Comment

bb
      Attached Files

Comment

cc
        Attached Files

Comment

juoneen
          Thanks for showing you M35 beaded helmet.
          I find the post war use of these helmets interesting. The liner, must be post war? I would be interested in seeing how much variety there is in post war liners used in wwii shells.

langemarck
          The two M34 type helmets.

"DIN 14940"
          Q

"DIN 14940"
          LS

One is made by Quist and the other by Linnemann & Schnetzer, correct? So these must be post war made helmets. Nice to see Quist was making fire helmets as well.

Gordon
          Seeing two DIN#s for two companies side by side I understand now what you said earlier about the DIN # being a "specification classification for manufactured items made in West Germany".

Thanks to all for your posts. This is most informative.

George

Comment

"Nice to see Quist was making fire helmets as well."

I should have said "civil type" not necessarily fire...

George.

Comment

Originally posted by myddrcaps View Post
              juoneen
              Thanks for showing you M35 beaded helmet.
              I find the post war use of these helmets interesting. The liner, must be post war? I would be interested in seeing how much variety there is in post war liners used in wwii shells.

langemarck
              The two M34 type helmets.

"DIN 14940"
              Q

"DIN 14940"
              LS

One is made by Quist and the other by Linnemann & Schnetzer, correct? So these must be post war made helmets. Nice to see Quist was making fire helmets as well.

Gordon
              Seeing two DIN#s for two companies side by side I understand now what you said earlier about the DIN # being a "specification classification for manufactured items made in West Germany".

Thanks to all for your posts. This is most informative.

George

your'e right about the two helmets George.
              I'm sure quist used the DN markings during war, but the DIN markings are all post war IMO. It's indeed also interesting to know these were made postwar also.
              Any idea about originality of the Bayern decals?

Comment

according information given by L baer in his german book part 3, DIN nr 14940 was introduced since 1954.
                If someone else has that book, and understand more German than I, please check it out and confirm.

Comment

langemarck

Found these at Stephan.de

Decal, police Bavaria, Star for steel helmet

protection helmet, police Bavaria

Im to new to this to make an opinion, but the decal looks like the one on your helmet.

George

Comment

I have a police helmet...think its coastal polizei ...wartime ....got it from a vets estate...it has the same mark, but might be a different serial number...let me see if i can scrounge up the photos of the mark i took.

I already posted the beaded polizei style helmet last year or maybe the year before, but there wasn't enough other relative stuff at the time posted like your thread covers now, wich is a very good thread ..by the way.

The decals are all cities, and i dont think they are fakes. The silver tray i got had like a dozen city crests, and Berlin of course is the bear... but id have to look the others up now...but the point is...i think IMO they are all good.

I wouldn't suggest altering them. If the guy sent for them...they must be alright , and maybe were being phased out at the time. All nice examples...someday with the quality ..they will most certainly appreciate as a legitimate part of the stahlhelms history , even though some aren't steel.

They may become rarer, since this style wasnt around long...possibly some shells being utilized early on from wartime stock. But we will have to wait and see...who knows what helmets like that may lurk in the shadows...only the shadow knows for sure.

Comment

langemarck

Found these at Stephan.de

Decal, police Bavaria, Star for steel helmet

protection helmet, police Bavaria

Im to new to this to make an opinion, but the decal looks like the one on your helmet.

George
                      Geroge,

I referred to these decals on Stephan.de before. I think they are fakes. They are offered on other sites as well. Authentic helmets with these decals just do not turn up for sale anywhere. The helmets posted by Langemark are probably correct because they all came from a Police museum some time ago. I would hesitate to buy a helmet with a decal that does not appear in Baer's Volume 2.
                      In particular the ones from Berlin. I have done a lot of research on Polizei in Berlin and have numerous Berlin Polizei articles and I have never seen the Berlin helmets with decals shown here before.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by langemarck View Post
                        according information given by L baer in his german book part 3, DIN nr 14940 was introduced since 1954.
                        If someone else has that book, and understand more German than I, please check it out and confirm.
                        Langemarck,

I think you are correct about the introduction date of 1954. I can not find anything in Baer's Vol. 3 other than that date in reference to DIN 14940.

rEGARDS,

gORDON

Comment

I was of the opinion they were all from the same collector who wrote for them, i guess i didnt read it all the way thru. I suppose they can fake a post war decal. But as you say, some of them are alright. one of the last posted ones looked like it might have de laminated ...but its wierd to think something post war would be faked. I would assume there must still be original decals somewhere if someone bothers to fake em....or maybe the company can still make em that originally did so.
                          I wouldnt have thought anybody would care that much,to worry about fake decals...on these... then again i dont think they have reached their peak of popularity yet to worry too much over. The nicer ones with decals , and are well made talk to me , and will eventually have a list of people waiting in line to buy them. Still a great thread for the complete german helmet collector , and someday may be the toughest to find as their numbers must not be all that great..

You are most likely correct if theres a book on them bender did. I reserve the term repro for wartime items made post war...never considered any postwar item decal being faked. Maybe ill call that a restrike.

Comment

juoneen,

If you visit the web site at the URL below you can buy any decal ever put on a German helmet including those used by the Bereitschaftpolizei post war. They are all of recent manufacture.
                            http://www.military-steel-helmets-an...0Available.htm

I don't consider it "weird" to consider faking post war decals. There are more German things to collect than just Third Reich items and they are just as desirable/collectable. At least in my opinion and that wouldn't even buy you a cup of coffee!
                            Most of the post war collectors, and that includes myself, started out collecting war time or pre war German artifacts and only quit collecting that era because of the huge amout of fake material. I do still collect TR Forestry material as it has not been as heavily faked as the military area.
                            In case you were unaware, the reference books we refer to on this thread were all written by Lugwig Baer. He produced a very well researched three volume set on German helmets up to modern times. These books were translated into English and published by Bender in a single volume, about the same size as one of the books in Baer's three volume set, called "HISTORY OF THE GERMAN STEEL HELMET 1916-1945". The majority of the historical and factual background included in Baer's original 3 volume set was omitted from Bender's book. I have a copy but I rarely refer to it as Baer's original books contain much more relavent data.
                            Thanks for contributing to this thread and for your reference to its usefullness. That was my purpose when I started it. I hope to hear from you again.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

German Quist Post WWII German Helmet Border Patrol

Found this on ebay. Looks like a post war Quist helmet to me? What is sad is where he says "If you would like decals applied to it, please let me know."

I think I better buy one soon before they are all ruined by reenactors. LOL.

What $ amount would you say a post war Quist helmet is worth??

George

PS got my post war used m34 curved dip fire helmet in the mail today, original liner made by EREL DRGM, looks like original chin strap and the two decals are nicely preserved for all time under a thick coat of post war black paint

Comment

German Quist Post WWII German Helmet Border Patrol

Found this on ebay. Looks like a post war Quist helmet to me? What is sad is where he says "If you would like decals applied to it, please let me know."

I think I better buy one soon before they are all ruined by reenactors. LOL.

What $ amount would you say a post war Quist helmet is worth??

George

PS got my post war used m34 curved dip fire helmet in the mail today, original liner made by EREL DRGM, looks like original chin strap and the two decals are nicely preserved for all time under a thick coat of post war black
                                paint
                                I wouldn't pay $250 for sure, maybe a $100 max.
                                Ivan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X