Colorizing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmark View Post
    I thought everyone would like to see that great work that Larrister did for me. Here are the before and after shots.

Jason
    This is AMAZING

How are these pics colorized??Is there any way to determine the original colours?? I been watching the series "WW II in Color" and all the Panzers are Olive Drab which is wrong.....
    Last edited by Luis22; 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

this is the first one Ive done in a long time. Using Photoshop cs5 and dont like it that much.
      Attached Files

Comment

Super work, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Helden View Post
          Some excellent examples on here lately.

Larrister - Post 1013 is pretty much perfect !!

Can I ask how long did that take ?
          Thanks Guys.

Helden,

The photo took 3-4 days to color. A lot of time is spent researching uniform, medal, vehicle etc. colors and I try to make them as realistic as possible. Skin colors are the hardest to do. I try to make my colorizations
          look as if the color photo was taken yesterday.

Cheers,
          Larry

Comment

I agree Larry, skin colors are definitely tough to get correct. They differ from photo to photo, so you cant use the same old color for every person!

Here is another photo from my collection. Still learning how to utilize the tools
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bill,

You are correct. Each person's complexion is different.
              take the wedding picture above. The bride's face is a different color to the groom's.

She would be wearing a little makeup, her complexion a little paler from being inddors more than the groom. Women tend to have slightly paler complexions anyway.

The groom being a soldier would spend a lot of time outdoors so his complexion would be redder or darker. These little differences are important when doing an accurate colorization.

The colors in your first portrait are basically correct. All it needs is more contrast, a little more color saturation.

Play around with the tools to get a better picture.
              I have added some contrast, a little more saturation and some subtle lip color to your colorization and a whole new picture has emerged.

Cheers,
              Larry
              Attached Files

Comment

The final is always pending from the photo quality
                high photo quality = high isuue
                Last edited by imi; 08-22-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Wehrmacht Captain reading a document in south Soviet Union

Comment

Another small project finished.

Larry
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi photo guru's ! I have recently purchased this Gold party badge document...http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...35#post4838935

Unfortunatly the photographs are badly water damaged Its recent damage and I'm concerned it may have not finished deteriating. Currently I have them stored in a tub with silica in to make sure they are 100% dried out. Would anyone on here be willing and able to have a go at restoring the image on a couple of these for me please? The one with the dagger and wearing his GPB is my favourite!
                      Attached Files

Comment

And finally here he is with his comrades...
                        Attached Files

Comment

XXwrong postXX
                          Last edited by 12thPanzer; 09-05-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrister View Post
                            Hi Bill,

You are correct. Each person's complexion is different.
                            take the wedding picture above. The bride's face is a different color to the groom's.

She would be wearing a little makeup, her complexion a little paler from being inddors more than the groom. Women tend to have slightly paler complexions anyway.

The groom being a soldier would spend a lot of time outdoors so his complexion would be redder or darker. These little differences are important when doing an accurate colorization.

The colors in your first portrait are basically correct. All it needs is more contrast, a little more color saturation.

Play around with the tools to get a better picture.
                            I have added some contrast, a little more saturation and some subtle lip color to your colorization and a whole new picture has emerged.

Cheers,
                            Larry
                            AWESOME Larry!! I do see where I need "practice", haha! I appreciate the tips, and need ANY help I can get.
                            QUESTIONS: #1.: What do you guys suggest for Portrait Backgrounds?? Should I use color for backgrounds, or just leave it the way it is?

#2.: What are the main tools you guys use while doing your photos? I think this is where some of my problems are. (like do you guys use different Brush tips/ fading tools etc etc?? I literally just use the lasso, color it, and then mess with the "opacity". Suggestions?

Thank you for the time on the photo too Larry!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                              Hi photo guru's ! I have recently purchased this Gold party badge document...http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...35#post4838935

Unfortunatly the photographs are badly water damaged Its recent damage and I'm concerned it may have not finished deteriating. Currently I have them stored in a tub with silica in to make sure they are 100% dried out. Would anyone on here be willing and able to have a go at restoring the image on a couple of these for me please? The one with the dagger and wearing his GPB is my favourite!
                              I will have a go at restoring a couple of photos but I need high resolution scans of them before I could start.

Cheers,
                              Larry

Comment

Thats the Justizpalast in Munich.
                                Nice photo.

Cheers,
                                Philipp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X