This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional information. Do you know the names engraved on the reverses of the other three badges you mentioned?

Also, since this design apparently preceded the standard Blood Order design we are all familiar with, which dated from early 1934, do you believe that this design was intended to be presented by Hitler personally, since it bears his signature? I assume that the standard BOs were distributed through the Office of 8/9 November 1923 and were not normally presented by Hitler personally.

Br. James

Comment

I think someone did some digging on those and yes, they were presented by Hitler personally if memory serves. We have the three as mentioned in this thread but there are also two more in collections- one as awarded to Pg. Maurice which I believe resides in B.Coleman's repository of treasures and the fifth name escapes me at the moment...it will come back soon hopefully.

cheers
      Matt

Comment

The one Bob Coleman has is indeed from Emil Maurice.

I just spend an hour going through some old Militaria magazines and refound the one i remembered, it is the one from Emil Maurice indeed. The reverse is shown too and there is an interesting little characteristic. As Bob didn't post the reverse of his i want to honour that choice though.

Comment

The verso of Maurice's pin has been posted before: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders...-badge-343006/

cheers
          Matt

Comment

Thanks for that link, i don't check that forum much and didn't know of the thread.

Im not sure if the purpose and number that Patzwall list as recipients is known already too? At least not in this thread i think?

Comment

While discussing these a bit more with Matthew over pm i think i made a discovery that will make everyone look 100 times more carefully at these very rare awards if ever one comes along.

Look at the reverses and check the differences -> the 990 stamp is interesting!!!!!!!!!!!

Right: Bob Coleman purchased from the family, left: credited to Weitze.
              Attached Files

Comment

boom

Good job Gaston!! Do you have the front of it as well?

Funny thing- they both match as far as the dings and scratches as well. Hmmm..

To Br.James- the fifth name that escaped me previously was that of Hitler- his own badge has been sold through HH some time back
                Last edited by Matthew; 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Yes, of course. And yes i noticed the scratches and small damages as well, very strange! I even thought of purposely altered photoshopping to not make the fakers aware, but was this possible in late 200/early 2001? Im not so sure?

This was by the way published in the Militaria magazine, Volume 2, February 2001, Number 1, by Publishing House Klaus D. Patzwall.
                  Attached Files

Comment

None of these will ever be for my collection.

Comment

Why not, Jon? I thought you collect Blood Orders?

Mil

Comment

I would gladly have the Maurice piece that Bob Coleman owns.

Bob Hritz
                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
                          Why not, Jon? I thought you collect Blood Orders?

Mil
                          Each to their own Mil. I collect first and second pattern Blood Orders.

Comment

Fair play Jon. I would also stick to a textbook first pattern, similar to Coburger Abzeichens.

Mil

Comment

Thanks very much for the follow-up, Matt. Isn't it just a bit odd that Hitler would award himself such a badge, bearing his own signature?! Certainly odder than Hitler wearing a GPB bearing his own NSDAP Membership Number...though without the personalization of his own signature!

Also odd is seen in Gaston's note #111: two different examples of this badge, both awarded to Emil Maurice...one wonders why he would have been awarded TWO examples of this badge, especially since neither of them was permitted to ever be worn (per Bob Coleman's note linked via the War Relics Forum)! Such a strange hobby we have here!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                                Thanks very much for the follow-up, Matt. Isn't it just a bit odd that Hitler would award himself such a badge, bearing his own signature?! Certainly odder than Hitler wearing a GPB bearing his own NSDAP Membership Number...though without the personalization of his own signature!

Also odd is seen in Gaston's note #111: two different examples of this badge, both awarded to Emil Maurice...one wonders why he would have been awarded TWO examples of this badge, especially since neither of them was permitted to ever be worn (per Bob Coleman's note linked via the War Relics Forum)! Such a strange hobby we have here!

Br. James
                                I hear you re: Hitler's own badge. Perhaps it was thought of more in the terms of a keepsake rather than an actual decoration? Just a speculation on my part of course...
                                As for Maurice's specimen(s)- I still think and hope that the pic as posted by Gaston has been manipulated to protect against some of the more enterprising individuals (by moving the 990 mark) rather than showing us another Maurice badge. I have been staring at those versos for a long time but somehow think that I am looking at the exact same piece.
                                Strange is an understatement for sure!
                                cheers

Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X