No announcement yet.

post your Graves photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrian, Sorry, these are all contact prints and do not have any writing on reverse.
    Thanks for your good feedback!

Mike
    Originally posted by Adrian View Post
    Nice photos Mike,
    Do you have any specifics of where the burial took place? Any village names for example?

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN JONES View Post
      Neat picture AB.
      Thanks for posting.....

For German purposes, what did the penal Units do ?
      Not on a par with Russian mineclearing squads, IE: marching over them.

But was it hazardous duties? or dangerous combat missions. ?

CHEERS.
      John.
      Hi John. My understanding is that the Penal Batl. were cannon fodder for the Army. I.E. they were sent to the most dangerous and/or unwinnerable fronts of the war. Seeing that they all spent time in the Wehrmachtgefangnis or Amry prison they were looked upon as disposable. I really don't know much at all about Batl.550 and have never seen or read anything about them. Its one of those units that no one seems to know anything about. I only found out about him myself just 12 months ago and wrote away to the Deutsche Dienstelle in Berlin and they sent me back 4 pages about his movements during the war, up till and including his death including how he was killed. Gunshot wounds to the stomach. Its amazing that after all these years they still have the records of a lowest raked soldier. Time I did some research into it.
      Regards,
      AB.
      In memory of my Uncle,
      Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
      2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
      Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gaynor View Post
        Hi Andrew, just curious was your Uncles body ever repatriated to Germany for a proper burial, or is it still somewhere in Russia
        Thanks,
        Bill
        Hi Bill. I'm not sure but I think his is still buried in Russia. According to the information I got back from the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin, on the 7.Nov.1942 he was attached to an ArmyGroup in middle Russia, station at Witedsk,Welish. He was killed on the same date in the town of Werch, Krasnoje. The last page makes some mention of where to write to for further information but, what info I don't know. Its all in German and I can't read it well enough to make any headway. I will get it translated and find out where he might be now. If you can read German, I'm happy to post the letter on the forum if your interested but I will do it in the morning.
        Regards,
        AB.
        In memory of my Uncle,

Comment

Thanks Andrew,
          No doubt the Army prisons were no fun.
          And the chance was given to redeem oneself..

Whatever you might say about Germany in that period, the record keeping
          was the height of organisation, and so much remains right down to soldat
          level.........

Best of luck with your research ....

John.

Comment

Hi,

Two pics, one showing the funeral procession and the other the grave of Leutnant Friedrich Bloche of Pz. Regiment 4 who died from an ilness on 20 July 1938.

Cheers,

Larry
            Attached Files

Comment

Tributes on sashes from Reichsbund der Deutschen...?
              Uffz - Korps 3 / AA 5
              Offizierkorps der Wehrkreis Stuttgart I plus others.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andrewb View Post
                Hi Bill. I'm not sure but I think his is still buried in Russia. According to the information I got back from the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin, on the 7.Nov.1942 he was attached to an ArmyGroup in middle Russia, station at Witedsk,Welish. He was killed on the same date in the town of Werch, Krasnoje. The last page makes some mention of where to write to for further information but, what info I don't know. Its all in German and I can't read it well enough to make any headway. I will get it translated and find out where he might be now. If you can read German, I'm happy to post the letter on the forum if your interested but I will do it in the morning.
                Regards,
                AB.
                Hi Andrew,
                Thanks for your response, I'm sorry my German is very weak, but if you ask one of the Moderators they can get you someone who can translate your information. Sounds like a good project to follow through with. You can get all the additional info you don't have yet, and maybe find out where your Uncle is located, and / or get him repatriated back to Germany.
                Good luck and keep us informed on this.
                Take Care,
                Bill

Comment

Thanks to John and Bill for your comments.
                  I will post any updates i get on him.
                  Cheers,
                  AB.
                  In memory of my Uncle,

Comment

Hi,
                    One of a series of photo's I have of the funeral and grave of Major Kurt Creuznacher. A DKiG recipient and one of the first to win the PVA (TDB).

Neil
                    Attached Files

Comment

You don't normally see pictures of soldiers graves in press photos. Here is one from 1944.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Grave 1
                        Attached Files

Comment

Grave 2
                          Attached Files

Comment

thank you all for your contributions!!!

any one else???

Comment

Cheers

Karl
                              Attached Files

Comment

Another.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X