David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK guys, looks like I'm up and running again. Glad to be back! Here are some Para pics that I've been waiting to post. 1 has the location "Sousse" written on the reverse, another is marked "Olivenhain" and "Sousse" with "Tunis" crossed out. The first one I'm posting here is unmarked. Enjoy!
    Last edited by para03; 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

This one is the one marked "Sousse" on back.... Anyone know where this is located? How about which Para units were in that particular area?

Comment

This is the one marked "Olivenhain" and "Sousse" with "Tunis" crossed out.

Comment

Here's a close-up showing wearing what appears to be captured headgear (British?).

Comment

....and the last for today. This one has "Der Chef" written on back. Note the Para standing in the background with the camera hanging around his neck. It looks like a full size camera and not the small pocket sized one that the average soldier carried. Could this guy have been a War correspondent?

Comment

Here's a close-up of the soldier with the camera. You can clearly see a large flash mounted on top as well as a neck strap. It's also interesting to note the Tropical boots he's wearing...This guy looks like he's pondering his next shot.

Comment

Hi, Souse is a coastal town in Tunisia, South further down the coast from Tunis, very popular Holiday resort with the Germans now, been there myself, god knows how anybody fought in that heat!!!!!

Paul

Comment

Hey Todd, Great LW tropical pics in Tunisia but I have a burning question....How do you know these are paratroopers? I don't see any evidence of para gear or badges. There were plenty of other LW troops in Tunisia...Flak, Flying personnel, etc but very few paratroopers. - Bill

Comment

Thanks Paul! While we're on the topic of Souse and Tunis, does anyone know which FJ unit(s) were posted here? I'm sure units came and went but I was wondering if there was any FJ unit (or any other Luft unit for that matter) in particular that was based in this Souse or Southern Tunisia.

Bill,
                    Good question. There were other photos that came with this group and here's one of them showing the same guy wearing various awards/medals. I'm not drop dead certain but that looks like a Para badge to me. What do you think?
                    -Chuck

Comment

Chuck,

Yep that is a para badge alright and a Afika cufftitle. Now I'm wondering why they weren't wearing their para badges unless they had orders not to wear them. I know and order as such was given to paras moving into Greece before the operation on Kreta. Maybe they had such orders moving into Tunisia. - Bill

Comment

Here are a couple of others that came in the group. I think you posted an image similar to one of these a while back. Am I correct? If so, it makes me wonder if they were part of a mass produced set or you just happened to get a duplicate. Both of these are printed on period "AGFA BROVIRA" photo paper. Either way you look at it, these images have some great content. Enjoy!

Comment

and here's the other. Love the uniform detail on this one..some Paras are wearing their FJ badges...some are wearing M38's while others appear to be wearing M40's. It also appears that they are all tropical cammo helmets. Note the guy on the far right...he's not wearing any collar tabs but yet it appears he's carrying a sidearm. NCO? What gives?

Comment

Para'a in Africa, They would have gone through Sousse and then Tunis on the retreat. Fjr5, Pioneer Battalion Witzig, Fallschirmjager Brigade Ramke, thats all that spring to mind without hitting the books!

Paul

Comment

Thanks once again for the info Paul. Then that might help ID this next photo. I've saved the best for last. It doesn't get much better than this. Check it out....The officer in the white-top looks like RAMCKE but I believe it ID's him as Gericke from the writting on the reverse. I'll post that image as well. The other officer standing to the left appears to be a Major or above (braided shoulder boards but can't make out the detail) as well as the officer signing the document. The other standing officers are at least oberleutnants. Love the content in this one. Note all the 20mm shells being displayed and the FJ standing at "attention" while his award document is being signed. Enjoy!

Comment

and here's the reverse. Can anyone help me translate this?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X