[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I think this was in russia
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post

It would be great if we can add faces to the grave like this one, whenever possible so that we can remember him.

Your idea is appreciated, 12thPanzer, I will attach another photo of him with 7. Kompanie flag in return.

This is spectacular, and I whole -heartedly agree with your sentiments. These were people, and it is sometimes hard for collectors to remember this when seeing "a shot of a panzer beret on a grave" and not thinking that this man had people who loved him, even with a crazy war going on when death was frequent. Excellent image, and the flag is just great. Best photo I have seen of him yet. Thanks again for your time/post.

Comment

FRiedho­f

http://photo.qip.ru/users/nickanorus/4184777/?page=1

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I have this color slide which I believe show the graves of 2 Knight's Cross winners. I say that because the crosses are more distinctive than the others surrounding them. The upper image shows the whole scene. The lower image shows a close-up view.
                  The one behind is for a "Hans Krüger" and I did find a recipient with this name who was a major in the 321. InfDiv. The problem is I can't find out any more about him to know if he was killed in combat which then would confirm or refute what is seen in the slide.
                  The foremost grave shows the resting place of a soldier for whom I can't make his complete name. I can only see a first name of "Heinz" (Heinrich) then the ending of his last name - "heimer" I can also read a rank which appears to be "San Oberfeldwebel" which I believe refers to a senior medic or Sanitätsunteroffizier. There is also a Feldpostnummer on the cross that seems to indicate "00699" which was attributed to the XXVI. Armeekorps. I can't find much information about medics who received the Knight's Cross other than one individual whose name was "Schmitz". There may have been others but I can't find details about them.
                  With the help of people more knowledgeable than me, I would like to know if this slide shows the graves of 2 Knight's Cross winners.
                  Thanks in advance.

Dave (seekwhence)

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

can anyone tell me why silver birch trees are commonly used as crosses on german graves,

Comment

Somewhere I heard birch helps spirits cross into the spirit world , and also the spirits of the dead live in the birch tree...the mythology is not limited to Germany, but other country's in Europe....and other country's ....that's about all I know, but someone may have more to add...typically crosses on German graves were made of birch...and what I wonder is what happened to all the birch crosses left on the graves in Russia after the Germans were defeated and fled . I suspect they were burned to heat houses, but if so, it's too bad because the Russians could have sold them after the war, and made a fortune from collectors. I see why they didn't after what the troops did to their world....but in hind sight , there was lots of things that could have been sold they captured and if not for the Cold War, could have made a killing literally from things at the time they felt was nothing more than rubbish.

Comment

# 1173

Georg Gah ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Fort-de-Malmaison.

Endgrablage: Block 2 Reihe 20 Grab 1730

Nachname: Gah
                          Vorname: Georg
                          Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
                          Geburtsdatum: 11.05.1914
                          Geburtsort: Leitershofen
                          Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 05.06.1940
                          Todes-/Vermisstenort: Crecy-au-Mont

Gerdan

Comment

Josef ???, Willi Grüner, Ferdinand Fier, Ewald Steinmetz, Hans Johne, Herbert Klengler, far right name obscured by branches.

All from 3./Pi 29 (mot)

Any info on these men?
                            Attached Files

Comment

3 Comrades from Infantry Regiment 59. Fell on 11 September 1939.

Gefreiter Neunaber
                              Schütze Jasper
                              Schütze Kryschak

Any info on these 3 men?
                              Attached Files

Comment

# 1178

I found this in the Volksbund list:

Walter Neunaber

Walter Neunaber cemetery :Pulawy, Poland

Endgrablage: Block 3 Reihe 3 Grab 11

Nachname: Neunaber
                                Vorname: Walter
                                Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
                                Geburtsdatum: 15.06.1915
                                Geburtsort: Hildesheim
                                Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 12.09.1939
                                Todes-/Vermisstenort: Zyrardon

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X