WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is one Souval cross I do happen to like!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Darrell; 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM.

Comment

That's a mature approach Darrell Last time Uwe offered an "opinion" about the DRL, you reacted in the same way and you got your "facts" from the same author you so easily dismiss now. At that time Uwe came through with real evidence and you conveniently sold all your DRL badges. Or are you still claiming these to be good?

I enjoy collecting as well as having a dialogue with other collectors. These discussions are mainly the foundation of the consensus we share. Any piece of regalia should stand up to it's own merits and the interpretation of these merits must be left the individual to decide what is plausible. Getting nervous over one man's opinion, that is pathetic, but why shoot the messanger instead of delivering some "facts" supporting our view?

cheers
      Peter

Comment

Last edited by Darrell; 07-27-2008, 12:56 AM.

Comment

No one should sell his stuff based on one man's opinion.

In this case, as well as in other cases, there is no proof from either side.
          Man, that would be easy.....

Because of the lack of evidence we have our opinions, which can be discussed here.

If all discussions take this turn, it's time to quit.

Please use this thread to discuss the Souval pieces in general, or this particular one.
          There is another forum where name-calling and mud-slinging is normal, please don't do it here.
          It will only lead to another interesting thread to be closed down due to ill behaviour.

Discussion here are meant to exchange facts and opinions, show new stuff etc, please keep it that way.

Thanks!

Regards,
          Ben

Comment

Last edited by Darrell; 07-27-2008, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Darrell, 95% of what we believe to be facts, actually are nothing but opinions. Yesterdays opinions are the facts of today, due to perpetual discussions. Even the facts of today are not written in stone, DRL and Wiedmann are good examples. The right to evaluate various opinions is not for you to decide over, that's the collector's privilege.

I don't have any smokin´ gun and perhaps I'm just another dimwhit who finds it interesting the hear the thoughts of others.

I woke up one morning 35 years ago and decided to collect German badges. My first badge was an un-marked R.K. GAB. Did I know that at the time when I purchased it? Of course not, where on earth would I pick up that information! Do I know it today? No I don't, but I think it's plausible to believe it's actually R.K. who produced those badges, thanks to the excellent detective work performed by collectors throughout the years. Contrary to what you might believe, I'm not heretic

In 1973, the Souval topic had been delt with in Angolia's book and the general opinion wasn't favourable, wouldn't you agree. Gradually new opinions surfaced and now we're facing, apart from the ones mentioned here, at least five different types of R.S. markings, all considered originals. I haven't kept track of how this transformation in views took place, but perhaps you can direct me towards the initial discussions.

cheers
              Peter

Comment

Last edited by Darrell; 07-27-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Ben,

I liked your cross so well I decided I had to have one too. 'Jimmy' sold me his. Looking very closely at this cross now that it's arrived I can say it's identical to my unmarked example, excluding the brass core. The paint on this cross is glossy compared to my unmarked iron-cored example. A question: Which came first, the marked brass-cored example with the glossy paint, or the other?

Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                          ...A question: Which came first, the marked brass-cored example with the glossy paint, or the other?

Robert
                          That is a tough question.
                          LDO marked crosses are produced later in the war and the production of EKs with brass cores supposedly ended early in the war.

It is had to determine when a brass cored LDO marked cross was made.

Best Regards,
                          Stephen
                          Last edited by zambrotta11; 07-26-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Yes, and the core is very glossy. Hope this photo catches it...

Robert
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hello to all, I am not a big collector of EK's and most of the ones I have have come from returned New Zealand soldiers. That's why I have kept them.

I have one EK1 with a brass center marked "L/58" on the pin. Until I read this thread I have never seen another.

Will go back and check my notes but I have a strong feeling that the NZ veteran got this one in North Africa because I remember thinking at the time I had had more than one with a brass center from North Africa and wondered if they were being supplied from KM Naval stores close to Africa.

Now before anyone tells me that this veteran was confused or had got stuff to impress people, I want to say thay he was not and had not.

He did not really want to talk about the war much, had seen the Germans kill and had seen Germans killed. I could say more but are best not too. His stuff was quietly tucked away and he sold it to me because I was interested and he was not far from moving into a rest home due to a war wounded body which was packing up not his mind however.

Will find mine and post images to try and help settle this debate but for now I can confirm that L/58 EK1's made before May 1945 and were brought back from WW2,

Chris

Comment

Thank you Chris,

We'd love to see the images you have. And, thank you for sharing your collecting thoughts with us. It's very interesting.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X