No announcement yet.

Book review forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, it's me again, with some more recomendations....

'Jochen Peiper' by Patrick Agte.
    This is a huge book, 670 pages with small print and plenty of photo's, including some of a HIAG meeting and of his burnt-out house.
    The description of his post war time is a real eye-opener..........
    As usual, with a Fedorowicz book, it is of the highest quality.

If you cannot find this one, another 'must' is 'Grenadiers' by Kurt Meyer, also from Fedorowicz.
    Covers his war years in great detail and his subsequent capture and trial.

Both books very highly recomended.......
    Steve.
    Attached Files

Comment

Trying to keep this thread alive

Comment

Just finished this one a very good account from both sides.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here are two more good books.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian Bianchi
            We once had a book and reference materials forum. It didn't really have enough posts, so in one upgrade it was rolled into the community center. I suppose that now that the forum has grown so much, it's possible to try it again.
            Another thread started elsewhere which may produce an interesting list...
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d=1#post700439

Comment

Part of the same series and a very good read.

Larrister
              Attached Files

Comment

Good idea for a reviews forum but why just limit it to books? Not that I have anything against books - I can't move for the things There is a hell of a lot of relevant audiovisual material out there also. Maybe include computer software and the WWII games as well?

Someone get a poll going.

Cheers,
                David.
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Originally posted by David C
                  Good idea for a reviews forum but why just limit it to books? Not that I have anything against books - I can't move for the things There is a hell of a lot of relevant audiovisual material out there also. Maybe include computer software and the WWII games as well?

Someone get a poll going.

Cheers,
                  David.
                  If we do not put the brakes on, we'll be reviewing everything.

Why not a "review" forum w/subheadings and/or "sticky threads for say AV material, Reference books, games, etc

Comment

I am not sure how to create forums so I don't know the work that goes into them. A book forum that a person could request titles, where to find etc AND where a person could give a brief description of why they liked/hated a book and where they found the book would be great. No need to post cover pages as different publishers have different covers...but the title, author, ISBN and publisher and possibly a rating out of 5 stars.???
                    This is only a suggestion to keep the forum brief but informative.

Comment

As a voracious reader, I'm all for a forum. But let's not limit it to just WWII European theatre. Why not for military history in general, it would keep the forum moving.

Comment

I was thinking just WW II and that would be it....or at a minimum, WW I too. I have 3 reviews ready and waiting right now.

Comment

As stated in an earlier post by myself I think movies and even video games could easily be incorporated into such a forum. We cannot have a forum for everything under the sun, but I do believe that a book forum would be well worth the effort and a great asset to the WAF and its members.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Al P
                            As stated in an earlier post by myself I think movies and even video games could easily be incorporated into such a forum. We cannot have a forum for everything under the sun, but I do believe that a book forum would be well worth the effort and a great asset to the WAF and its members.

Al
                            Thanks for these comments. Seba sounded keen to give it a try but.....so I am bumping this to the top again. Keep your book info coming guys and why not videos... as long as it is related to our hobby .

Comment

Hi guys, I just finished reading a book called "But not for the Fuehrer." It is a book by a German veteran called Helmut Jung. He was just 16 when he was drafted in 1943 and fought excluisively against Ivan on the Eastern front. He was a Pioneer trooper in the 3rd Regiment of 7th Panzer Division and fought around Kharkov against, Mongols, Russians etc. He also got trained as a sharpshooter and was employed as a sniper for a short while. Why did he volunteer for this dangerous job? Because he wanted to get out of the frontline for the duration of sniper training.This chapter about being a sniper was very much like "Enemy at the gates." It also gives a good account of how the German sniper was trained. I have read most German memoirs out there, as that is a big part of my interest and this is on par with "The forgotten Soldier" and "To Hell for Hitler."
                              He was also involved in the destruction of Peenemuende. when he was sent out there on a mission along with a company to destroy it before it fell into enemy hands.
                              I was really blown away by the vivid descriptions of action which the book is full of. But, it was also a very eye opening revealing book about so many other things that other memoirs never talk about. The little things like, how long the average German soldiers uniform and socks lasted for, what sort of cigarettes the Enlisted man smoked as opposed to what the officers smoked (Overstoltz), why the Sturmgewehr assault rifle was so **** and the troubles they experienced while using sabotaged weapons and munitions that were made by slave labour.
                              He talks about using teller mines against tanks, about fighting fanatical Russian women soldiers, what they did to them and to the Mongols who had tortured and mutilated their fellow German comrades.
                              The book is a long read and packed with a lot of vivid hand to hand combat, as well as all the small little details that we never really hear about. These make this tale valid and believable. At first I didn't know how the book would be because the cover of the book was not pretty. Which just shows how we can miss out on a book because we judge it by its cover.
                              I really recommend it because of the detailed personal account as well as for the story of comradeship and soldier humour it details about his fellow comrades with whom he suffered and died. It is full of humour, sorrow, tragedy as well as vivid combat. I have the deepest respect for this soldier and for his fellow comrades because of what they went through and how he managed to survive!

Its published by 1st books, Ohio. And comes in softcover ($21.95), Hardcover ($32.95 or you can download it off the computer for $5.95 at Ingrams books)
                              ISBN 1-4140-3445-8 (Paperback)
                              ISBN 1-4140-3446-6 (Dust jacket)
                              ISBN 1-4140-3447-4 (e-book)

Terry, one can send a MO or US$ cash directly to Herr Helmut Jung's address. I am a little paranoid of divulging his address in public. I have his consent to divulge it if you PM me or email me, but before I put it up on this post I will need his permission first. I just tried to ask him, but he isn't home and I expect him back this evening. I will call him later tonight and ask him. If he agrees I will post his address info here as well as the price. In the meantime if anyone who is interested can send me a PM with their address and cover preference I will contact you with further info.
                              Regarding prices,
                              Softcover is $21.95
                              Hardcover is $32.95
                              When I talked to him last night, he thought that shipping in the continental US would be around $6. If anyone has a better estimate please post.
                              Thank goodness for this forum. I think Herr Jung will be delighted that so many are interested in reading his memoirs.
                              Thanks

Comment

Here's a link to another book thread

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=69337

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X