Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
    Two photos:

a Maori soldier in position with his Bren right on Fiumicino river, note the paratrooper helmet on his head
    The Maori soldier appears to be wearing a British para helmet, not a "German helmet" as described in the original caption.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
      The Maori soldier appears to be wearing a British para helmet, not a "German helmet" as described in the original caption.

Thanks for correction! And I'm also more relaxed because have in the head, on a
      front line an enemy helmet ............

Comment

Originally posted by NCO View Post
        Brilliant mufasa, great pic, and thanks for sharing some of the Greek related items, keep up the great work.
        cheers
        NCO
        Thanks .... I attach for you some other photos of the same sequence, taken on
        27th of September, 1944 on the railway bridge at the mouth of the Uso river on the port of Bellaria, the stronghold of resistance, German paratroopers ....
        Attached Files

Comment

Bellaria will be the last battle of the Greeks on the Adriatic coast (a couple of weeks after the 3rd Mechanized Infantry Brigade leaving Italy to return to Greece).
          Note the American "grease gun" of the Greek NCO
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice additions Oriano ! Interesting to see few Tiger and Sherman remnants near the bridge on last photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Luft 76 View Post
              Nice additions Oriano ! Interesting to see few Tiger and Sherman remnants near the bridge on last photos.

Thanks
              0riano

Comment

Hello,

I usually do not frequent this forum, but this thread made for very interesting reading. Thank you for posting.

Too bad about the recent incidents at your beach. It seems all the world is going nuts.

Regards,
                William Unland

Comment

mufasa , Excellent additional pics of those Greeks.
                  Rare to see them in action, scratching my head as to how he got that grease gun.
                  Thank you.
                  cheers
                  NCO

Comment

Originally posted by W.Unland View Post
                    Hello,

I usually do not frequent this forum, but this thread made for very interesting reading. Thank you for posting.

Too bad about the recent incidents at your beach. It seems all the world is going nuts.

Regards,
                    William Unland

thanks William!
                    ciao Oriano

Comment

mufasa , Excellent additional pics of those Greeks.
                      Rare to see them in action, scratching my head as to how he got that grease gun.
                      Thank you.
                      cheers
                      NCO

I think (I found this Life picture ) that the Grease Gun was a peculiarity of Greek soldiers into the "British sector" which they used Sten or Thomson sbm..... seems in 9 para???

ciao Oriano
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sacred Squadron perhaps. Elite Greek Officers and Nco's that fled to North Africa, nice pic.
                        Cheers
                        NCO

Comment

Great thread, hope to be in Italy next year

Comment

Sacred Squadron perhaps. Elite Greek Officers and Nco's that fled to North Africa, nice pic.
                            Cheers
                            NCO

ciao Oriano

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                              Great thread, hope to be in Italy next year
                              many thanks Totenhead!
                              ciao Oriano

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
                                and we go back near the bridge of Tiberius .... Heidrich and his men of the 1st Falls. Div, the 23 September 1944, they were mentioned in the agenda of the OKW for "having rejected 27 assaults in the last 36 hours" ........
                                Nice photo of the Army Parachutist's badge in wear

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X