• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
    # 779

First the German text:

Liebe Gerda,
    das Schicksal hat heute den Tag bestimmt an dem ich heute in den Einsatz gehe. Mach Dir keine Sorgen um mich, Dein Stern wird weiter mein Behüter sein. Bleibe Gesund und schreibe mir bald.
    Es grüßt Dich mit vielen Küssen, Dein...(?)
    Grüße Elter von mir.

Dear Gerda,
    today the fate made the decision that today i will have my first sortie. Don't be worried about me your star will continue to be my guardian. Keep well und write soon.
    Regards and a lot of kisses#Yours

Give my regards to the parents.
    sign....?

Gerdan
    Vielen dank Gerdan!
    His name is Egon Kuba, could it be signed with that?
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

It could be Egon !

Gerdan

Comment

# 778
        letter 1 - front :

Liebe Mutti,
        Hier in Rußland ist ein Tag nichts und zwei Tage sind nicht viel, und deshalb sitze ich noch immer auf Strecke. Das heißt ich bin noch nicht bei meiner Kompanie angekommen. Dafür habe ich mir heute meine beidenFüße (Fersen) leicht angefroren. Ich bin ein paar Minuten daraufhin im Schnee barfuß gelaufen und es ist wieder O.K. Nun hoffe ich in den nächsten 2 Tagen bei meiner Kompanie einzutreffen, dann werde ich Dir meine neue Anschrift zusenden.
        Dr, Pepi, Menge und Heidi libe Grüße,
        Dein Friedrich
        Grüße bitte Königs und Frickes.

Dear Mutti,

here in Russia one day is nothing and two (days) are not very much, so I am still on the road. That is to say I still did not arrive at my Co. Isted today I have frozen my 2 feet (heel) a bit. Thereupon I walked some minutes in the snow barefoot and now it is OK again.
        Now I hope to arrive in the next 2 days to my company. Then I will sent you my new address.
        Regards, say hello to Pepi, Menge(?) and Heidi
        love Yours Friedrich

Give my regards to Königs and Fricke

Gerdan

Comment

That's so sad that this fellow went MIA just 6 days after writing these letters. That means he just got to his company and within just 4 days, he was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            # 778
            letter 1 - front :

Liebe Mutti,
            Hier in Rußland ist ein Tag nichts und zwei Tage sind nicht viel, und deshalb sitze ich noch immer auf Strecke. Das heißt ich bin noch nicht bei meiner Kompanie angekommen. Dafür habe ich mir heute meine beidenFüße (Fersen) leicht angefroren. Ich bin ein paar Minuten daraufhin im Schnee barfuß gelaufen und es ist wieder O.K. Nun hoffe ich in den nächsten 2 Tagen bei meiner Kompanie einzutreffen, dann werde ich Dir meine neue Anschrift zusenden.
            Dr, Pepi, Menge und Heidi libe Grüße,
            Dein Friedrich
            Grüße bitte Königs und Frickes.

Dear Mutti,

here in Russia one day is nothing and two (days) are not very much, so I am still on the road. That is to say I still did not arrive at my Co. Isted today I have frozen my 2 feet (heel) a bit. Thereupon I walked some minutes in the snow barefoot and now it is OK again.
            Now I hope to arrive in the next 2 days to my company. Then I will sent you my new address.
            Regards, say hello to Pepi, Menge(?) and Heidi
            love Yours Friedrich

Give my regards to Königs and Fricke

Gerdan
            Thanks a lot for translating the first letter Gerdan. I had no idea that he was that straightforward in his letters. Normally you would expect a soldier to calm his mother, but he simply says that his feet were a bit frozen. Though, his father was a Ww1 air observer (Oberleutnant) and a ww2 major, so I guess she knew how war was really like. Friedrich (also known as Fritz) had already served in Narvik, Crete and Russia (this was his second deployment), so he had already seen a lot himself, so I think he told his mother a lot about it too. It is so sad that he died at the age of 22 and that his body has never been recovered (he's still officially MIA). His remains are somewhere in Orel.

And StuG, the first one of the 2 letters was written 1 month before he died. The second one was written 6 days before he died.

Now I am extremely curious what is written in his final letter. I own 2 other feldpost letters from him, but I do not want to give our translators (who are doing an amazing job) too much work.

Comment

2nd Deployment

Oh I see, thanks for the correction. Still, it was sad he went missing so soon after starting his second deployment. Too bad they an't go find German remains like they do American.

Comment

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
                Oh I see, thanks for the correction. Still, it was sad he went missing so soon after starting his second deployment. Too bad they an't go find German remains like they do American.
                I'm not sure if the Russians allow that. I just hope that his remains aren't visited by grave robbers...

In the letter which was sent to his parents when he went MIA, the Oberleutnant also wrote that their co-commander and many soldiers of his platoon were also killed. So while he was looking for his company, he was actually searching his final resting place...

Comment

Here are two photos of Ober Leutnant Hans Strichow, who was a Stabsmaschinist on Thor's first cruise. Trying to determine where these photos were taken. One of the photos has I.M.K.K. on the back...??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
                  Attached Files

Comment

Joe

these photos were taken in Montecatini (Italy) March 1944.

Here the German text as far as I can identify it:

"März 1944 in Montec.

Kamerad Schaak macht Meldung seinem Kompaniechef Ob. Lt. Strichow. Rechts daneben Hp. Schwebel (?) aus Breslau, der mir die Marineuhr wieder wegnahm, weiter rechts Ob.Mt. (Ober Maschinist?) Blumenkamp .
                    Links vom Kompanie Chef Marschallo Picolo (Ob. Fw. Hasse), dazwischen Mt.(?) Krükow, der schon nicht mehr unter den Lebenden weilt und durch eine Zahngeschichte vorzeitigen Tod fand."
                    The text on the front side: Im Hintergrund: "Alt-Montecatini" - in the background: Old-Montecatini

Gerdan

Comment

Gerdan: I can't thank you enough. This is really helpful and it is another datapoint for my database. Thank you so much.

I hope you are keeping track of all the beer I owe you.

Joe

Comment

Could be "Miramas", which is a town near Marseille.

Comment

Hi. Need your help with these. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
                          Fotis

Comment

left card:

"Liebe Frau,
                            Sende Dir und meinem kleinen Jungen von hier die besten Grüße.Schreibe bitte nicht früher bis ich Dir meine genaue Anschrift schreiben werde. Rudi Hennig, der Mann von erna Stolzenberg liegt mit mir auf einer Stube. Hoffentlich schickt Ihr Euch gut und passt gut auf Jürgen auf,
                            Hannes(?)"

Dear wife,

to you and my little boy from here my best regards. Do not write to me till I have sent you my exact address. Rudi Hennig the husband of Erna Stolzenberg is with me on the same barrack-room. Hope you feel good and take care of Jürgen.
                            Hannes."

Gerdan

Comment

right card:

"Die herzl(ichen) Grüße und besten Wünsche zum Neuen Jahr,
                              Dein Bruder Karl.

Im Laz(arett) Dez(ember) 1943."

Best regards and best greetings for the new year
                              Your brother Karl

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Paulus_Gun View Post
                                Letter 2 front:

Letter 2 back:
                                My post has vanished into the second page, so I will give it a small bump. This letters still requires a translation.

Regards,
                                Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X