Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Abzeichen View Post
                    Handschar, those are great photos in post #2606 . I especially like the first two of the officer.

In this picture, notice the trees have been "topped off" and re grew. I suspect the new growth is about 20 years, about the period between WWI and WWII. The trees were probably topped off by artillery or other reasons during WWI and grew new branches. It is interesting that they are all topped off at the same heigth.

[ATTACH]941925[/ATTACH]

Hello,

Nice pictures + thanks for sharing => about these tree's. They are topped manually by hand. These tree's are what we call in Belgium 'Knotwilgen'. the word 'Knot' does stand for the topping of the tree.

They where used (and still are) to borderline a piece of land and they need much water to grow. Iff you do not top these this type of tree then they will become to heavy at the top and break.

Such tree's are a common sight in this part of Belgium (West-Flanders) and it is also my guess going on the building that that picture is taken somwhere in Flanders or Northern France during WWII.

Just a tree clarification moment from my side to make clear that IMHO it is not correct to say that these where topped by artillery. I can make you a phew moder pictures of such tree's when wanted

Cordial greetings,
                    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

These are also a common sight here in Holland along the many canals...they are purposely trimmed down.

Comment

Here is a small group of photos on a Luftwaffe Pilot who joined the Bundeswehr German Air force post war
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by W Petz; 04-20-2008, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

#4 He appears to have once served in another Army in his younger days
                              Attached Files

Comment

#5 Here it looks like he just came from his retirement ceremony. I wonder if anyone can identify him as there is nothing written on any of the photos. Also possibly the RKT photos....Hey elwyn where are you????
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by W Petz; 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 17 users online. 0 members and 17 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X