No announcement yet.

Juncker core dates...opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an effort to further my knowledge and hopefully contribute to the forum I would like to add my only L/12 to the debate. I broke out my cheap scanner and these are the best pics I can get at this time. Weight of this EK is 17g and measures 44 x 44 mm. It is non magnetic. Here is the first pic:[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

To me the date looks suprising similar to #1 in this post:[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the best upclose of my date I can obtain:

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

A couple of more scans:
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

A photograph:
            [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Last the stamp:
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

So please excuse my ignorance I am only attempting to understand these crosses, for me the point is not to prove or disprove that this is a Junker but to understand the differences. If my obsevations are correct it would appear the date is a close match for #1 as previously posted, and as such would suggest that this is a W&L core. My knowledge on what constitutes a typical Junker frame is limited. My EK doesn't exhibit the crunch at three o'clock or the three die flaws I have seen in orther posts, so whether this frame would be considered a Junker frame I am unsure. I look forward to any observations. In my limited way I hope this contributes to the discussion. Thanks for the excellent thread and all the wonderful contributions.
                Best regards,
                Todd

Comment

A couple of more pics:
                  [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Robert :
                    The WW2 Swastika core is a new design and size and not any re-work existing die . These new cores were made by a few companies - like S&L and W&L and sold to others .
                    The existance of the early Juncker EK2 I have shown - answers some of the questions . The very close likeness of that Juncker core to other W&L cores indicates a W&L design and origin and the same goes for the 'slit eye 9 ' cores being a unique feature only found on S&L cores .
                    As shown on the back core of that 39 made Juncker the production was not stoped as the flaws started but continued striking with that die much longer than acceptible quality would have aloud . Why .... tooling was not done and used those cores until their own were finished ... the ones with the tear drop 9 cutouts .
                    Remember what else that was being done at the same time in 39 . The more prestigious Knight Cross Design submission . Starting off as a small company and with only a few workers - IMO had to make a big decisions and did ,.... Core dies for the EK1 and 2 - the lower grades had to wait ! Being chosen(allowed) to produce the Grand ,or Knight Cross raising the company image over night was more important . Make do otherwise until Juncker could get back to the lower grades . The more important part of the Iron Cross - is the frame ! The core did not matter too much . Juncker using many cores shows this .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Todd ;
                      The core list you are showing is not the last updated one . There is a chart put together from Roberts and mine that has more used cores - but only -maybe - all of them . Your core is in there . I have one and is marked as - B- !
                      Robert had started this thread using visuable 3 flaw frames . To be more complete the reworked Juncker frames and cores should be included and then the EK1 pins etc ... turning this thread into a monster . I did not start one yet knowing this would happen . A complex involved study where I was planing seperate segments .
                      Both W&L and Juncker ( with a 'c' - without a 'c' is the aircraft with the name Junker)... both have re-worked dies and easy to destinquish . Your frame is off a re-worked die ... Can you scan the cross at the highest resolution 400 or 600 if it has would be good , and cut picture down to posting size- to see the corner where the crunch bead would be .

Douglas
                      Attached Files

Comment

Douglas,
                        Awesome scope and breadth of knowledge regarding these! Thank you for your reply. Give me a few minutes to work ith this scanner, its my wife's, to see If I can get a better resolution.
                        Best regards,
                        Todd

Comment

Some more pics with better resolution:
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X