Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone figure out what is being towed by the NSU Kettenkrad in posts #268 and 270? Is it possible that it's a 10.5cm recoilless rifle? Bill, in those last winter shots, do you know which unit is being shown?

Thanks!
    Jason

Comment

Jason,

Sorry I don't know what Divisions they belong to and I looked up the symbol located on the side of the Kettenkrad but couldn't find it in my references. Here is a closer scan. The could also be towing a 20mm Flak or a Pak36
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
        Jason,

Sorry I don't know what Divisions they belong to and I looked up the symbol located on the side of the Kettenkrad but couldn't find it in my references. Here is a closer scan. The could also be towing a 20mm Flak or a Pak36
        Hi Bill,

Thanks very much. Your new scan has answered my question. In the background, directly behind the small antenna on the back of the Kettenkrad, is the divisional symbol of 1.Kav.Div. (later 24.Pz.Div.) on the fender of the truck. I can therefore categorically state that these Kettenkrad are from Radfahr-Abteilung 1, and almost certainly from its 2. Schwadron (its symbol is seen on the side of the Kettenkrad). This schwadron was equipped with quite a few Kettenkrad (I've yet to establish exactly how many it had), including a battery of "Fallschirmjäger-Geschütze, 10,5cm, auf Rückstoß-Lafette, gezogen von Kettenkrädern". This particular battery was under Oblt. Engling.

These Kettenkrad of 1.Kav.Div. are one of my favourite subjects and I've been fortunate to acquire a very good album. I've been gathering photos and material for an article, so I'm quite jealous of your new photos! I really appreciate you sharing them here.

By the way, here are a few shots from my album where you can see the same symbols.
        Jason

- - -
        Attached Files

Comment

...and another one...

- - -
          Attached Files

Comment

Soviet fighters, Polikarpov I-15
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Polynike; 05-07-2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

LW Portrait
              Attached Files

Comment

SS Prime Mover ss 90067

Any idea on the tactical symbol on the left (as we look at it) fender?

Thanks
                Jonathan
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Polynike; 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Another SS Prime Mover, towing a field artillery piece

These two are my first SS related photos
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Polynike; 05-08-2007, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Early Panzermanner
                    Attached Files

Comment

Recently awraded PAB's in silver

Officer sat on bike has 1914 EKI and WB, DRL Sports Badge, PAB in silver and clasp to EK.
                      Attached Files

Comment

jason,
                        very interesting info. apart from the matching symbols dont you think we see the very same vehicle (nr. "6") in your and bill pics?
                        cheers, werner

Comment

Originally posted by werner geier View Post
                          jason,
                          very interesting info. apart from the matching symbols dont you think we see the very same vehicle (nr. "6") in your and bill pics?
                          cheers, werner
                          Hi Werner,

I hate to admit it but I've never looked that closely at that "number". I just presumed it was "G" for "Guderian", as seen on many vehicles in 1941 (1.Kav.Div. was part of Guderian's Panzergruppe). Now that you've pointed it out, it does indeed look like a "6". I'll have a closer look at my album.

Jason

Comment

Hi Werner,

OK, I just had a look through the album and it seems that all the Kettenkrädern carried that same number/letter, so it must be "G" for Guderian. I found the clearest photo to show it (an enlargement of the "G" is shown in the upper left hand corner.

All the best,
                            Jason

- - -
                            Attached Files

Comment

Look at the "leaping horseman" in one the vehicle.

Comment

marc,
                                thanks for the closeup. i stand corrected. ,-) but as you sure know numbered vehicles werent that uncommon. this plus the unusual placement of the "G" made me guess wrong...
                                w.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X