No announcement yet.

Book review forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another favorite book is "Five Years, Four Fronts" by the late Major Georg Grossjohann. It is the story about the experience of a German soldier who joined as a private in the Waimar era and finished up WWII as a major, earning the Knights Cross in the process. This book is centered about his time during WWII, but does make reference to his past experience in the Reichswehr.

Comment

Book

Bringing this to the top...
      Just got this one a few days ago: "Wenn alle bruder schweigen" with a foreword by Paul Hausser. A massive book, more than 500 pages of photos of the Waffen SS in action throughout the war. Written in both German and English (although it is really a photo collection rather than something you read). A great book to flick through on a dark winter's day...some amazing shots of soldiers and officers, medals, weapons, etc.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T
        Here's another recent read:

Another River, Another Town: A teenage tank gunner come og age in combat -1945 by John Irwin

Short book - 176 pages. Interesting read. The author comes into a tank battalion of the 3rd Armored Division as a replacement gunner right after the Battle of the Bulge. He then relates his tale as he tries to fit in with the vets and survive the frantic combat of the last days of the Reich. Some interesting tank battles that shows the randomness of who live and who dies in street fighting. Shows the constant fatigue of the troops and their quest to get some sleep and something to eat.

All in all, a good book and worth picking up if you find a copy under $8. The book is priced at $11.95, which I thought was a bit high considering how short the book is.

Jack T
        I thought a good book and easy to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Smak
          Blood Red Snow - The memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front by Gunter K. Koschorrek.

Great book. Mr. Koschorrek wrote this book on any scrap of paper he could find and sewed these pieces of paper into his jacket, as keeping a "diary" was strictly forbidden. He would give these scraps to his mother whenever he went on leave but it didn't turn into a book until he was reunited with his daughter 40 years after the war...

my only complaint was that there isn't enough detail at certain parts of the book...but it's a very minor complaint. Get it and enjoy.

Scott
          I thought this one was VERY good.

Comment

Hi Terry, I remember that the book was once banned in the UK as a "whitewash" of the SS. This was back in the early 1980's. I sold my copy, which I now regret, but someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

There are some excellent photos in it

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Terry,

I have a copy of that one, it is very good.
              Another very good photo book is 'Platz der Leibstandarte' packed full of great photo's with breif biogs of Kurt Meyer, Jochen Peiper, Sepp, Paul Hausser, Max Wunche, Fritz Witt, Hermann Weiser and Sylvester Stadler.
              Highly recomended...
              Steve.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Good Flying Tiger Book

I've just finished reading "Tale of a Tiger" by AVG Ace RT Smith. I found it to be an excellant book, to go alongside with my copy of "God Is My Co-Pilot". Has anyone read General R.L. Scott's "The Day I Owned The Sky"? I'm thinking about adding that one to my library in a few weeks.

Comment

Yes, Yes!!! A book forum plse!!!

Comment

We once had a book and reference materials forum. It didn't really have enough posts, so in one upgrade it was rolled into the community center. I suppose that now that the forum has grown so much, it's possible to try it again.
                      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

I vote for that! Especially as a new collector..

Originally posted by Sebastian Bianchi
                        We once had a book and reference materials forum. It didn't really have enough posts, so in one upgrade it was rolled into the community center. I suppose that now that the forum has grown so much, it's possible to try it again.

Comment

Silvercat,
                          Do you answer PM's?

Comment

Keep them coming guys As our Leader says, also include reference books

Comment

Anything by Mark Yerger on the SS is EXCELLENT!

I have his 2-volume series on Waffen-SS Commanders, his Algemeine volume and his two German Cross winners books.

Comment

Mark Bando's 101st books are terrific, a lot of 1st hand veteran's accounts as well as strategic background.

He also has a book entitled "Breakout" about the 2nd Armored Division and their role in the breakout from Normandy summer 1944. I think this is my favorite of his. (Sadly out of print I believe)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...180334-1559223

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X