No announcement yet.

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked my drillich, on the back of the collar there's signs of rectangular sewing, at least at the 4 corners, about 6X2cm, so the Italian thing probably checks out

Comment

Excellent! Now we know what this is and we know what it isn't. That's a good day's work for any day of the week

Steve

Comment

I bought a set of BGS unidorm items back in the 80's. It consisted of a Tunic, unissued pair of trousers with the paper tag still attached, an M43 style cap, uniform shirt with tie, and a raincoat. Here is the tunic.

Comment

Sorry, unless you've paid PhotoBucket their blood money we're never going to see those pics. (obligatory fist shaking and dirty words spoken about PhotoBucket).

Steve

Comment

Hi all...couple of updates to the BGS display...
            Recently picked up a BGS marked mess tin and another rain poncho (the other is folded up in the breadbag on the other display..

An earlier BGS helmet (replacing my other one, as it is the later moss green variant) also an "LS" Linnemann Schnetzer maker, dated 59..shell size 66?? or vice versa!!?? liner large size 58-61 and a biro "E" on the sweatband....name??
            I added my BGS issue net from my other helmet for display..

Also.. i picked up this BGS hat... and added the missing cockade...is this the correct type for that hat I wonder???

Last edited by austromunga; 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Nice additions!

The badge you put on the hat is correct. There's only minor and non-BGS specific variations in the production of these cockades over the decades.

Steve

Comment

BGS helmet has the later liner with the vent holes in the brow area, but most older shells were also refurbished. Probably late 60s-early 70s in this configuration, so fit timeframe of your setup. The paint not really change from earlier anyway. "59" could possibly be the date, have not seen dates in shells before, but the "LS" is the earlier stamp for Linnemann & Schnetzer, before they introduced the logo.

Kokarde is correct colours, but should have a black felt centre. The 1-piece ones with metal centre are 80s or 90s and later.

Regards
                Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                  Kokarde is correct colours, but should have a black felt centre. The 1-piece ones with metal centre are 80s or 90s and later.
                  Yup! Good point. This was true for Polizei as well, now that you mention it.

Steve

Comment

Thanks guys
                    I think I have the cockade you mention.... but if I recall correctly, i think I fitted it to an late 50's BW field hat!!!
                    talking hats....
                    I recently picked up these three in a job lot...a pair...with the single side vent and stitching to the peak...with the green background woven cockades?? 63 dated, size 56, maker Georg Grote, Mariensee, ..
                    and one of different type twin side vent and stiff insert with no stiching...
                    robbed out cockade and buttons, G.U.F. Brand, maker difficult to make out...*****dorf???? also 63' dated, size 56, Driftmann named....

Comment

A HUGE batch of these came out at one time a couple of years ago. Most I saw had the cockades and buttons removed. All from the same year of 1963 that I saw, small sizes.

The ones with single vent holes on each side, along with the stitched brim, means it is BGS/Polizei. I would say BGS, but the cockade is more consistent with Polizei and not BGS (theirs were nearly identical to BW, gray background). Both BGS and various Polizei forces used very similar uniforms in similar (and dissimilar) cloth starting in 1963.

The type with two vent holes on each side, along with stiff non-stitched brim, is a bit of a mystery item. My view is it's for the civilian personnel employed by the Bundewehr for base security duties. The cloth is pretty consistent with those uniforms.

I wish there was someone that could give us definitive answers on these!

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve
                        none BGS!! ohh well better luck next time..they came in a job lot with other stuff, I was really after......just out of interest..would the "work" hat use the same BW cockade and two hole buttons??? if I find some spare ones I might try to repair it!!

Comment

Originally posted by austromunga View Post
                          Thanks Steve
                          none BGS!! ohh well better luck next time..
                          Well, I'm not 100% sure but that is my guess.

they came in a job lot with other stuff, I was really after......just out of interest..would the "work" hat use the same BW cockade and two hole buttons??? if I find some spare ones I might try to repair it!!
                          Yes, I think that is the case. I restored my hat with a similar used condition BW cockade and buttons I took off another hat (I bought 5 at one time, I think). It is tricky to put the cockade back on correctly because these hats are cockade is sewn through the outside material only. Here is how I restore such hats:

1. Delicately cut the stitches on the liner seam behind the cockades.

2. Pin the liner as far away from the cockade area as possible

3. VERY carefully sew the cockade on from the front of the hat. It's easy to accidentally stitch into the liner, so stop frequently and make sure the liner hasn't shifted into the path of the stitching.

4. Use a curved needle and do concealed stitching to close up the liner. Leave long tails and tuck them into the liner after you remove the needle.

I've done quite a few hats like this and the method works well, but it is frustrating if you hit the liner. gotta pull the stitching and start over again!

Steve

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140473.../shares/uCAN63
                            Last edited by sdacbob; 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Found one of those early helmet liners here in Holland, very random thing to turn up here, hoping to find another early shell sometime where it fits in.

It's different than my other one in that this one is the type with the metal ring and springs that attach to the rivets, instead of my older one attaching directly to the liner ring made of leather IIRC, I should check that.

The 58-59 marking should be the headsize, what would the 61 be, measurement outside that ring?
                              And what size shell would this go in, maybe 61 means it should have a 61 shell or so?

Oh yes and the bag is unrelated to BGS.

Comment

Does this look like the correct patch for the moleskin summer uniform? I just got it today in the mail.
                                Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                                that patch is incorrect. Not exactly sure what it is for, but is later. The moleskin tunic patches are identical to the wool ones, but the eagle is embroidered on moleskin material instead of wool. They appear loose sometimes on ebay.de, i have bought another one there a couple years ago.

Regards
                                Klaus
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X