demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bill for your very helpful information and photos.
    Much appreciated !
    Ian

Comment

I believe that these two photos show the same vehicle. What is it? Cheers and thanks, Torsten.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by torstenbel View Post
        I believe that these two photos show the same vehicle. What is it? Cheers and thanks, Torsten.
        close up
        Attached Files

Comment

I guess it can be considered a vehicle...

The wagons

Comment

Hi Torsten:
            It is a medium standard passenger car 4X4. Known in German as Mittlerer Einheits PKW. (Forgive my German, I am away from my reference books)

It was made by Horch, Opel and Ford although most I have seen have been the Horch variant. They were introduced shortly before the war started and seemed to have served well right up to the end. You see a lot of them in use by the AfrikaKorps.
            Bill

Comment

Hi Brendan:

Well, my first reaction was a bunch of Gypsy wagons

Seriously, I think the photo may have been taken in Austria, early on in the war and they seem to be of a series rather than a motley bunch of conscripted civilian vehicles.

That may suggest that they are leftover WWI era vehicles that were kept in inventory by many European countries all the way through the war. Even some were continued in production through the 1920s and maybe 1930s before the more modern wagons came into production.

Since they do not seem to have any distinguishing characteristics such as you would see on a mobile kitchen or a workshop vehicle, I would suggest that they are supply/provision wagons that might carry all of the normal support equipment of a unit.

Sorry that I cannot give a definitive ID but my reference sources seem to be limited to the pneumatic tyred trailers that came into production in the mid 1930s.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SIS 5 View Post
                Hi Bill, hi Larry, hi Hans,

back to a pic of a Krupp truck, posted by Larry 10 - 28 - 2005. I think I have found the correct definition: Krupp LD 3 H 62, a 3 ton - truck, the last new construction by Krupp before the beginnig of the war, first shown on the Automobilausstellung in Berlin 1939. So only a few trucks were produced.
                Source: Bernd Regenberg: Das Lastwagen-Album Krupp; Karl-Heinz Hesse: Alle Lastwagen von Krupp.
                I would like to insert two scanned pics of this truck, one civilian version and one military, but I´m not able, becauss I don´t know how to do. Maybe You can help me.

Thanks in advance

Bert
                Thanks Bert

Yes it is a Krupp LD 3 H 62. You say that only a few were produced. Do you or anyone else have information on the numbers.

Here's another pic in my collection. The truck at right is another Krupp LD 3 H 62.

Cheers
                Larry
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray View Post
                  Hi Torsten:
                  It is a medium standard passenger car 4X4. Known in German as Mittlerer Einheits PKW. (Forgive my German, I am away from my reference books)

It was made by Horch, Opel and Ford although most I have seen have been the Horch variant. They were introduced shortly before the war started and seemed to have served well right up to the end. You see a lot of them in use by the AfrikaKorps.
                  Bill
                  Hi Bill, thank you. Looks an unusual shape and quite interesting to me....do you know if there are any restored examples around to have a look at? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Hello again, Torsten:

It is always nice to catch one's own mistake before someone else does.

I don't know why I identified your photo as a medium standard passenger car when it is in fact a heavy standard passenger car, quite another animal.

Built by Horch and Ford and with the same general history as the medium passenger car.

Sadly, I have not the time to follow the restoration scene and I do not know if any are left but I would bet there are somewhere some to be found. I know the Brits captured quite a few and at least some were shipped to the UK for evaluation and may be in a museum somewhere.

The most numerous mark was the Kfz 70.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill, thank you very much for the additional help. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrister View Post
                        Hi Bill

Another that is similar to an Opel but I don't think it is. Any ideas?

Cheers

Larry

Okay this is going way back, but on page 22 about 3/4 of the way down there is a convertible with a soldier sitting on the door. I am not an expert, but the unit marking on the door I believe is 9th Panzer Division.

Correct me if I am wrong. Great post!!!

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe

Yes that is the 9 Panzer Division symbol on the door of a Steyr 220 convertible.

Cheers
                          Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray View Post
                            Hi Brendan:

Well, my first reaction was a bunch of Gypsy wagons

Seriously, I think the photo may have been taken in Austria, early on in the war and they seem to be of a series rather than a motley bunch of conscripted civilian vehicles.

That may suggest that they are leftover WWI era vehicles that were kept in inventory by many European countries all the way through the war. Even some were continued in production through the 1920s and maybe 1930s before the more modern wagons came into production.

Since they do not seem to have any distinguishing characteristics such as you would see on a mobile kitchen or a workshop vehicle, I would suggest that they are supply/provision wagons that might carry all of the normal support equipment of a unit.

Sorry that I cannot give a definitive ID but my reference sources seem to be limited to the pneumatic tyred trailers that came into production in the mid 1930s.

Bill
                            Hi Mr. Murray,

Thanks for your reply. The back of one of the two parade photos says "Zur Erinnerung an den Einmarsch am 5. August 1940 in Karlsbad". With some research this turns out to be the 46. Infantry Division in Karlsbad, Czechoslovakia in late 1940. There are other photos from the group and it seems they were using alot of surplus equipment (ie: Sawback Bayonets, Gewehr 98 Rifles, etc.).

Thanks again.

-Brendan

Comment

Larry,

Thanks for the reply! This was exciting for me to see because a friend and I are doing some research and want to start a 9th Panzer living history group.

Thanks again!

Joe

Comment

Hi Brendan:

May I start by saying you should address me as Bill, not Mr. Murray.
                                While I will celebrate my 68th birthday in 13 days, I don't need to be reminded of it.

Regarding your trailers again. Interesting it was in Karlsbad CZ. I am not up on the various German enclaves in countries surrounding Germany but the existence of Swastikas all over the place would seem to indicate the populace was either largely ethnic German or at least sympathetic to the German "invaders".

I post here a very poor photo of a similar German provisions trailer in use in Russia in 1941. I cannot positively identify it but according to a book I got today "German Infantry Carts, Army Field Wagons, Army Sleds, 1900-1945" by Wilfred Kopenhagen and published by Schiffer Publishing in the US as a translation of the original Podzun-Pallas Verlag book, it could be a medium or heavy field wagon.

According to this book, these wagons were made, as I said in my earlier post, up into the mid 1930s at least.

Bill
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 118 users online. 0 members and 118 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X