No announcement yet.

M-44 tunics in wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading a few books on the last stages of the war and the use of Hitler Youth troops, especially in the defence of Berlin, I was wondering if the M44 tunic would have ever been issued and badged as HJ?

Comment

M43, thanks Glenn, pic removed
      Last edited by 12thPanzer; 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

That would be an M43 tunic...I would say numbered slides worn upside down.

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
          You gotta love this one...

M44 worn by FHH Oberfeldwebel!
          I loved it so much I bought it, and the one that came with it showing the same soldier wearing a splinter camouflage hood, dated Jan. 1945:
          Attached Files

Comment

Great thread and photo's. I am trying to find out how early the M44 tunic went into service, both Heer and Luftwaffe. Would they have been worn in Normandy at the time of the D Day landings???

Comment

super

Love these photos. Some of them showing soldiers hamming
              it up for the camera. Makes you feel that it wasn't That long ago.

Peto at point

Comment

Originally posted by skot44panzer View Post
                ... I am trying to find out how early the M44 tunic went into service, both Heer and Luftwaffe. Would they have been worn in Normandy at the time of the D Day landings???
                It could be possible I guess, although officially the M44 tunic was issued not sooner then Sept. 1944.

Here is another one in a original 17x23 cm photo I have (I believe this is not a M43 tunic when you see the buttons and their distance and the lack of collar hooks,.. although he does seem to wear a Kragenbinde....?).
                Attached Files

Comment

From last weekends fleamarkets (I wonder what is the story behind this foto... - any ideas?):
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    From last weekends fleamarkets (I wonder what is the story behind this foto... - any ideas?):

Very interesting photo.

Since all the men have the national eagles removed from both the tunics and caps and with the use of the white (?) armband; I would suggest a photo taken somewhere in the summer of '45, ...some kind of security/surveillance group? Also note that they carry no spare ammo (pouches).

PS nice to see the wear of the NCO braid on the collar of the NCO.

F.

Comment

I agree...Post war

I agree...post war security of some kind ?? But post war service of some type for sure. Neat photo ! Tom

Comment

Oct12 - POW Portrait - 1 Depot O.G.P 163 France - Two POW's wearing M44 Jackets.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great photo as usual Bill, man you have a deep collection!
                          Question.... Is the man 2nd from left Heer or Luftwaffe? the reason I ask is if he is Heer he is wearing a rare single button cap? I can't tell on my monitor. I would assume Luftwaffe due to the missing collar tabs.

Nice to see Officers wearing these tunics and also interesting that the two on the left are wearing Dutch clogs

Best Regards!

Kevin
                          Last edited by WEISNER; 10-11-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Kevin,

You could be right that he is Luftwaffe as that would be my guess but it is almost impossible to tell from the photo...I think the one button cap would be the clue. All four are officers but none of them have litzen on their M43 caps. The two Heer Officers are the only ones with National roundels on their caps and rank insignia on their collars. So I assume that the two Officers to their right are Luftwaffe Officers without any insignia. You frequently see sandals or clogs being worn by POW's

All the Best,

Bill

Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
                            Great photo as usual Bill, man you have a deep collection!
                            Question.... Is the man 2nd from left Heer or Luftwaffe? the reason I ask is if he is Heer? he is wearing a rare single button cap. has the cap a cockade on it? or is it possible Luft with Eagle removed leaving the cap insignia free? I can't tell on my monitor. I would assume Luftwaffe due to the missing collar tabs.

Nice to see Officers wearing these tunics and also interesting that the two on the left are wearing Dutch clogs

Best Regards!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                              Kevin,

You could be right that he is Luftwaffe as that would be my guess but it is almost impossible to tell from the photo...I think the one button cap would be the clue. All four are officers but none of them have litzen on their M43 caps. The two Heer Officers are the only ones with National roundels on their caps and rank insignia on their collars. So I assume that the two Officers to their right are Luftwaffe Officers without any insignia. You frequently see sandals or clogs being worn by POW's

All the Best,

Bill
                              Indeed another nice photo, and true, almost impossible to tell, but if you look carefully it appears to me that you can see a clear 'ghost' on his cap where once a LW eagle might have been...

Please also bear in mind that also Heer (and SS for that matter, although I don't believe this is one) could already have worn a late war M44 tunic without collar tabs. I have seen that before.
                              Still I would put my money on this being a Luftwaffe soldier.

F.

Comment

A recent find simply showing a used M-44 in wear:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X