs?

Comment

Most certainly that would be the reason and I believe the runes on the banner are called 'Opferrunen' meaning runes of sacrifice.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
                Most certainly that would be the reason and I believe the runes on the banner are called 'Opferrunen' meaning runes of sacrifice.
                Erich
                Yes, that is correct!

Comment

Hello all,
                  The correct translation for "Opferrunen" is Runes of the Victims, not sacrifice.
                  About two months ago I was visiting München and I went to visit the Feldherrnhalle again, lots of emotions, never fails. This time I could see some people making a "salute" to this beautiful monument.
                  Regards,
                  Aylson Doyle

Comment

Hello guys!

Very nice photos!
                    I ve been several times in München but never in some museum (exp. BMW museum) where you can find something from nazi period. Please give me some advice about that!
                    Thank You,
                    Best Regards
                    Mark

Comment

Here we have a large period picture of the FHH on heavy card stock. Keep meaning to get it framed,it will prob never happen so it may be on e-stand later.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo Jon and it looks to have been done before the installation of the Mahnmal.

Comment

Dear Mark,

I'm not sure whether there are any museums in Munich that have artifact displays from the NS period -- I didn't visit any when I was there -- but the buildings themselves in the city tell a wonderful story of the period. You can still visit the Feldherrnhalle, Königsplatz (Führerbau, Party Admin Building and the foundations of the Temples of Honor), the House of (German) Art, Hitler's apartment building on the Prinzregentensplatz where Geli Raubal was found dead, the House of German Law and the RZM headquarters building -- though they are all renamed now. Try and pick up a street map of Munich from the late 1930s and compare it with one from the present day; I think you'll find a worthwhile tour there of your own making. For example, you can start where the Bürgerbraükeller once stood and walk with Hitler, Göring and Lüdendorff over the entire course of the Beer Hall Putsch march, and/or you can start at the Löuenbraükeller and walk with Ernst Röhm as he and his SA soldiers went to occupy the Bavarian War Ministry building on November 8, 1923. Ending up at the Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz (and you can visit the royal Residence of the Kings of Bavaria just across the street), which takes about half an hour, you can then walk the short route taken by the coffins of the sixteen "Putsch martyrs" as they were carried from the Feldherrnhalle, past the Brown House (demolished after WWII and now only exists as a lawn as you approach the King's Plaza) to the Temples of Honor where the ceremony of entombment took place. There's plenty to see and do in Munich, if you have a good map and the perseverance to appreciate where you are and what was originally there! Have a great time...I did!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by A.Doyle View Post
                            Hello all,
                            The correct translation for "Opferrunen" is Runes of the Victims, not sacrifice.
                            About two months ago I was visiting München and I went to visit the Feldherrnhalle again, lots of emotions, never fails. This time I could see some people making a "salute" to this beautiful monument.
                            Regards,
                            Aylson Doyle
                            I would stand by the Opferrune meaning sacrifice but it should be clarified as 'self sacrifice'. In this sense : all martyrs are killed because of their beliefs (self sacrifice) = all martyrs can be considered victims, but not all victims are martyrs.
                            Erich
                            Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
                              I would stand by the Opferrune meaning sacrifice but it should be clarified as 'self sacrifice'. In this sense : all martyrs are killed because of their beliefs (self sacrifice) = all martyrs can be considered victims, but not all victims are martyrs.
                              Erich
                              I cannot agree, I´m sorry. When you say "Runes of Sacrifice" sounds just like some ancient sacrifice ritual and not a symbol to pay the nescessary tribute to heroes or martyrs, killed because of their beliefs.
                              Aylson Doyle.

Comment

As I understand it, "Opferrunen" is accurately translated into English by both "Runes of Sacrifice" and "Runes of the Victims." Like most phrases originating in other languages, this one comes with a sense of the period and the event, and the event in question is the Beer Hall Putsch and it's aftermath. The NSDAP always saw the fallen participants of that march in terms of martyrs to the cause -- those who were willing to give their lives for their beliefs -- and they were likewise seen as victims for their political faith. The German word "Opfer" means "offering" which carries the sense of freely giving (such as contributions to the WHW were spoken of as 'offerings') and so the banner conceived for symbolizing the annual March to the Feldherrnhalle on 9 November contained within its design the runic symbol intended to represent the memorial to the "sacred" victims who sacrificed themselves for the triumph of the NSDAP.

Like Erich, I also didn't know that the banner's field was black, though that too would carry forward the symbolic theme of mourning and remembrance. Thanks for that info!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X