No announcement yet.

West German Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mannequin at the Panzer Museum in Muenster Laeger is wearing a ventless M35/53.
    Attached Files

Comment

Berlin BEPO M35/53

West Berlin's para-military Bereitschaftpolizei were also issued with the ventless M35/53 in blue-gray. Bruno Murgia reports that he knows of a BGS trooper who was issued with a blue-gray BEPO M35/53 during basic training in 1973 (BEPO production over run?).

Retired BEPO and WAF member SvenWittnebel reports that BEPOs with big heads were issued with re-worked TR era M-42s painted in blue-gray.

My example is stamped "71" on the shell with a size 57-61 liner.

TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

Interior View

Interior View of the BEPO M35/53.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bgs & Bepo M35/53

Side by side view of the BGS and BEPO M35/53.
          Attached Files

Comment

Klaus - The liner looks the Römer FJ 60 model which is frequently seen in BRD Polizei helmets. This type of liner was adapted early on and remained in limited production until 1985.

That was great info on the chin strap; you learn something new everyday!

Thanks - TJ

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
            The so-called M60 Stahlhelm (not sure if this was BW designation) was the first German-made steel helmet used by Bundeswehr, replacing American supplied M1 in 1960. About a year and a half later, it was replaced by M62, which would last until introduction of Gefechtshelm.

The shell is similar to M1, but liner differs from M62 in attachment and is modelled after civil model helmets. Single canvas chinstrap has tension-sensitive clasp that releases under explosive concussion to prevent wearer's head from being blown off!

This example I picked up for low price off ebay couple months back. Other than a few dings, it is in near perfect shape. Stamped with sizes "56-58" and named to C. Langerstein. You do not see these very often.

regards,
            Klaus

External view:

Internal view (note liner):

Soldier's Name (C. Langerstein):

Comment

Hello all: I'm new to the forum and was asked to post some of my W. German helmets (which I did). In the past I collected helmets of the world including W. German, but I sold most of those to concentrate on very late TR and early postwar DDR/W. German.

If I say some goofy things, please excuse me.

I understand some of the very first W. German police helmets were TR helmets w/POLITZEI stenciled across the front. I saw one M35 where small pieces of paper had been glued over the decals.

The helmets with the hybrid german/american liners may have been very early manufacture that stressed conservation of leather. I have seen these hybrids in M35/M40/M42 helmets.

Concerning the M53, it was my understanding that the earliest ones had vents and small diamond shapes cut into the circumference of the liner for circulation. Later the steel vents were abandoned and then brought back when troopers complained.

Baer's 'Vom stahlhelm' book has good photos, but I don't speak German. I noticed that alot of these W. German stahlhelms tend to have stubby visors, not full visors like the TR helmets.

That TR spring clip on the Q M42 has a pretty thick strap, like an equipment strap. The liner brads and split rivets all appear to be TR era. They must have been really scroungeing for material.
              Cheers, Brian
              Last edited by Brian Ice; 01-26-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

T.J., Brian

My understanding re the vent/no vent helmets is the same as Brian's. Vents, no vents and then vents again. As for the early post war police helmets in the American zone, they did have POLICE stenciled across the front and only paper covering the TR decals. I don't imagine this was a very satisfactory solution to the problem and probably did not last very long. I don't think that the BW were forbidden to adopt the M35 style helmet. The decision to adopt the Belgian/American style helmet was one taken by the Bundeskanzleramtes although we will never know for sure what pressure was placed on Bonn to adopt what was to become the almost standard NATO helmet. The same thing goes for the adoption of the NATO standard (read American) ammunition. This round was not favoured by European armies but they eventually yielded to American pressure and agreed to adopt it. If you own Baer's Volume II you can read the history of the adoption of the American style helmet from page 42 on. There was a lot of work done on the M35 style helmet following the war in steel content etc and it was produced to a number of DIN specifications.
                Unfortunately, for those of us who's mother tongue is English, Baer's English version of his three volumes on the German helmet "History of the German Steel Helmet 1916-1945" in a single volume does not include any of the information on post war West German helmets contained in his German language books. It does give reasonably good coverage on the BII helmet and the subsequent DDR model.
                Keep up the good work guys. Lots to document about these helmets. Too bad I can not post pictures of the ones I have in storage.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

*double post*
                  Last edited by Klaus1989; 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                    Klaus - The liner looks the Römer FJ 60 model which is frequently seen in BRD Polizei helmets. This type of liner was adapted early on and remained in limited production until 1985.

That was great info on the chin strap; you learn something new everyday!

Thanks - TJ
                    The liner was used in standard BW-issue helmets for only short time before the more WH style liner was adopted in the "M62 Stahlhelm". The "M60" was very short-lived, ceasing production in 1961-'62. It is also attached by four small pins (2 on front and back), different from later on. Wonder what made them replace it?

Here is link to differences in M60, M62 and FJ helmets:
                    http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/germanybrd.htm

On different note, has anyone ever found an M1 that was definitely used by Bundeswehr? I know US gave them surplus ones that they used 1955-1960.

regards,
                    Klaus
                    Last edited by Klaus1989; 01-27-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Here's a Blue/Gray Ventless that I have.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What's the EB44 on the liner ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                          What's the EB44 on the liner ?
                          Joe - You might want to try and PM WAF member SvenWittnebel. He was in the BEPO and might know the meaning of "EB 44". He has also shown a willingness in the past to ask BEPO colleagues if he isn't sure about something.

BTW, nice lid!

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                            The liner was used in standard BW-issue helmets for only short time before the more WH style liner was adopted in the "M62 Stahlhelm". The "M60" was very short-lived, ceasing production in 1961-'62. It is also attached by four small pins (2 on front and back), different from later on. Wonder what made them replace it?

Here is link to differences in M60, M62 and FJ helmets:
                            http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/germanybrd.htm

On different note, has anyone ever found an M1 that was definitely used by Bundeswehr? I know US gave them surplus ones that they used 1955-1960.

regards,
                            Klaus
                            Klaus - I have some conflicting information, I'll share it with you when I get back from a business trip to Bundestaat Florida (Orlando).

I've been on a life long quest for a genuine BW M1! I think I may have succeeded, I'll put some pictures up when I return.

Take care - TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                              Here's a Blue/Gray Ventless that I have.
                              Joe - Any stamps or markings?

Thanks - TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ice View Post
                                Hello all: I'm new to the forum and was asked to post some of my W. German helmets (which I did). In the past I collected helmets of the world including W. German, but I sold most of those to concentrate on very late TR and early postwar DDR/W. German.

If I say some goofy things, please excuse me.

I understand some of the very first W. German police helmets were TR helmets w/POLITZEI stenciled across the front. I saw one M35 where small pieces of paper had been glued over the decals.

The helmets with the hybrid german/american liners may have been very early manufacture that stressed conservation of leather. I have seen these hybrids in M35/M40/M42 helmets.

Concerning the M53, it was my understanding that the earliest ones had vents and small diamond shapes cut into the circumference of the liner for circulation. Later the steel vents were abandoned and then brought back when troopers complained.

Baer's 'Vom stahlhelm' book has good photos, but I don't speak German. I noticed that alot of these W. German stahlhelms tend to have stubby visors, not full visors like the TR helmets.

That TR spring clip on the Q M42 has a pretty thick strap, like an equipment strap. The liner brads and split rivets all appear to be TR era. They must have been really scroungeing for material.
                                Cheers, Brian
                                Brian - Thanks for the input. The BGS was organized in 1951, well before the BRD's "world wide wonder" or economic boom of the mid-fifties. Thus, your comments on leather conservation and material scrounging ring true.

Thanks again for posting your pictures.

TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X