WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giday Everyone,

As many of you know, I am currently writing a book about the men of Sturmabteilung Koch.

Simon has posted several photographs that previously belonged to Ludwig Retzbach, including the photograph above of Retzbach seated on a chair with two of his comrades, (Yes, he is wearing the Kreta cuff title.).

Ludwig Retzbach was a member of Sturmgruppe Stahl, which captured the Veldwezelt bridge on 10 May, 1940. Later, as a member of the 2nd Kompanie of the Sturm Regiment, he took part in the invasion of Crete and the fighting that followed in Russia.

Simon, the photographs that you have posted here relate to the period when Ludwig Retzbach was a member of Fallschirmjäger Regiment 12.

Iron Cross, first class
    It is my understanding that all members of Sturmabteilung Koch were awarded the Iron Cross, 1st and 2nd class.

I have many photographs that show Ludwig Retzbach wearing the Kreta cufftitle along with his jump badge and a wound badge. I also have several photographs that show Retzbach wearing the ribbon for the Iron Cross, second class. What I don't have is a photograph of Ludwig Retzbach wearing the Iron Cross, first class.

Was Ludwig Retzbach awarded the Iron Cross, first class?

Did Ludwig Retzbach chose not to wear the Iron Cross, first class?

For many of us, it is difficult to understand why a soldier who has earnt a bravery award would not chose to wear same. Having said this, I note with some interest that in several photographs I have in my collection that show members of Sturmabteilung Koch enjoying a tour of Belgium after the events of 10 May, 1940, the majority of the men are not wearing the Iron Cross, first or second class.

With the above in mind, could it be that Ludwig Retzbach felt no need to wear the Iron Cross, first class, as all of his comrades also had won the same award? Further, could it be that in later years there was no need for Ludwig Retzbach to wear any bravery awards because it was widely known throughout the unit that he was an "old hand", as shown by the silver wound badge and Kreta cufftitle he wore, and/or a veteran of the Belgian campaign, and therefore he automatically commanded the respect of his men?

Many of the younger Fallschirmjäger veterans that I have spoken to have told me that during the later stages of the war, men wearing the Kreta cufftitle were few and far between. The veterans of Crete were greatly admired by the young recruits, some of whom have said that they were almost too afraid to speak to these "old hands". To the young recruits, the "old hands" were like gods!

I look forward to reading your thoughts on any of the matters referred to above. Similarly, if anyone has information and/or photographs pertaining to Ludwig Retzbach, please feel free to contact me.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

awarding of iron crosses etc... for Eben Emael

Hello Ian,

A interesting read => i can remark the following towards your findings on the Eben Emael veterans.

My experience is only Glider pilot related and there is one glider pilot who did land at one of the bridges near the fortress on 10 May 1940 that only did receive the iron cross 2 nd. class for his merits in the battle !!!!!!!

I don't know iff this was a general rule or rather a exception but he was there and he did send me a photocopy from a picture after the awarding => he indeed is only wearing the EK 2 !!!!!!!!

Cordial greetings,
      my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

G'day Ian,

Interesting information concerning the photos and Ludwig Retzbach. Do you have a photo of him?? I always assumed the photos I had where from a photo album, but the seller split them up and thats all I could obtain.

But it is nice to put some further history and insight into the photos.

Look forward to any more info you may have..... when's the book out??
        Regards
        Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

here's another
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Si

Comment

Guys,
            awesome pics!

Simon,
            beautifull photo this one!!

I love the ones of Fj war photographers "in action" and have only seen 3, including this one!
            The other 2 are in books.

All the best
            Yannis

Comment

Howdy Ya'll

Ian very interesting information that you provided...You have Simons
              full and undivided attention!! of course we all like hearing the bits and pieces of history as well. Since you plan on writing a book I'm sure you want to reserve those photos towards your book Do you have any others you would like to post on this thread? If not no problem...Hard to let this one die so I will keep posting photos as long as others do as well. Eric told me he was planning on posting a few more out of his Junk box. Here is a few of mine Fierce FJ's attacking a bunker!!!

Comment

More FJ's doing some hard training!!!

Comment

Yannis,

I was about to say I am sure Bill or Eric will be able to provide some mind blowing stuff, low and behold, before I can even get to the thread, he's done it again

I must admit the one posted today and the following two are slight cheats, I got them from ebay as repro pic, but I guess its better than nothing. I did see a double album collection for sell on ebay recently starting at 1700 euro's. It look as if it had some really interesting combat photos, but presently its a bit out of my price range as I have a mass extra tax bill looming.

I would get out the estand as eric has some nice FJ's on for sale.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards
                  Si

Comment

the other
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Si

Comment

Simon,

Obviously that last photo was taken in Dutchland. Hopefully this thread doesn't get flooded with too many repro photos!! I'm trying to post only originals but I found out one of my photos early in the thread was not a repro but one of those massed produced series photos. Still we are keeping the thread going with very interesting photos most of which I have never seen before. So I really like that and the background information when available.
                      1700 EUROS Yikes!!! that is out of my price range as well. I wonder how far it will go? uh Hmmm yes I know about Eric's FJ pics on the E-Stand...I've need to watch myself on spending money as well...ex-wife in UK...son in University in UK...empty pockets most of the time...You can get the picture!! I may have to start selling some of my non-photographic items on the E-Stand as well. Cheers!! - Bill

Comment

Having a son and x in the UK yipees, I can see the £££ there.

Do you ever get back to the UK these days??

PS when I say repro, they are when they arrived from ebay post card photos so hence the term repro it was not a photo in the true sense I suppose

PS the two albums didn't go - pro rata I suppose they wrked out at 4 euros each which is not too bad
                        Last edited by Si1964; 05-03-2004, 06:48 PM.
                        Regards
                        Si

Comment

Hey Simon,

I will send you a PM and pinch your ear with some of my sob stories!! Don't want the whole forum listening to my woes!!! OK on the photos!! Still I'm not surprised they didn't sell. Well since I'm on my favorite subject...here is a few more!!

Comment

Maybe Father and Son?

Comment

FJ with MP34
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bill, love that father/son pic. Just super !! Here are a couple more from me.

Would love to get my hands on one of this hand camo smocks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X