VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Hi H. Babart,

Excellent portrait photo and this is the first time that I have seen it on the forum. I really like it Bill

Comment

Hello Bill,
        If I may call you Bill.Nobody has said you are a bad guy like wise nobody is saying any thing about freedom of speech and so you had a miliatry career good for you this is not about your family either.But if you are going to stand on a soap box in public and say what you want some people are going to disagree and might just throw a egg at you ,so you have to accept that. This has nothing to do with sharing knowledge just making a couple cheap comments is not sharing knowledge.And by the way my mother and her family where interned by the Gerrys and my dad fought againest them in the free Czech forces from France and England so he fought for freedom and free speech .

Cheers Jack(Rob)

Comment

Jack,

Yes, you can call me Bill. It will not matter what I say from here on... you and Ian have established your moral right and anything else I would have to say you would just pick it apart. I accept that and it's time to let it go!! If you feel a need to further rub my nose in it go ahead...throw eggs if you like...have at it. Cheers! - Bill

Comment

Hi H Babert & Bill,

Another nice couple of pics, I will dig a couple more out tomorrow or should that be later today
            Regards
            Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

I am with you Bill. Lets drop this before it gets ugly (oops, sorry about that) and get on with the show...

I have always liked this photo. A private, original photo of Graf von Blucher after receiving the RK for his efforts to come to the support of 3./1 when they encountered heavy resistance on the way to the Dordrecht bridge. Maj.Brauer had underestimated the defences of the bridge and assigned its taking to 3./1 (under von Brandis) alone. Von Brandis was killed on the way to the bridge. Graf von Blucher was a platoon leader with 2./1 (under K.Groeschke ), and would be killed, along with 2 younger brothers, a year later on Kreta.
              Attached Files

Comment

Eric,

I'm glad you decided to join us again in sharing your Fantastic photo!!! I've been collecting photos for quite some time and nothing comes close to what you have obtained over the years. I remember seeing your name in a few issues of Fallschirmjaeger while I was still in Uniform in Germany!!! Now I know why!! Great background information on Graf Von Blucher and those who attacked the Dordrecht Bridge. I previously have seen somwhere a picture of Graf Von Blucher and his two brothers...I believe it was a Death Card listing all three brothers KIA on Kreta.
                Here is a photo of FJ's which I not sure whether is Italy or Kreta. I'm thinking Italy due to structure of the building. What do you think - Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill. This is a great photo as well. Has a real Crete feel to it to me. Look closely at the guy in the middle with the bandoleer. Super rare first model bandoleer ( 1937 ) with the "double snap" on each flap. I would bet this is Crete for sure.

Eric

Comment

Bill,

Nice picture you posted above! Looks like General Student awarding the EK1? Do you know if the award ceremony was for Crete? Are those loops on his tunic above the para badge?

Eric,

Fantastic picture of Graf von Blucher and thanks for adding the information. It really makes the picture much more interesting.

Here's a portrait of General Student that I was lucky enough to obtain.

Thanks to everybody that participated and for sharing your pictures.

John Garcia
                    Attached Files

Comment

Eric,

I think you have convinced me that it is Kreta after all. Yannis will be happy to see this photo....some of the civilians in the photos may look Greek to him
                      Lets see what do I post next...How about Der Speiss

Comment

John,

That is an awsome piece. Just super !! A private ( non commercial ) SIGNED portrait of Student......

Comment

Look closely at the unit and the date. I almost soiled myself when I saw it...
                          Attached Files

Comment

John.

I agree...Fantastic signed photo of Student In reference to my photo of Student awarding the EK1. I believe that is why there are loops on his fliegerbluse but I don't have a clue on whether it was for Kreta. Bill
                            Here is a photo of two RK winners and a High Party Official inspecting FJ's

Comment

Eric,

Somber photo but you might want to share with others as to why a FJ helmet is sitting atop the grave marker of a Gebirgsjaeger. Bill

Comment

Eric,

It looks like it's dated 20 Mai 1940. This picture is obviously of a grave in Holland. The unit looks like it should read 2/FJR1 but looks like a roman numeral four?

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 17 users online. 0 members and 17 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X