X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chit

Mike.

I screwed up again and I apologize.
    I may have posted this here before, but my wife has been out in Arizona for amost three months waiting for the passing of her father, which took place about three weeks ago. I have thus been left with taking care of our business, our rather large house and two cats, one dog and two fish ponds full of Koi and goldfish plus our swimming pool.

Now, I am preparing to recieve within one week, not only my long gone wife but also my 84 year old invalid mother in law and my permanently disabled 55 year old sister in law, but also a "biggest they got" U-Haul truck which will be towing a "biggest they got" trailer which will be followed by my brother in law's Toyota pickup driven by my brother in law's wife.

I have been running all over Atlanta these last weeks purchasing such things as toilets for disabled people, shower fixtures for the same, special beds, an electric chair lift to get my mother in law from the the garage up to the kitchen and so on. Not to mention air conditioning my wife's former art studio out by the swimming pool to convert the area into a bedroom suite for my sister in law.

So, forgive me if I continue to make some ID mistakes.

The first truck is in fact a Dodge and I think I got the model right.
    The second and probably the third are Chevrolet trucks, still in my opinion, French.

When I have a chance to blow up the photo, I will probably ID at least the next vehicle as a Renault but my eyes are too tired tonight at 2304 hours.

Stay with me, my friend, when I am in top shape I am farly accurate. These last 2/3 months have been rather taxing and I am sorry for the mistakes.

And, in any case, keep posting the photos. Even if my ID skills are just now lacking, I do save the photos for future investigation
    Cheers
    Bill

Comment

Bill, Man do you have a load on your shoulders! Hang in there my Friend and don't ever think I expect perfection! I enjoy collecting snapshots of history and love the vehicle aspect, I have been restoring and repairing cars and trucks ever since I was in High school. I do love to know what the photos I own show but my main joy is sharing what I do have. It wouldn't be enjoyable if I kept them all hidden away in albums... I really do appreciate the effort you put into helping me gain more knowledge about the photos I have.
      So rest them eyes and hopefully the new house guests get acclimated as smoothley as possible..
      I will continue to share what I have and take care Bill! Mike

Comment

Bill here is one of my first vehicle photos. It is on the eastern front late 42 or early 43 at the earliest.. I think this one was ID'd as a Citeron but I am not sure since I lost my notes on this photo... Enjoy! Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

Mike:

Thanks for another really nice photo. Your car is a Peugot 402 of mid to late 1930's and a very large amount of those cars found their way into the fleet of the German Forces on all fronts throughout the war. As a matter of interest, I see these on Ebay France from time to time and good examples command a price of from 5 to 10 thousand dollars today.
          Bill

Comment

Sounds about right Bill as I have more of these cars than any other in my collection.... Must be sturdy cars to have survived the wehrmacht, the russian front, etc....

thanks again! have a great nite...Mike
            Originally posted by Bill Murray
            Mike:

Thanks for another really nice photo. Your car is a Peugot 402 of mid to late 1930's and a very large amount of those cars found their way into the fleet of the German Forces on all fronts throughout the war. As a matter of interest, I see these on Ebay France from time to time and good examples command a price of from 5 to 10 thousand dollars today.
            Bill

Comment

Mike:

Since you are also into vehicle/unit markings, what do you make of the plate on your photo "Strassenbau xxx"? I do not recall having seen such an extra plate on any of the photos that I have. My German is very imperfect but I think Strassenbau literally translates to road work, road repair or something close to that. My meager resources on German markings do not include that phrase but even so I would think it would normally have been painted on the vehicle as wer most other tactical markings. Or, perhaps your vehicle was confiscated and given over to a non military or para military organization.

Always such mysteries to be solved. Your friend "The Inspector".
              Bill

Comment

Bill, A very good question and you are right about it referring to road construction. That was the question that was researched a bit when I first posted this about a year and a half ago... The consensus was there were no references to a road construction unit 168... so maybe it was a small unit not readily mentioned... The search is still on that one. I have it filed in my unsolved mystery file...lol

Mike:

Since you are also into vehicle/unit markings, what do you make of the plate on your photo "Strassenbau xxx"? I do not recall having seen such an extra plate on any of the photos that I have. My German is very imperfect but I think Strassenbau literally translates to road work, road repair or something close to that. My meager resources on German markings do not include that phrase but even so I would think it would normally have been painted on the vehicle as wer most other tactical markings. Or, perhaps your vehicle was confiscated and given over to a non military or para military organization.

Always such mysteries to be solved. Your friend "The Inspector".
                Bill

Comment

Aha:

Well, I have been refining my Google search advanced routines so maybe I will come up with something.

Speaking of which, I did a Google on "Charlie Don't Surf" just for fun.
                  Interesting lyrics. Having lived in China, the US, Sweden, Peru and Canada as well as having travelled extinsively to I can't remember how many third world countries, I know how nasty the world really is. Just have to keep it in perspective amigo.
                  Bill

Comment

Hmmm, I think you are referring to the Clash's "charlie don't surf"? I remeber that song from years ago. If I remeber wasn't it about the sandinistas? I can Remember they were a little political in the early 80's. I will have to refresh myself..
                    Naw my qoute refers to a more mundane item. Col. Kilgore from "Apocolypse Now"...

I sure have missed some livin stayin in Indiana.... Never was one for the military. New I would get my a@@ ripped by a DI becuase I wouldn't fit into that military mindset... The choices one makes...
                    Mike
                    Aha:

Well, I have been refining my Google search advanced routines so maybe I will come up with something.

Speaking of which, I did a Google on "Charlie Don't Surf" just for fun.
                    Interesting lyrics. Having lived in China, the US, Sweden, Peru and Canada as well as having travelled extinsively to I can't remember how many third world countries, I know how nasty the world really is. Just have to keep it in perspective amigo.
                    Bill

Comment

Mike, Mike, Mike:

I really need to get my wife home again so I can get sane. Even if that means my Mother in Law and my Sister in Law are coming as well.

My first, and gut reaction, to thinking about your sig line was "Apocolypse Now"
                      But, since I have been having so many brain farts of late, I Googled it and, of course guess what up came up, iddywaw posts on the song from the group "Clash". Since that was close to a military type's potential view on the current world situation, I put what I thought was the round peg into the round hole.
                      Wrong, square peg into an oblong hole.
                      I really do need to go to bed now but will pick a totally random photo to post here just to keep in the game.

An MB, possibly a 320, leave the ID to Hans, in Estonia 1940 or so
                      Attached Files

Comment

LOL they truley are our anchors aren't they? Even with the mother inlaw..... ... just kidding...

I pulled up the lyrics as well and very political! I just wish I was that deep to have thought of that meaning...lol Have a great one Bill

Mike
                        Mike, Mike, Mike:

I really need to get my wife home again so I can get sane. Even if that means my Mother in Law and my Sister in Law are coming as well.

My first, and gut reaction, to thinking about your sig line was "Apocolypse Now"
                        But, since I have been having so many brain farts of late, I Googled it and, of course guess what up came up, iddywaw posts on the song from the group "Clash". Since that was close to a military type's potential view on the current world situation, I put what I thought was the round peg into the round hole.
                        Wrong, square peg into an oblong hole.
                        I really do need to go to bed now but will pick a totally random photo to post here just to keep in the game.

An MB, possibly a 320, leave the ID to Hans, in Estonia 1940 or so

Comment

Mercedes-Benz

Hi Bill , thank you for this very nice photo from the Estonia Mercedes-Benz, it is not a 320 but a Mercedes-Benz 200 Lang Cabriolet B ( W 21 ) built from Sept. 1934 till Oct. 1936, the new price was in 1935; 6990.- Reichs Mark.

Hans

An MB, possibly a 320, leave the ID to Hans, in Estonia 1940 or so[/QUOTE]

Comment

Automobil

Hi Bill , this is one for you mate, I think it is not a Mercedes-Benz but a Horch!

Hans
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bill,

Here is a photo of three impressed civilian cars. Not sure what they are. I think the bottom one may be from the Wanderer series and the middle one an Opel. I cannot identify the top one.

Best regards,
                              Larrister
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's another nice one of what I think is a 3.0 litre Wanderer W 11 Kubelwagen.

Larrister
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X