Colorizing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
    Hi photo guru's ! I have recently purchased this Gold party badge document...http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...35#post4838935

Unfortunatly the photographs are badly water damaged Its recent damage and I'm concerned it may have not finished deteriating. Currently I have them stored in a tub with silica in to make sure they are 100% dried out. Would anyone on here be willing and able to have a go at restoring the image on a couple of these for me please? The one with the dagger and wearing his GPB is my favourite!
    As per Jon's email to do so, I am sharing one of my attempts with you. I know it isn't really good, but I was working with the photo you saw and a lot was missing. I didn't even know what the building was supposed to look like......never heard of the Justizpalast in Munich.....I was stationed in Bad Kreuznach, and I have never had any training on Photoshop CS5......I learned what I have learned "by ear".....trial and error.

I have to take my son to the dentist now.

Ron

Comment

Nicely done Ron.

Here's my restoration.

Larry
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Larrister; 09-07-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I forgot to replace the button above the GPB.

Ron

Comment

I also took a shot at this one, but went a little bit different.......maybe some day i will get some training if I have the time, and can do a better job.

Ron

Comment

MAN! Larry and Ron, VERY nice work! To be honest, I had my doubts that anyone would be able to do a decent restoration on any of these! You both have done a great job. Congrats on restoring History!
            Do I sense a new part-time job in your futures? haha

Comment

Oh wow thanks to Ron and Larry !
              Due to your time and efforts a slice of history can now be preserved no matter if the photos degenerate further. I have them in a container with silica to dry out 100% so hopefully nothing further will happen but the damage might continue I just don't know.
              I'll save these pics to memory stick and get some prints made, thank you gentlemen it is very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
                MAN! Larry and Ron, VERY nice work! To be honest, I had my doubts that anyone would be able to do a decent restoration on any of these! You both have done a great job. Congrats on restoring History!
                Do I sense a new part-time job in your futures? haha
                For my part, thanks.......you are too kind to me. As for me.......no part-time job doing this in my future..........maybe for Larry. He is much more talented than me, and obviously knows much more about it. I just learned what little I know by trial and error, or, as I often tell people, I learned "by ear" (for those who don't understand that term in my area that is someone who learned to play a musical instrument by just hearing the sound and finding a sound on the instrument that sounded the same not being able to read music.......my grandfather learned to play many instuments that way......anything with strings). Although I have colorized a few photos, and made a few minor repairs, this was the first time I ever tried to do what I would consider a major repair to one, and it took me about 4-5 hours.....couldn't make much money at that. Nobody had answered Jon......I thought, so I took a shot at it.

Thanks Jon. It feels good when one appreciates your efforts......even if the result isn't all that good.

Ron

Comment

Hi Jon,

My pleasure to repair your photo.

Ron is too modest, he has done a fine job of repairing the photo.
                  I too taught myself to color and repair photos. My initial attempts were
                  quite bad but over time I experimented and gradually got better.

I would like to make a living from this but the time it takes to color and repair photos
                  just wouldn't make it feasible.

I still color photos for a small fee if anyone's interested.

Larry

Comment

Now you guys have done it........you praised me. I think I have posted a couple of these before, but I don't remember which ones. I was always sure they were not very good, but now I have been encouraged by the praise and am willing to risk ridicule and correction.

I looked through the approximately 200 I have tried to colorize, and found a few I will show you.....some of the rest maybe, and some .

I don't like bad news........but hit me with the cold hard truth. I may not do it, but what suggestions do you have for improvement?

Some are mine, and others that I just found on line and downloaded to practice colorizing. There is no particular progression to these, nor do I remember the time period I did them.......strokes work wonders for forgetting some things!! If any of them are yours and you would like a color copy feel free to copy it.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

I remember a couple of those photos. It's really hard to criticise someone else's colorizations, especially when they are as good as yours.

One suggestion would to mute the insignia colors a little more. The uniform, insignia, face etc. colors should all blend in and one color should not stand out too much.

I also have found that a colorization will come to life with a little more
                      contrast added, especially if the photo has a milky look to it.

Here's your Gebirgsjager officer portrait (yours on the left) with a couple of minor alterations to the one at right. I added a little more contrast and
                      toned down the collar and shoulder tabs colors.

You have pretty well mastered skin tones which are the hardest to do.
                      I add cheek colors and make the lips more prominent with a little more color.

Cheers,
                      Larry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Work !

Comment

SUPERB craftmanship, Larrister!!

Comment

whose the general and kc holder?

Comment

whose the general and kc holder?
                              thats Badinski

regards,
                              Matteus

Comment

Nice

Yeah, great work guys Enjoying seeing these pics.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X