West German Polizei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kees,

Here is a picture of an Hanomag L28 used as a radio vehicle by the BGS in their early years.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Comment

Kees,

I have been doing some research on Germany licence plates. I can not find any town/district/state etc. that used the single letter "W" at any time. Also, if it was a post war police car the licence plate would start with POL. Notice the BG on the BGS car I posted pictures of.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,
        thought W was for Wuppertal in BRD, as Kees already say - but the license plate appear in Austrian format of the time, for Wien. German are slightly different. So could be civilian auto? If these were sold to civilian market - I am not expert. I found a few photos of the NRW blue uniform and they are different - only one large police star and no kokarde at the time, so that annul the earlier theory of mine.

I give Kees right - I suspect photo could be an Austrian policemen in conversation with civilians.

From Wikipedia.de is Austrian plate from 1970s:

Comment

license plates

If you do a google picture search of the Hanomag L28 it is difficult to find two alike.
          The nose is pretty much the same on all but the build-up on the back is so versatile as it can be.
          The one in the picture I've posted is probably just a civilians transport car stopped by an official.
          About the license plates;
          In this wiki link, W stands for Württemberg-Baden 1950-1956.
          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...en_(historisch)
          And in this link The W stands for Wuppertal city.
          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d..._Deutschland#W
          But in my case Klaus is probably right it is a Wien plate in Austria with probably an Austrian policeman beside it.

kees

Comment

Kees,

I believe that it is an Austrian policeman (probably Gendarmerie). They had light grey tunics and dark coloured pants. The hat fits as well. The cap cord looks like the one they wore. The cap badges are hard to see but good fit as well. Nice photo by the way. Austrian Gendarmerie hat below.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

Some new snapshots in my collection with a variety of uniforms.
              One person with a double breasted tunic has a different cap badge then the others.
              Maybe a navy guy or water police.

Attached Files

Comment

Class of 1957.
                The double chinned teacher looks a bit like a character from a German TV krimi series.

Attached Files

Comment

All kind of mostly work clothing .
                  Attached Files

Comment

All these pictures are from the fifties and came together as a lot.
                    Attached Files

Comment

After a wobbly ride it's time for a break.
                      Note the Marlon Brando lookalike.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The top one has writing on the back; am Hercules,Kassel 11-9-51.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Two great shots but unfortunately not to clear.
                          BMW (R17 ?) with Steib sidecar and POLIZEI license plate.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
                            Bei der Fahrschule ,is written on the back.
                            Doesn't say where.
                            Again a BMW possible R17 motorcycle with the famous Steib sidecar.
                            I can't read the streetsign in the back sadly.
                            All the best,

Kees
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great pictures !

Most possible the roadsign says "Einbahnstrasse" (onewaystreet) ...

Jens

Comment

Kees,

Great photos! What a diverse assortment of uniforms. Six button and 4 button tunics, water police tunics, work clothes, leather coats, hats with and without the cocakde! A treasure trove of uniform information. Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X